Fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomwellls

Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 52 Europa
Hi we have a 2000 52 Grand Banks Europa which I want to fish from. I have both straight and bent saltwater rods. Any suggestions on how to set up rod holders ?

Fishing is a whole hobby that may or may not include boating.

Not knowing where or what you like to fish for makes it IMPOSSIBLE to recommend even the basics of what you should/might want to do.

Some significant clues to your intentions might begin a fun and insightful thread.

A possibility might be a clamp-on rod holder attached to your SS tube supports for your boat deck. We had mounted a couple of Taco clamp-on rod holders. They’ll mount on up to 1-5/16” tubes. They’re stainless steel and strong. We’ve hooked into marlin and sailfish and they never moved.

https://tacomarine.com/sport-fishing-store-rod-holders-f16-2623pol-1

Attachments

• DA6D1681-4227-42CB-B353-EADD8D0FB3C9.jpeg
    DA6D1681-4227-42CB-B353-EADD8D0FB3C9.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 22
Hi we have a 2000 52 Grand Banks Europa which I want to fish from. I have both straight and bent saltwater rods. Any suggestions on how to set up rod holders ?

Are these trolling rods for tuna? If so the typical bolt on rod holder are not strong enough for big game. A big yellowfin will tear it right off whatever it is bolted to or worse.

We have rocket launchers off the railing around the boat deck. Then rod holders off the sides of the aft cockpit. Due to having a Freedom Lift for the dinghy needed nothing to go straight aft as it would be difficult to play a fish.
Also have 4 rod holders on the grab rails of the dinghy. It a Rigid not an inflatable so no worries about the tubes. Dinghy engine is. 40hp which idles at trolling speed. More fun to fish from the dinghy but going for stripers so the big boat is inappropriate.
I mostly fly fish for stripers(rock fish), black bass, and when south grouper,mahi mahi, Spanish mackerel and bone fish. Thinking of putting a leaning bar on the dinghy. Have found at anchor it’s easy to cast sideways off the swim platform even with the flyrod. Also have had decent luck just setting up lines for bottom fishing. Then use indicators and just check them occasionally. Set my drags high as I’d rather lose a fish then my rig and are usually doing something else.
Trick I learned from a crew while on passage. Take a bungee. After you have let out your line make two loops(that will pull out) and are slightly farther apart then the length of your bungee. This is helpful if single handing or on watch by your self. With a glance, even at night, when the bungee is stretched out you know you have a fish or a bunch of sargasso. Even works if all you have are Cuban yo-yos and no rods.
Found having at least something on the surface as well at least something deep is worthwhile
Once you’re >200m out or off the continental shelf it’s so non productive I don’t bother with fishing. Also the pelagic fish you might catch are too big to handle so you would just cut free even if you did hook up. Can’t imagine fighting a giant blue off a small recreational trawler or sailboat. So no umbrellas (too messy and need too much attention) and no tuna bars or the like. Want nothing over 35-40lbs. Ideally smaller. Only tuna I want to see are Bonita. Remember a small to medium sized recreational trawler doesn’t have a layout designed for fishing. Even with a Billy or spray bottle of cheap gin or rum having a big fish in your cockpit can be interesting. If you’re going for big fish get a sport fish not a recreational trawler.

Last edited:
Want to set up for saltwater fishing have large Shamano Tiara reels and rods. Want to troll as we travel. Want to know how to set up outriggers and strong enough rod holders. Hope I have explained my needs.

I have fished offshore much of my life....

Offshore trolling with or without outriggers doesn't begin to explain how to set up a boat. Even placement of the outriggers could change based on how you plan to fish the boat and who will attend to what duties.

For run of the mill fishing...some rod holders as Larry suggested placed at convenient mounting locations will get you started.

I am well known amongst friends as the worst fisherman on the planet. That said, I'm looking forward to changing my luck with this book - The Cruisers Handbook of Fishing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071427880/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_DZQNY1ZZSBQ5RKQT0VHB

Peter

Fishing while cruising is one thing, setting up a cruising boat for fishing is something different.

Even the way you rig lines/lures, otherwise some days/places you will spend all day clearing your lines of weed.

Last edited:
Fishing while cruising is one thing, setting up a cruising boat for fishing is something different.

I looked at this book several years ago. As I recall, the author has charter/commercial fishing in his background and discusses everything from handlines off the stern to more complex setups. But hey, as I said. I'm a lousy fisherman. My best catch was trading a half-sack of limes for some fresh fish from guys who were great fishermen but had no limes. West End Bahamas. We both felt we got a deal. At least until the no-see-ums took their toll.

Peter

Walk the docks. See a boat similar to yours look carefully at how it’s setup. If there’s anyone aboard chat them up. If the vast majority of boats in your region are set up similarly you have your answer.
As many have said. Define what your fishing for. How many skilled fishermen aboard. what techniques do you want to use. Remember the fish have no idea what rod and reel you’re using. They just care if what you put in front of them looks like food and is moving at a natural speed. Do that where the fish are and you’ll catch them.
PS is right I’ve caught plenty of fish with a $4 yo-yo and a bungee. Always learning about technique. Always will be.

Last edited:
Hooking a fish is one thing, getting them to the boat is another and getting them onboard is even another.

I looked at this book several years ago. As I recall, the author has charter/commercial fishing in his background and discusses everything from handlines off the stern to more complex setups. But hey, as I said. I'm a lousy fisherman. My best catch was trading a half-sack of limes for some fresh fish from guys who were great fishermen but had no limes. West End Bahamas. We both felt we got a deal. At least until the no-see-ums took their toll.

Peter

That might be a very good reference then...explaining the big differences. :thumb:

Here's a link to a panorama shot of me working hard at sturgeon fishing in the California Delta.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=bTVNY05TZmV6MEVkUHZXb2lNVjZEYXoyZG00ekR3

I've got 6 SS clamp-on rod holders and 6 rod balancers across the transom and aft side rails. I've found that covering my rails with firehose (or equivalent) saves my teak rails from damage from swinging 8-14 oz weights used on our sturgeon rods.

Years ago I landed oversized sturgeon in excess of 90 inches on my swimstep before I learned that it was illegal to take a sturgeon over 68 inches out of California waters. Now I use a net for the sub-60" fish and release all oversize fish while still in the water.

Attachments

• Sturgeon fishing.jpg
    Sturgeon fishing.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 16
That might be a very good reference then...explaining the big differences. :thumb:
It's skewed towards the cruising boat, but there's a lot of detailed information that is probably helpful up through mid-level offshore fisherman.

Fishing and deinking

I have surmised that some of you do not leave your wife to run the boat while you fish and have a mate to fetch beer and gaff whatever rises out of the deep .

I suppose you are correct that this is more complicated than my days on a fishing boat off the Kona coast. However,, I am convinced that I can catch our dinner, be ready for cocktail hour and grill our dinner and at the anchor. I know a 52 Grand Banks is not a full on fishing boat but once caught it makes a wonderful place to eat my catch. I agree that it is best not to hook up with something too big. Do many of you fish for your dinner?

I agree that it is best not to hook up with something too big. Do many of you fish for your dinner?

Many times after I drop anchor, I drop a crap trap. After a few hours, we have crab. Very passive activity, as far as work is concerned, for dinner. I find fishing at anchorage much more relaxing and productive. I had to buy a freezer for the fish I have caught. I do single hand much of the time, so fishing on the go can be a hassle, for me anyway.

I have surmised that some of you do not leave your wife to run the boat while you fish and have a mate to fetch beer and gaff whatever rises out of the deep .

I suppose you are correct that this is more complicated than my days on a fishing boat off the Kona coast. However,, I am convinced that I can catch our dinner, be ready for cocktail hour and grill our dinner and at the anchor. I know a 52 Grand Banks is not a full on fishing boat but once caught it makes a wonderful place to eat my catch. I agree that it is best not to hook up with something too big. Do many of you fish for your dinner?

Yes, you can certainly do that.

Our last boat was a sportfisher and I still have a tackle shop worth of gear. On our cruising boat we drag a couple lines when we feel like it and the water looks fishy. We catch enough to keep it interesting and that’s good enough. The specifics vary by area and target species, but lots of fish are caught on stout handlines dragged behind a cruising boat. Keep it simple and have fun.

Yes on passage (early and late or north side of islands) unless theirs too much sargasso try to catch mahi-mahi or small yellow fin. Average ~ 2-3 fish/week. This was with 2 yo-yos. Use the secondary winches (sailboat) or hand to pull them in. Then gaff to boat. Those two lines were out 24/7. Luff to scrub boat speed or go into irons if necessary. Had at least two (usually three) off watch so no manpower issues. Anything big was released. You only have so much frig/freezer room and can only eat so much fish. Small fish are better when cruising.
Now will fish current boat for bluefish and stripers. Again just two lines. Both the admiral and I can helm. I do the navigation. She’s a good fisherwoman. Who ever isn’t helming will play the fish. We’re not talking giant blue tuna where you use the boat to play the fish and keep it to stern. She’s use to fishing from small (18-25’) center consoles so knows the drill. As a kid her dad had a Novi hull which he fished. Agree very hard to fish a boat without two who are interchangeable.

Last edited:
Besides surf and fly rods currently carrying one wire, two branded and two mono. Will only use two lines in the water at anytime. Given we don’t want big fish just using just Scotty stuff on the rails.
Don’t want to deal with dogfish up here so don’t expect to do much bottom fishing but carrying some stuff for that as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom