Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Fishing is Dangerous!

Or maybe some Captain's are a bit stupid? I am guessing he had an open transom door, cant see how you could pull off it off with that sea state otherwise.
Boat sinks reeling in giant fish
Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Stupidly backing down WAY too fast.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Kuwait
Vessel Name: Suzi 4
Vessel Model: 30ft Fibreglass SomethingCraft, 1976
That text wasn't easy to find though, was it?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Here's what the manufacturer, Strike Yachts, says:

I wanted to assist in clearing up the mystery of the Black Marlin and the 37 Strike. As you have read there are many posts and sites that contain justified and unjustified statements. Please know that this is one of those freak accidents and accidents happen anywhere at any time. We are thankful that there were fellow fisherman there and no one was hurt.
However as the boats manufacture I feel compelled to address some posts. As some think the Marlin did not take down the boat. The transom is 3 feet high from the waterline with a 13 ft. beam and a stepped hull does not play into what happened. The engine room was not filled with water considering the engines were still running. There was not a cracked exhaust, loose hose, the boat is equipped with bilge pumps, alarms and a lower helm station. This boat has been chartering in these same waters and conditions for over two years and has backed down on hundreds of Marlin without issue or concern.
Direct from Panama I was told that the sea conditions were not as calm as they seem to be in the pictures and the Captain was an experienced Captain. The seas were full of big swells and large waves. A large wave came over the transom and with the anglers all being in the starboard corner the boat leaned and the Captain in the tower lost his footing while the boat was still in reverse another wave came over the transom. At this time the captain slipped and believed to still have his hand on the throttle putting the boat in full reverse burying the transom into the next waves and swells. You can see how this might happen as you know when fighting a fish the Captain is facing aft with his hand on the throttles and when slipped the last thing your hand is holding onto is the throttle controls.
As mentioned this is freak accident where no one is to blame (not even the Marlin) Guys be careful out there anything can happen…Good Fishing…
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I guess the manufacturer must have little cameras on board so they can explain what happened. That's a weird statement.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Maybe he was "Palm beaching it"!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Dangerous too...
Attached Thumbnails
Africa_3091[1].jpg   Africa_3093[1].jpg  
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. In billfish tournaments they want to get the fish in as fast as possible so they can catch another. The Captain is facing aft and backing as hard as possible. The crew is wearing bibs and boots as they are often up to their knees in water as it comes over the transom. I find it perfectly plausable that the Captain slipped and pulled the throttle to full power astern.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
...I find it perfectly plausable that the Captain slipped and pulled the throttle to full power astern.
I agree. If you look at the pictures. The prop wash is full on. Fortunately, the photo boat was there to rescue the crew.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #10

Tuna fishing I never back down on a fish. Keep the engine in forward and steer so that the pole stays 90 degrees to the beam. If you want to take line turn towards the fish. If the fish starts to run towards you then turn away from the fish. This has never failed me.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvie View Post
Tuna fishing I never back down on a fish. Keep the engine in forward and steer so that the pole stays 90 degrees to the beam. If you want to take line turn towards the fish. If the fish starts to run towards you then turn away from the fish. This has never failed me.
That's usually the technique for smaller boats I've experienced but I think more and more smart skippers have adopted it as backing can be rough on the whole crew to maintain footing knee deep is wash and the boat in general.

On the other hand...no reasonable sportfish should sink because of backing...unless a chain of events happens like what was explained (or something worse that's being covered up)...but it isn't the only way to fight a fish unless it's one of those hook, tag, and release in a couple of seconds so some wannabe can hold a new record which is complete garbage sportsmanship in my opinion....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote