Fishing Rod Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: I do have a question for the group. Do none of you use electric reels? If not, why not? How deep is the deepest you fish? :confused:

Post #52!!!!

giphy.webp

WifeyB. In my early days fishing was all about catching the largest fish and it was a lot of work now it is about the beautiful day and enjoying life, the fish, if caught is icing on the cake.

Scott a good friend of mine once said real fishing is bating a hook and tossing it in the water and at the other end of the line was tying on another hook and putting in through your lip.

Wifey B: I do have a question for the group. Do none of you use electric reels? If not, why not? How deep is the deepest you fish? :confused:
I am sure a lot of the "deep" fishermen use them...but I would venture that equates to using a split shot when salmon fishing with fly gear...often separating those who limit out every day versus the ones that don't. Been there done that, fed a family for 2 years doing it.

Purists of sportfishing probably don't use electric reels because it is too closely associated with commercial reel fishermen. Heck some purists won't use anything but fly gear and flies.

But if you like eating those deep water fish...I am al for electric reels.... despite purists looking sideways at me. :D

WifeyB. Yes, electric reels have there place when meat fishing, not in sport fishing. I used a Ligram Pittman, mounted to the boat out to 1500 feet, handheld electrics to 800 feet. It’s not fishing but catching.

Greetings,
Mr. B. YOU get it. (post #63)

Ms. WB. As Mr. ps suggests, an electric reel is pretty well a necessity for deep water fishing. It DOES get tiring cranking up pounds of lead from 2000'. Around FL, electric reels are somewhat common for swordfish which are meat.

I fish deep water - in 2000 to 3000 feet about two miles out in Exuma sound. But I troll so looking for Mahi on top water.

It's still a haul though bringing in a bull Mahi from 200 yards.

Even worse when you lose him at the cockpit gate! :(

Greetings,
Mr. m. I hear ya on the bull Mahi. Been there, done that. Hey, try a 30lb Wahoo out 200 yards. The 200 yards suddenly becomes 400 yards+.

Should I be concerned because I agree with you completely? Particularly on the last paragraph?
Greetings,
Ms. WB. " I understand Zen, but don't understand the pleasure in fishing if you don't catch any fish." I told you you wouldn't understand.

Why do some women enjoy the "pleasure" (dubious) of shopping if they don't buy anything (rare).
Why do some people enjoy going for a walk if they just end up where they started from?
Why do some people enjoy watching sports? They're not involved other than as an observer. They gain nothing unless they've placed wagers on the outcome. It makes absolutely no difference in their personal lives if their team wins or loses. They've probably never met any of the players. They've probably never even played the sport. THAT, I don't understand.

Should I be concerned because I agree with you completely? Particularly on the last paragraph?

Wifey B: I enjoy sports with my fave being the one I do play, Basketball. Ironically, I also play tennis but do not enjoy watching it. However, whether I've played the sport or not, I'm impressed and enjoy watching the incredible skills of those who play them just as I do a enjoy a great actor or musician. We can enjoy many things where we're bystanders or observers. Reading books is even in that category where we experience through others.

Hubby was able to sing this song after we met.

I loved Jerry Orbach from musicals to movies and the all time great role as Lennie Briscoe. :)

Greetings,
Ms. WB. " I understand Zen, but don't understand the pleasure in fishing if you don't catch any fish." I told you you wouldn't understand.

Why do some women enjoy the "pleasure" (dubious) of shopping if they don't buy anything (rare).
Why do some people enjoy going for a walk if they just end up where they started from?
Why do some people enjoy watching sports? They're not involved other than as an observer. They gain nothing unless they've placed wagers on the outcome. It makes absolutely no difference in their personal lives if their team wins or loses. They've probably never met any of the players. They've probably never even played the sport. THAT, I don't understand.

RT, I'm TOTALLY with you on this one. If someone gives me the name of a sport team, even a REALLY WELL KNOWN sport team, I MIGHT be able to tell them the general shape of the whatever thingie it is that they bat, kick, or chase around a field, or court, or whatever . . . :D

RT is never wrong!!!

I remember the day over 60 years ago I realized that the others on the boat were holding there boat rods wrong; with the reels on top, the handle on the right, and of course cranking with their right hand. But being a right handed little fella I just got over it and turned my reel up even though it was harder to hold that way and quit cranking backwards with my left hand. I didn’t try to correct them. Take that for what it’s worth.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Re: Post #72. I think you should give THESE folks a call ASAP. They CAN help with your delusions and affliction. https://aamiamidade.org/

I think my biggest life choice that was/is a mistake, that I'm still paying for, occurred on or about October 2007.

200.webp

I think my biggest life choice that was/is a mistake, that I'm still paying for, occurred on or about October 2007.

But.....but.. you wouldn't have "met" me otherwise! :blush:

WifeyB. In my early days fishing was all about catching the largest fish and it was a lot of work now it is about the beautiful day and enjoying life, the fish, if caught is icing on the cake.

Scott a good friend of mine once said real fishing is bating a hook and tossing it in the water and at the other end of the line was tying on another hook and putting in through your lip.

You already caught the big fish!... Watfa!.... the rest is foolishness, pomp and circumstance....:socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom