First Winter Storage on Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First Winter Storage on Lithium Iron Phosphate Batterie

Hello Greg, I shut down the inverter charger to eliminate charging the house LiFePo batteries, in my boat. There is a "recommendation" in Renogy's Operations Manual that the batteries should not be charged when the temperature is below freezing, even though the Manual says the Internal BMS will protect them from charging below freezing. I visit twice a month to check & charge using the shore power.

Oh you let the boat go cold int the water. I am also wintering over in the water but I am heating the boat. I am in the middle of replacing my house banks. Planning on Lithium. I just sent the wiring diagram out. I have 2 bat banks of 4 8d. All shot. I have a victron multi plus 3000 watt inverter charger ,smart shunt, and cerbo cx in the boat and will take lithium.

What did you install ? Whose Bats? Any recommendations?

My boat is power hungry on the dc side.

BTW, anyone hiring out an LFP retrofit should require that the installation be ABYC compliant, and anyone doing it themselves should ensure the same thing. The standard has been out since July and is a good baseline set of requirements that all installations should meet. It's also a good reference benchmark if questioned by your insurance company, which seems to be increasingly common.

I'll actually start a new thread on just this since I think it's import given the number of people planning to upgrade...

Hello Greg, I use (3) Renogy 200Ah Li's and their BMS for house & a Odyssey 31M start, a Xantrex Pro 3000 inverter/charger and their BMS. I started this journey October 2021 because my 3 4D's were dying. I wanted "lighter" and the Li's are truly, comparatively lighter and Renogy has relatively decent support. PYS advised an ABYC consultancy for cabling, switching and fusing, which I used from my local yard, and, although the project got a little out of hand expense wise, the past season went pretty well leaving me confident the system works as expected. Thank you for replying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom