Old 03-28-2018, 07:04 AM   #1

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
First time towing the tender

We headed out Saturday morning for a trial "tender tow" run of about 70nm which ultimately ended up with us at the shipyard in Tarpon Springs for some scheduled maintenance.

The tender is a 16' Wahoo (Whaler clone) powered by a brand new 90hp Suzuki. The tow setup I have discussed here before but it amounts to 5/8" double braided nylon line connected to 10mm dyneema.

The plan was to run at about 8kts and the boat did great the entire time. I have tested this tow set up for short distances as 17-18kts. too.

Having the tender with us really came in handy as a friend of mine that was following us down had engine troubles on one engine. He was already travelling slower than us thanks to his copious amounts of barnacles so we were about 10nm ahead of him when he had the issue.

I unhooked the tender to go help my friend and left my 13 year old in charge of the big boat with instructions to continue south and that I would catch up.

By the time we got my friends boat back moving, my own boat was almost 15nm away! It was a short trip though at the speeds that the Wahoo can run.

Before anybody gets too excited, my 13 year old has had a Florida boaters license since he was 10 and has been running the big boat (to include docking) for 2 years. He's more capable than many of the the "captains" on the water today.

Overall the trip was great and we stopped in Turtle Cove marina for the final night for the planned bottom job the next morning.

The worst thing that happened was on when trailering the tender back home. I lost an axle bearing and had to McGyver some things to replace it.

k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #2

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: Sea Ray AC
Quote:
I unhooked the tender to go help my friend and left my 13 year old in charge of the big boat with instructions to continue south and that I would catch up.

By the time we got my friends boat back moving, my own boat was almost 15nm away! It was a short trip though at the speeds that the Wahoo can run.

Before anybody gets too excited, my 13 year old has had a Florida boaters license since he was 10 and has been running the big boat (to include docking) for 2 years. He's more capable than many of the the "captains" on the water today.
This isn't intended to be a finger wagging; think of it as forewarned to avoid being hassled by LEOs for improper operation of a MV. What you decide in relation to the law is obviously your own decision.

"No one under 14 years of age may operate any PWC on Florida waters at any time, even if such person possesses a Boating Safety Education ID Card."

https://www.boat-ed.com/florida/hand...rate-a-Vessel/
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnielsen View Post
This isn't intended to be a finger wagging; think of it as forewarned to avoid being hassled by LEOs for improper operation of a MV. What you decide in relation to the law is obviously your own decision.

"No one under 14 years of age may operate any PWC on Florida waters at any time, even if such person possesses a Boating Safety Education ID Card."

https://www.boat-ed.com/florida/hand...rate-a-Vessel/

Good point but he’s running a boat not a PWC (sea doo, jet ski, etc...) so the restriction is no applicable.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
Good point but he’s running a boat not a PWC (sea doo, jet ski, etc...) so the restriction is no applicable.
Perhaps also check your insurance coverage and get the answer in writing from your agent - it may come in handy.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Perhaps also check your insurance coverage and get the answer in writing from your agent - it may come in handy.

I’m not sure what you are referring to or why this would be a discussion
Old 03-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
I’m not sure what you are referring to or why this would be a discussion
Your boat insurance may stipulate an age and other conditions for operators of your covered boat(s).
Old 03-28-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Your boat insurance may stipulate an age and other conditions for operators of your covered boat(s).

Gotcha. For my policies, thankfully any person who shares a residence is covered as an operator.

It’s similar to an airplane policy. No need for additional named ensured.

From my policy “family means any person who resides in your household and is related to you by blood, marriage, legal domestic partnership, or adoption. This includes or any ward or foster child in your care who resides in your household.”
Old 03-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
K9, nice photos and story. Especially the part about your son and his expertise with the boat. I have a 7 year old grandson who is already in training to run my boat and by the time he's about 10 I figure he'll be able to take full control.

Some kids "get it", some don't and some never will.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Yep, I was running a 26' Chris Craft Cavalier at 11 yrs old
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Some kids are naturally going to be better than their parents at running the boat. They just pay attention, absorb the techniques, quietly show their competence when required. Each of my kids were on the boat before they were born, so grew up learning.
The best judge of the competence of the 13 yr old is his Dad.
Good on you.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #11

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I think it's a great idea to tow a larger tender especially in protected waters. They seem to actually tow better and are easier to board in my experience.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #12

Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Looks like it is working well. I remember your posts researching options. Sounds like you have a solid approach.

Mark
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #13
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallswede View Post
I think it's a great idea to tow a larger tender especially in protected waters. They seem to actually tow better and are easier to board in my experience.

Kevin
I've been studying this as well. The trick are those unprotected waters between the protected waters. As in gulf stream exposure. The calmest prevailing winds seem to align with the highest percentage of thunderstorms and water spouts, as one example. At least in my cruising waters. We've had some exciting crossings in the middle of summer at 20kts, dodging multiple water spouts. Crossing at 7 knts with a 17 footer back there on a string will be a different experience.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #14

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
I suggest that you make up a rig of "towing lights" to carry on board the big boat so if you ever get caught underway in the dark you can be legal, and be safer. I would also put a strobe light on the tender that would be more visible than regular running lights, and I would still have it on in the daylight.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #15
Guru

Good input. I have had to search for a 13' whaler at night, in 3 to 4' seas. In the gulf stream..Tow line frayed.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Clinton
IF you bring a larger tender in with you into the marina,
do they charge you an addition fee for added length ?
ctbarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbarbarian View Post
OR, will they allow a 17' to sit at the dingy dock for free?
Old 03-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbarbarian View Post
I have towed larger RIBS for years and it varies where you go so calling ahead can be of help.
FWIW - if that is Clinton Ct when we traveled there they did not charge us , nor at BI, Mystic, some marinas at Riverhead etc.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
OR, will they allow a 17' to sit at the dingy dock for free?
If that is Fairport NY please see post above and they also did not charge us in Kingston, Albany, Haverstraw, Minesceionga , etc.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #20

City: Snohomish, WA
Vessel Name: NautiBeaver
Vessel Model: Nordlund 68'
Great story and thank you sharing even knowing you get a few people questioning.....Koliver said it best. I am heading to Alaska (Everette departure) with my son (turned 13 this month). While he has ran the boat and pretty much owns dingy duties including launch and shuttle. I hope to spend some quality time this summer with the rest of the skills needed to take over, including docking.

Hats off to you.
nautibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote