First Big Boat, First Big Step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We went through the same stress, which DOES get less with every docking.

The BEST tip I ever got from the "Coastie" who was training us, "In close quarters (ie: docking) you'll be in neutral 80-90% of the time". Yes, much like a space capsule, simply give short thrusts as needed and leave the rudders neutral. We are happy to have 2 engines, a bow thruster, and fly-by-wire inputs.

Like you, we take it very seriously, critiquing every docking, aiming for perfection.

Still learning, of course!

My Way

My wife and I have been in possesion of our new to us OA 40 for about a month now, our first big boat. 40', twin FL 120's and 22,500 lbs. dry weight is a world apart from our 24' outboard powered day sailor. Our broker referred us to an excellent captain under whom we now have about 15 hours of guidance, performing mostly close quarter maneuvering. After our last outing we all felt it was time for my wife and I to take it out on our own.

HI, On all my "big" (relative term) boats I usually take 2 empty gallon milk jugs, fill them about halfway, tie a small line on them with a brick for an anchor and go to a place out of the way and in shallow water, throw the bricks and jugs overboard with enough line to just reach bottom. I space them out to represent a dock or slip - oriented with, at an angle or directly crosswind/current.This gives me a dock/slip to maneuver around/into. If I hit a jug, I didn't do any damage, other than to my ego. I have done this in calm air and when very windy and with varying currents. It is a safe way to get experience on my boat's specific handling characteristics and quirks, in various conditions and is even fun. It is the least expensive and safest method to practice "docking" that I know of.

I did this with my 46' sailboat as well as my 43' Albin. I have even surprised myself on precise docking in crowded, windy marinas with strong currents where I said I would try one attempt and leave.

Sometimes don’t try ...

You are doing things the right way by practicing.
I attempted a maneuver about 2 months back that resulted in damage. My lesson learned is don’t even attempt if you can’t maintain control.
I had only backed my MS 34 Trawler in a few times when I needed to in Venice FL. The side current was so strong it was creating eddies behind the piles. I have a single screw and no stern thruster, and a nice new carver beside and down current, with only feet between us. My boat in the best of conditions doesn’t steer in reverse (small rudder, single screw, prop walk), so in the current it was a disaster.
Moral of story, shouldn’t even have tried; too much at stake. Do what you know you and your boat are capable of and nothing more.

I keep my boat in Tacoma and the best thing I did was join Totem Yacht Club to find good places to go. Great people and they've been so helpful in so many ways. Probably other yacht clubs would offer similar benefits.

Well done! I remember well our first "big boat" maneuvering, and it's nerve wracking!

One thing that took me quite a while to "get", and that is that, when using differential power (one engine in fwd, one in reverse), you don't always have to use the SAME power on each engine. Sometimes, using quite a bit more on one side or the other can really help make that tight turn more quickly, for example.

If you don't already own Chapman's "Piloting and Seamanship", I highly recommend it. All kinds of info in it, including how to do tricky dock maneuvers, assisted with lines and fenders (sometimes necessary with strong winds and/or currents).

As for weight, all the docs I have say 22,500 dry weight so that's what I'm going with. When I get it on a lift that can tell me the weight I'll be sure to check. Either way it's a big boat from my perspective.[/QUOTE]

Our 41’ President is listed by the manufacturer as 22500 pounds. It is a bit heavier than that. With the twin diesels and loaded it is around 28000. So yours may be a bit heavier but your specs are in the ballpark empty.

When a teenager, I was Dad's sail trimmer and spinnaker foredeck crew on his Columbia Defender (slush-deck version of the Columbia 29 sloop) in the sixties, racing most weekends on San Francisco Bay. On occasion I docked the boat (usually motoring but sometimes sailing). My naivete carried me through. When earned confidence arose, did it single-handed.

Last edited:
When I am teaching boat handling I tell people “Slow is pro”. Go as slow as you can and still keep control. Only go as fast as you are willing to hit something.

When I am teaching boat handling I tell people “Slow is pro”. Go as slow as you can and still keep control. Only go as fast as you are willing to hit something.

Found that true handling my 14-ton motorboat. Doubly confirmed when the propeller shaft fell apart while entering the berth. (No damage, going slow.)

My Coot makes single-handed docking easy: port and starboard pilothouse doors at deck-level, boat deck close to floating-dock level, midship cleats, fenders all around.

Doesn't hurt to have an oversized berth either.

Attachments

• leaving berth.jpg
    leaving berth.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I also must add my congratulations on your perspicacity regarding the learning curve. I loved my 1972 twin FL 120s for many years. They were solid engines and soooo much simpler to maintain that the screaming 316 HP Yanmar I have in my current boat. It will do you a world of good to sign on with boatdiesel.com and latch onto the Ford-Lehman subgroup, and there is plenty of knowledge abut them here too.

You should join Poulsbo Yacht Club. Great people, lower cost moorage, fantastic clubhouse with well-equipped workshop. Add in reciprocal slip usage at just five dollars per night (Edmonds, Kingston and Brownsville are close by, with about fifty more in Puget Sound) and it's a no-brainer.

I’m a Past Commodore of Edmonds Yacht Club. No vested interest here. Check them out.

Rob

I made the jump from a 30’ CC Constellation to a 50’OA. Real pucker time for awhile when docking. It does get easier over time I actually enjoy backing into my slip.
Another short trip you might consider is Silverdale. Lots of opportunity to practice docking and anchoring.
I also have FL120s and eventually you will need to know Brian at American Diesel. He has all the parts and advice to keep those babies humming. I have also had good luck finding parts kinda locally at Tacoma Diesel. Not affiliated with either
Congratulations on your new to you boat.

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one

Back
Top Bottom