Old 06-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Urbanna
Vessel Name: Seawood
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Fishing suggestions on a trawler

I am used to fishing off of my Pro-Line 23 foot boat. I have recently purchased the Mainship 390 trawler and I am wondering how others typically fish off of this type of boat. I used to be able to troll some by myself but I'm guessing not on this boat. Do most owners of boats this size float fish or anchor? I notice that there are no rod holders on my stern or anywhere else so I assume prior owners probably didn't fish much. Just looking for some ideas or insight as to how others may fish off of their trawler.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
We installed 4 gunnel mount rod holders on our older mainship 40' for trolling, and had two more clamp on the railing on the bow when we were on the drift.

The new boat had nothing and no gunnels to speak of. We bought a half a dozen clamp on rod holders. 3 low across the stern, two on the fly bridge for lazy trolling/ rod storage, and one on the bow for drift fishing/ holding the boat hook during mooring ball pickups

Previously of "In Sanity" fame. A 40' Mainship from 1981.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Yes, clamp-on rod holders would be the way to go there, as long as there are stainless rail supports to clamp them onto.
Obviously photographing my rod-holders was not high on my list of priorities, so sorry, this is the best and only pic I found, but you can just see one swung in under the rail there adjacent to the stern cockpit door. It is rotated outwards when in use trolling, or when fishing at anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
AE1F362C-9F39-4654-92E8-AC404F387684_1_105_c.jpeg  
Old 06-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
It depends on what your'e fishing for, where, and if someone else is on board. I fish mainly for salmon here in the PNW and I use an electric downrigger mounted on the gunnel in the cockpit. My wife drives and I communicate with her via two way headsets. If I hook a salmon, my wife puts it into neutral and runs back to help me net it.

I personally don't think that it is the easiest way to fish. In crowded "hot spots", fisherman in small boats don't appreciate a 40 foot, 40,000 pound trawler trolling near them.

I prefer fishing out of the tender. We carry a 12 foot center console fiberglass tender on the boat deck equipped for fishing and prawning with a downrigger, depthsounder, chartplotter and a pot puller. I can manuerver the tender closer to the action, pick up and move to a different location quickly and fish locations a long distance from the anchorage.

And I can fish for a longer time in the tender since my wife becomes bored quickly, especially when not getting a bite.
Attached Thumbnails
20190801_135017_resized_1.jpg  
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:45 PM   #5
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Are you asking how to get the new boat to troll slow enough? If so research installing a trolling valve in your transmission(s). Then you can troll slower with out lugging down the engine(s)
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:12 AM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Fishing is not designed into most trawler yachts (I have no knowledge of how a Mainship is set up). No provision to deal with blood, scales and slime that goes along with bringing fish onboard. You need to able to hose all that stuff overboard. No coolers to store the catch. Nowhere to clean fish. No rod holders while fishing or to store rods when not. No cockpit. Large swim platforms that get in the way.
If you want to fish and cruise, buy a sport fisherman or at least a cockpit motor yacht. Alternatively, buy a hard dinghy to fish from.
Another problem for cruisers is the fishing regulations. Most fish have a POSSESSION limit. If you catch your limit but keep the fish onboard, you are done with that species until they are eaten or otherwise taken off the boat. Filleting the fish and putting them in the freezer is not good enough. Then you generally need a license for any state that you fish in.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:34 AM   #7
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Paging Flywright.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #8
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Hey Dave, you'll be fishing in the general same area for the same general species as us. Your 390, though much ,much nicer than our 34, is the same hull style as ours; a sedan style with a cockpit that's too high-sided for serious fishing.
I used to be a hardcore sport fisherman ,always owning sportfish boats designed strictly for fishing (Wellcraft, Bertram, Topaz, etc, you get the idea). Anyway, as I transitioned from primarily fishing to cruising, I knew we wanted a boat that could be somewhat easily used for fishing when we wanted. Here's what we do. When we're mackeral trolling, it's warm and the flybridge works best for us. A couple of clamp-on rod holders on the railing of the aft bridge hold the rods and the lines run down to release clips with 3-4' tag lines to keep the baits low in the water and stop the lines from chafing on the boat. Kind of a pain each time we get a knock-down or the baits get fouled to have to run below to reset the clips but it is what it is. With 2 people, one stays on the bridge to crank the fish in and the other in the cockpit to net the catch. Sometimes we'll leave the rods in the cockpit rod holders and just watch the slightly visible rod tips for any strikes from the bridge helm.
Cool-weather fishing is easier, we just use the lower station with it's combo plotter/fishfinder/radar which keeps us close to the action AND warm!
Bottom fishing and jigging ,obviously the cockpit lower station works best. I can pretty much guarantee we'll never take this boat offshore for larger gamefish but what we have makes do for Chesapeake Bay fishing.
You'll figure out what works for you. Have fun!
Old 06-10-2020, 07:13 AM   #9
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Oh, btw, the rod holders in the cockpit are clamp-on/removable like the bridge. Our cockpit gunwales are kind of narrow for the flush-mount kind. You don't have that issue on your boat. For you, the biggest problem with mounting permanent rod holders in the deck is getting the courage to bore 2-4 giant holes in the gunwales of your new-to-you boat!
Old 06-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #10
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I set my Albin up for trolling. I installed clamp on rod holders, bolted on some down riggers and away I went.

You will need some type of auto pilot if you will be trolling alone.

I Never had a lot of success though. Even dragging a sea anchor my boat does not idle down slow enough for ideal salmon trolling. I did catch a few but am getting tired of having all the fishing gear on the boat and am getting away from it.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I have been trying to analyse what my prior owner did to fish from my new boat. It has an extended upper deck that covers the back cockpit. I know from other boats that having a cover over you when fishing is a pain. It prohibits you from holding the rod straight up or backing away from the gunnel. Almost impossible to solo fish for anything worth catching.

There is also a pole holder on a stanchion on the flying bridge. That would allow somebody to play the fish above and another to net from the cockpit. Not perfect, but doable. I found a downrigger weight stashed in a back cupboard, but I have no idea how or if it was used.

The PO told me that he had installed the extra heavy flywheel on the Ford Lehman 80hp. Normally used on the 6 cyl. FL 120, it also fits on the 4 cyl. He said that it helps run things smoothly at idle when trolling, so I know that he trolled. I haven't tried seeing what the boat does long term at idle yet.

My experience with fishing from trawlers is to not get in with the smaller boats. Yes, they are generally in the hot spots, but there are places where they don't go because of distance, weather, or sea state that are okay for a trawler. I have to get over the "gotta get a fish, gotta get a fish" aspect and then everything's okay. If I really, really, want a salmon, I stop and mooch. Yes, old school fishing involving actual physical activity.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Flamingo View Post

If I really, really, want a salmon, I stop and mooch. Yes, old school fishing involving actual physical activity.
Mooching was my favorite way to fish in the 70's through early 90's. Quiet and relaxing mooching out of a small boat.

I find that trolling with a downrigger is more productable but not as relaxing. And certainly not quiet.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here are a few pics of my setup for sturgeon and striper fishing primarily.

Important boat features to allow my style of fishing:

usable cockpit with good water access
wide walkarounds
ease of anchoring
ability to single-hand when required
rod holders
long handled net
Beer-n-Bait fridge

I sometimes catch big sturgeon, The one in the photo is only 65" but my last 3 big fish in the boat in the past year have exceeded 8 ft long...8 ft, 100" and 9+ft. That's why I added the fish measuring station to the side gunwale to air in measuring (in the boat) and estimating (in the water) length.

I prefer anchoring and bait fishing. If I'm trolling, I'm busy driving and not doing much fishing.

Dink storage is important because, as you can see, it can interfere with fishing. I can either drop my dink lower or launch it and tie it on the hip for ease of fishing.
Attached Thumbnails
65 in Sturgeon.jpg   Rodholders.jpg   20190811_160131.jpg   20190805_195143.jpg   20190806_124835.jpg  

20190810_162756.jpg   Sturgeon Tape Measure.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:27 AM   #14
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Yes, clamp-on rod holders would be the way to go there, as long as there are stainless rail supports to clamp them onto.
That's what we do too!
Attached Thumbnails
Rocket launchers.jpg   in the slip.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
The upper deck covering the cockpit makes it cumbersome to fish from. Like all things boating....boats are an exercise in compromise. Cruising boats don't fish as well as a fishing boat (though certainly possible). Fishing boats don't cruise as well as a cruising boat (though certainly possible). The minute you try to do one with the other, things get a bit klunky.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #16
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Here are a few pics of my setup for sturgeon and striper fishing primarily.

Important boat features to allow my style of fishing:

usable cockpit with good water access
wide walkarounds
ease of anchoring
ability to single-hand when required
rod holders
long handled net
Beer-n-Bait fridge

I sometimes catch big sturgeon, The one in the photo is only 65" but my last 3 big fish in the boat in the past year have exceeded 8 ft long...8 ft, 100" and 9+ft. That's why I added the fish measuring station to the side gunwale to air in measuring (in the boat) and estimating (in the water) length.

I prefer anchoring and bait fishing. If I'm trolling, I'm busy driving and not doing much fishing.

Dink storage is important because, as you can see, it can interfere with fishing. I can either drop my dink lower or launch it and tie it on the hip for ease of fishing.
That’s the sturgeon on the left, correct?

Seriously, nice setup, Al.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #17
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Fishing is not designed into most trawler yachts (I have no knowledge of how a Mainship is set up). No provision to deal with blood, scales and slime that goes along with bringing fish onboard. You need to able to hose all that stuff overboard. No coolers to store the catch. Nowhere to clean fish. No rod holders while fishing or to store rods when not. No cockpit. Large swim platforms that get in the way.
If you want to fish and cruise, buy a sport fisherman or at least a cockpit motor yacht. Alternatively, buy a hard dinghy to fish from.
Another problem for cruisers is the fishing regulations. Most fish have a POSSESSION limit. If you catch your limit but keep the fish onboard, you are done with that species until they are eaten or otherwise taken off the boat. Filleting the fish and putting them in the freezer is not good enough. Then you generally need a license for any state that you fish in.
Alternatively, nearly every boat in my marina, and most marinas in BC, (trawlers and sailboats too) are rigged for salmon. Trawlers often fish in the cooler seasons due to creature comforts they provide.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #18
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I am with Fly!!!

We have caught many halibut off the back of ASD. However, at idle she is too fast to troll. So I set up our dink for trolling.
Attached Thumbnails
17862407_10212531364025875_5629216706746253741_n.jpg  
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #19

City: Med
Interesting read this thread – we are planning to bring our boat from Europe to the PNW next summer (virus permitting), to keep her there for a few seasons. We have sucessfully fished / trolled recreationally on the ocean for tuna, dorade, wahoo, with only very little inshore fishing experience so far.

Could someone direct us to a good guidebook or webpage for the basics on how to fish successfully in the PNW, for salmon and halibut? We have a very workable stern platform, and a good size tender as well. We had already discussed tying up at a fish camp for some days along the way, to learn the ropes from a local pro.

Thank you!
woolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolf View Post
We have sucessfully fished / trolled recreationally on the ocean for tuna, dorade, wahoo, with only very little inshore fishing experience so far.

Could someone direct us to a good guidebook or webpage for the basics on how to fish successfully in the PNW, for salmon and halibut?
Tuna, Dorado and Wahoo are all fast fish. You drift and jig for Halibut, like any other flat fish. Salmon are trolled slowly.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote