Fishing Rod Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I know a lot of us fish off the back or our trawlers - given the speeds we go at are perfect for trolling!

I have a pair of Penn Ally rods with Penn Storm reels. Really like these combos. I cast right handed (though really just paying out) and the reels are set up for left hand retrieval.

Somehow I just can't get comfortable with left had retrieval. Don't know if I just don't fish enough to get used to it and strengthen that side of me. But I don't feel as smooth retrieving from that side. Some times I will turn the rod over to change the way the line comes in at the tip (not through the top eye, which I know can nip the line) to use right hand.

Is this just a function of the fact that I don't fish enough to get used to it, or will I never adjust to left had retrieval?

Has anyone else faced this and worked through it?

The Penn Storms are spinning reels. You're stuck with left hand retrieve and no, I've never gotten used to them either, being right handed. For trolling, level-wind reels would give you right hand retrieve. We use level-winds and mooching reels in Alaska for salmon and halibut.

Last edited:
Just about every spinning reel made in the last 30 years has a handle that can be swapped for either hand retrieve. They are shipped left hand. The reel manual should show how to swap.

Greetings,
Mr. m. I'm with Mr. HW. Unless your reel is very old, the handle can be swapped to the other side. Failing that, it may be new reel time. I fish a fair amount and can appreciate reeling on the "wrong" side.

I've watched bass fishermen with bait casting reels cast with their right hand then switch and retrieve with their right hands. VERY awkward IMO.

I'm not familiar with the Penn Storm model and they don't seem to be listed on the Penn site. Are you sure they're Penn's?

A picture of both sides of the reel perhaps?

Greetings,
Mr. m. I'm with Mr. HW. Unless your reel is very old, the handle can be swapped to the other side. Failing that, it may be new reel time. I fish a fair amount and can appreciate reeling on the "wrong" side.

I've watched bass fishermen with bait casting reels cast with their right hand then switch and retrieve with their right hands. VERY awkward IMO.

I'm not familiar with the Penn Storm model and they don't seem to be listed on the Penn site. Are you sure they're Penn's?

A picture of both sides of the reel perhaps?

Sorry mis-typed! (After hosted a dinner for 25 last night!).

PENN Squalls.

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-1292938...squall&qid=1580129136&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-4

Last edited:
I'm right handed but I like the left hand retrieval. Cast with the right, jig and work the rod with the right, crank with the left.
anything else would be very awkward IMO.

Greetings,
Mr. m. Ah. Well, you're not going to be casting with THAT baby. Not meant for it so you'll simply have to practice holding the rod with your left hand and cranking with the right. You gotta fish more.

My comments in post #7 assumed you had a spinning reel. Completely different animal. As mentioned, the handles on spinning reels can be switched over to right or left hand retrieve. Cast with the right, retrieve with the left.

That being said...the units you have are fine for trolling but I find them awkward for bottom fishing. I prefer a spinning outfit for general "plinking" and bottom fishing but that's just me. I'm sure there are thousands who DO use the Squalls for bottom fishing. It's pretty well what you get used to IMO.

Another alternative is simply buy new equipment. You already have a good trolling set-up so spinning gear is next on the list. You can most probably get a half decent combo for less than $200.

Last edited:
I’ve been in the charter fishing business for 25 years. Just got into the cruising “business” a couple of years ago.

A spinning outfit like you’re describing is actually set up for right handed people. On a spinner, all the reel is there for is to take up the slack line.

They are designed for the rod to do all the work with the right arm.

We have a saying we use all the time, “lift up and wind down” Meaning that you don’t turn the handle as you lift the rod. Use the handle to wind the line in as you lower the rod towards the fish. Always keeping a bend in the rod.

Ok those are conventional reels. They are “right hand “ reels believe it or not. Left hand versions of conventional revolving spool reels are cranked with the left hand. You won’t find lefties that big. There is no way that I know of to convert them to the other hand.
Right handed spinning reels are cranked by the left hand but can be swapped.
It would be worth the while to stop by a good tackle shop to try out a few of each.

Greetings,
Mr. CE. To whom is your comment directed? I don't understand your post. Perhaps we're talking about the same thing and using different terminology.

Edit: Mr. HW. Spinning reels can be cranked with either hand depending on the orientation of the handle. So by your description of right handed vs left handed, any reel is described by the hand that does the cranking. Somewhat erroniuos to say a right handed spinning reel is cranked with the left hand, I think.

Edit, edit: Mr. LM. Blasphemy! Keep the current set up and buy additional equipment. Like tools, you can't have too many.

Last edited:
Sorry mis-typed! (After hosted a dinner for 25 last night!).

PENN Squalls.

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-1292938...squall&qid=1580129136&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-4

I'm puzzled - the two-speed lever drag versions of the Squall reels in your link are right-hand reeling models. Are those what you have? (there are other Squall models, some of which are available in left-hand)

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-ree...l-lever-drag-reel/1285663.html#specifications

If yours really are left-handers, and it's too hard for you to get used to them, I'd suggest getting some right-handers.

On my boat we have both, and I've become used to switching. Fly fishing and spinning, I like left hand. In conventional reels, I prefer right hand, especially when cranking in big fish, but I sometimes wind up using a lefty. Edit: right-hand is also easier for me to crank fast, such as when pulling bait or lure up from near the bottom in deep water, as we often do when halibut fidhing or mooching for King salmon.

Takes some getting used to - like switching between my Triumph 650 and Yamaha dirt bike.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. CE. To whom is your comment directed? I don't understand your post. Perhaps we're talking about the same thing and using different terminology.

Edit: Mr. HW. Spinning reels can be cranked with either hand depending on the orientation of the handle. So by your description of right handed vs left handed, any reel is described by the hand that does the cranking. Somewhat erroniuos to say a right handed spinning reel is cranked with the left hand, I think.

Edit, edit: Mr. LM. Blasphemy! Keep the current set up and buy additional equipment. Like tools, you can't have too many.

My post wasn’t really directed at anyone in particular, just a general comment.

It’s kinda difficult to explain it in writing. But a spinning outfit with the handle on the left side is actually set up for a right handed person.

My post wasn’t really directed at anyone in particular, just a general comment.

It’s kinda difficult to explain it in writing. But a spinning outfit with the handle on the left side is actually set up for a right handed person.

Yep, as another former fishing guide I can confirm that Capt Easy is correct. Here's another way to think of it. You don't "reel" in the fish, you pull it in using the rod (and yes, for the love of God, it's a rod not a pole). All of your leverage is in the rod, you should never reel against pressure.

On heavier set ups, like offshore and tarpon tackle, it's ok to reel with the right hand, because you use both hands to lift the rod and then reel with your right as you lower the rod. Most right handed people can reel slightly faster with their right hands.

My charters were mainly for tarpon on fly, all of my tarpon rods are set up with right hand retrieves for this reason, but spinning rods and light rods you reel with your left.

My suggestion is to buy a couple of spinning rods, one 20lb class and one 10lb class. Put braided line on them, especially if you are going to use them to troll, as it casts farther, stretches less and is less prone to twist. My guess is that after a few years you won't use your conventional rods much anymore.

Maybe a little off subject, but what lures do y’all use and at what speed trolling? I’ve wanted to try this but need actual fishing advise.

Maybe a little off subject, but what lures do y’all use and at what speed trolling? I’ve wanted to try this but need actual fishing advise.

Depends on where you are and what you are fishing for. For most species trawler speeds of 7 to 8 knots are on the fast side, except for faster species like Wahoo and Kings. In the Bahamas I like trolling for grouper around the reefs with lipped plugs, you need to slow down to 4 knots or so for that be most effective.

I sometimes troll shiver plugs (sort like a spoon) in open water at higher speeds and we do OK at certain times of the year with Dolphin on them. Rigged ballyhoo can also be trolled at higher speeds, though they are more effective when trolled slower.

You're not going to get much inshore at 8 knots, it's too fast for Spanish, we have to fight off a lot of Barracuda when we troll that fast.

I can't speak for other parts of the country. Maybe trolling for blues would work at faster speeds?

Greetings,
Mr. CE. OK. I think I understand now. We ARE talking about the same thing. IN GENERAL, most people using spinning gear cast with the right hand and retrieve with the left thereby eliminating changing the rod from right to left hands unlike a lot of bass fishermen who cast with the right, switch hands and retrieve with the right using bait casting gear. I STILL don't see how this is correct or comfortable. See 1:45 onward:

The above video is NOT applicable to the question at hand, simply an aside.

Greetings,
MY personal rule of thumb regarding "pumping" the rod is IF the fish is taking drag, pump the rod. This technique is not necessary with small fry IMO. Never crank if the fish is taking drag. Wait for it to stop then start your retrieve. Keeping a bend in the rod is good advice. The bend absorbs any shock and eases tension on the line. Most important with the larger sizes.

Mr. GC. Lures? Bwahahaha....Ask 2 fishermen what's the best lure and get 75 answers. MUCH worse than anchor advice. I think the easiest is keep it simple. A few very basic lures and you're good to go. I'm convinced 99% of the tackle is meant to hook the user (you) rather than the usee (fish).

It partially depends on what you are fishing for but again, keep it simple.

A couple of pre-rigged skirt baits are a good start.

iu
Just clip one on and let out line. They're meant to skip along the top of the water so they're easy to keep an eye on in case of weed fouling. Can be used baited or as is.

Bottom fishing or drifting? As simple as a hook, sinker and bait.

I defer to the pros for advice on spoons or plugs. You could also ask the locals what they're using. There may be an area "favorite".

Last edited:
RT, Good illustration of right hand cast / right hand cranking in a baitcasting setup, handing off the pole to the left hand after the cast. I much prefer this method rather than using a spinning reel since both are 'strong side'. I use baitcasting reels river fishing for salmon and winter steelhead trout up here.

Having fished competitively for many decades I suggest you visit the local fish market and have a few beers. :)

Greetings,
Mr. KE. Sorry. Can't agree with the switching hands method at all. You do NOT have any control over your line during the switch over. Might be for just a second but still no control. Please take note of post #17.

This is a rod:

iu

These are poles:

iu

iu

I have different color jet head wahoo lures for Mahi trolling in Exuma, but I find the black and red ones work best for some reason.

And yes, they are also great for attracting 'Cudas!

Greetings,
MY personal rule of thumb regarding "pumping" the rod is IF the fish is taking drag, pump the rod. This technique is not necessary with small fry IMO. Never crank if the fish is taking drag. Wait for it to stop then start your retrieve. Keeping a bend in the rod is good advice. The bend absorbs any shock and eases tension on the line. Most important with the larger sizes.

Mr. GC. Lures? Bwahahaha....Ask 2 fishermen what's the best lure and get 75 answers. MUCH worse than anchor advice. I think the easiest is keep it simple. A few very basic lures and you're good to go. I'm convinced 99% of the tackle is meant to hook the user (you) rather than the usee (fish).

It partially depends on what you are fishing for but again, keep it simple.

A couple of pre-rigged skirt baits are a good start.

iu
Just clip one on and let out line. They're meant to skip along the top of the water so they're easy to keep an eye on in case of weed fouling. Can be used baited or as is.

Bottom fishing or drifting? As simple as a hook, sinker and bait.

I defer to the pros for advice on spoons or plugs. You could also ask the locals what they're using. There may be an area "favorite".

Sounds like I could put you to work.

How are your boat cleaning skills?

;)

Senor RT. Most of us who are proficient with bait casters (casting reels) switch hands as the lure is falling at the end of the cast so there is no delay. They do make baitcasters with a left hand retrieving, that seems awkward to me but noting is set in stone.

Greetings,
Mr. m. I've found if you troll off the reef in deeper water you'll minimize the 'cuda hits. Meaning past the drop off.

Greetings,
Mr. B. I hear what you're saying. Perhaps I need more practice. Many years ago I thought about getting into bait casting but there were VERY few left hand reels available so I passed. Actually my very, very favorite style of fishing is with the fly.

Mr. CE. "How are your boat cleaning skills?" Very poor and you can't afford me.

Greetings,
Mr. m. I've found if you troll off the reef in deeper water you'll minimize the 'cuda hits. Meaning past the drop off.

Yes, it does.

Trolling for me when I'm out on the boat with the intention of actually trolling is pretty effective. Where I don't do so well is when I'm traveling from place to place and just troll to see if we pick something up by chance. In that case it's usually tons of cudas, maybe an occasional cero or spanish. Like I said earlier, we are a little too fast to be effective.

When I'm crossing the stream I usually run at 14 to 15 knots, so I hardly ever troll then. And I don't bother stopping for weedlines, floating trash etc.

Back
Top Bottom