Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We have the old style Aqua Alarm single engine, 5 system monitoring kit. The new one has a mute button for the bell. Price has gone up a little but still at less than $350, it's a simple, reliable, easy to install alarm system.

20001 Five Systems Monitoring Kit Single [] - $349.00 : AQUALARM, Warning Systems For Land And Sea
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   003.JPG  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Rightly or wrongly I don't close my raw water inlet valve on a regular basis but I do check my exhaust for flow when I start up. I do go through a routine on preparing to start and after start up and have a checklist at the helm. Another monitor that is cheap and easy attaches to the exhaust hose and warns of high temperature long before the engine overheats.

Wet Exhaust Temperature Alarm by Borel Manufacturing Inc.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The Coot has a similar alarm/light panel:

Post #4 shows alarm lights for the engine.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Yep, been a jackass many time, so for that I put together a startup/shutdown list. It's a Word document & attached, hopefully; if not, PM me w/ email address and I'll send it. I laminated the doc and it sure has helped.
Mike
Attached Files
File Type: doc Startup & Shutdown Instructions.doc (24.0 KB, 94 views)
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #25
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
My first jackass move:

Backing out of my slip only to discover that the yellow cable stretched out in front of my boat was my electrical cable. . . which of course was still attached to the dock power pedestal.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #26
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Yeah, I've done the power cable pull out, also recently dropped the hot end of the power cable into the water, and pulled out w/ one of the lines still attached which was not untied by one of my buds who was supposedly handling that operation.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #27
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
If I do anything that means "don't start me", key comes out of ign. Tagouts good idea too.

Not a fan of sea water flow alarms, seen them fail due to fouling. Either not actuate at low flow, or actuate when flow is good. Neither good. Delicate moving parts in sea water are hard to make reliable.

My fave is a snap disc switch on exhaust mixer. Or a look over the transom for water spilling out the tailpipe. I understand the OP can't make that check, and that's unfortunate.

A dive in the ER and put hand on back of pump. Cool, it's pumping. Hot, it's not.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #28
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I solved that problem years ago the only time they get closed other than when I excersize them is the beginning and end of the season.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #29
Guru

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Yeah, I've done the power cable pull out, also recently dropped the hot end of the power cable into the water, and pulled out w/ one of the lines still attached which was not untied by one of my buds who was supposedly handling that operation.
Bwahahahaha you really did that?

Just kidding. I did it only once, but it was the time when I took a dozen folks from work for a three hour tour.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
My first jackass move:

Backing out of my slip only to discover that the yellow cable stretched out in front of my boat was my electrical cable. . . which of course was still attached to the dock power pedestal.
What??? I can't believe you did that....I never did that! I can say that b/c nobody saw it, so it didn't happen.

"Oh, that yellow cord in the water? Oh, that's my spare bow line!"

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #31
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Best solution: Yell an expletive and add "Can't you follow a simple order!!"

Everybody will think you're yelling at your wife even if she isn't on the boat!!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #32
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Best solution: Yell an expletive and add "Can't you follow a simple order!!"
Do that and if your wife is aboard there just might be a "Man Overboard" exercise sooner rather than later.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Sardinia
Vessel Model: DP 56 Asterion
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
We drifted in calm water for about 10 minutes and I turned the engine back on and the temp went right down.
Of course the best course of action is to prevent that from happening again.
But just in case everything would go wrong another time (not that I'm wishing it to anyone, of course!), it would have been better to turn on the engine again ASAP after opening the seacock, rather than wait 10 minutes.
The sooner the pump/heat exchanger/engine can cool down, the better.
MapisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #34
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
I was afraid some one would say that. It is (was) a brand new impeller and a real headache to replace. I will add it onto my short list, especially since my insurance agent recommends it. I may get one of the impeller extractor tools to assist me.

It should be at the top of a do it ASAP list all by itself. Because it's pretty much a given that you F-ed up the impeller.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #35
Guru

I never close my seacock for the enigne or the genset. I don't know anyone at my marina that does.
And as soon as I styart my engine or genny the frst thing I do is look for water out the exhaust. Just habit.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #36
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I never close my seacock for the enigne or the genset. I don't know anyone at my marina that does.
And as soon as I styart my engine or genny the frst thing I do is look for water out the exhaust. Just habit.
Ditto

If I would close them, bad things are likely to happen.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #37

Quote:
I remember reading here somewhere that an owner leaves his boat keys on the handle of the seacock every time he closes it for any reason.
That would be me. And I do it because I burned a pump and warped a head on a Chrysler 318 once by forgetting. A man's got to know his limitations.

Dave
Old 07-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #38
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
You dont need to close yours to clean your sea strainer?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #39
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Indeed .. Habit. As soon as my engine starts I set the idle for 1000rpm and head aft. I look at the water coming out the exhaust pipe until I'm convinced it's a normal flow. My lift muffler stores up water for up to close to 10 seconds before it belches out quite a bit of water. I runs w just a trickle and then kinda upchucks. So I watch the discharge for about 20 seconds or a bit more until I'm convinced all is normal.

As for alarms and tags one dosn't need them for cooling water flow. It's such a habit I don't see how one could forget.

My favorite alarm is the Murphy Switch. It senses the coolant water level and sounds an alarm when it's low. And it does it before there's even a slight rise in coolant temp. Saved our bacon once. And our engine has never been overheated.

I do intend to put a flow sensor in my seacock to pump hose.

Jay I've been off and on about closing the seacock but now that we live 30 miles from our boat I'm going to make sure I get that habit too. Those things can sink your boat. I wish there was a lever so I could close it w/o pulling up the engine hatches. Having no rugs it's a bit easier than many but still easy to let slide. I had a bit of a wake up call about water ingression changing a sea water impeller. Went to the NAPA store to get the new impeller and when I got back sea water was up to the top of my engine mounts. Had a boat sinking exercise and got off scott free but I almost sunk the boat. I just assumed the seacock didn't leak. Perhaps I could make another assumption that would sink my boat and a closed seacock isn't total insurance your boat won't sink but I think it sure helps. By the way we just installed a new seacock. Now all I have to do is close it. Opening it is habit.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
You dont need to close yours to clean your sea strainer?
No, I can actually R&R the strainer and only a little dribbles out unless the boat rocks hard to starboard.

Quote:
Jay I've been off and on about closing the seacock but now that we live 30 miles from our boat I'm going to make sure I get that habit too.
I'm 90 miles away. I never have worried about that
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote