Old 07-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Kingston, WA
Vessel Name: Wanetta
Vessel Model: 1983 Ocean Alexander 40 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Well a great boat and a great area to cruise. As for the "Easily the best money spent on the boat..." yet!

Some in the West Coast forum suggested a cruise next late spring to Desolation and I made some suggestions for Vancouver and surrounding areas. People jumped in to say they were interested but we all know those plans can change on a dime. But perhaps you might want to join in as if you and one or two other boats come up it will take the intimidation of Georgia Strait out of the equation.

If the event actually occurs, I will bring my boat down from Comox and join up in Vancouver to head back up with the group.

Don't know if we will be ready for a trip of that magnitude by then but we'll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks for the invite
Kingston Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston Mariner View Post
Don't know if we will be ready for a trip of that magnitude by then but we'll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks for the invite

I’ve never done a group cruise (my wife is shy of crowds and uncomfortable with small-talk with folks she doesn’t know). However, it would be fun way to explore and face new experiences with a bunch of boaters familiar with the area. You know that if you have questions or run into issues there would be plenty of friends around to give a hand.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Kingston, WA
Vessel Name: Wanetta
Vessel Model: 1983 Ocean Alexander 40 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
We live in Kingston and keep the boat in Poulsbo, really liking it there. Starting to plan some short trips and a stopover in Gig Harbor is on our bucket list. Any recommendations for anchoring?

We are headed to Poulsbo right now. If you feel like it, come on by and say hello. We will be at the Port of Poulsbo docks, likely backed into one of their 30’ slips. Poulsbo is a great place for us to visit.

Gig Harbor is a good spot to anchor. You can anchor most anywhere in the middle of the harbor, just leave enough room for boats to transit along either shore. A good place to be is off of Jersich (sp?) Park. You can dinghy to the dock there and walk up to town. The Tides Tavern has great food and they have a dock out front so it is another fun place to go. The Harbor is a fun, busy, but generally quiet place to be. The entrance is narrow and can be a nail biter at low tide, but there is enough water to get in and out.[/QUOTE]

Good to know GH is a good spot. We'll probably do a Sunday over-nighter, hopefully most of the weekenders will have cleared out by then like they do in Poulsbo. Thanks for the info.

Will definitely look for you today and/or tomorrow. You will probably be right across the fairway from us. We are in D29, the un-gated commercial dock below the Brass Kraken pub.

There is a NP43PH in the marina here that as we paddled by the other day I told my wife that might be our next boat. Good for me she loves this boating thing as much or maybe more than I do!
Kingston Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #24
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
In a group cruise, most of the time you aren't together but join up for a happy hour. Tell your wife I'm an introvert as well, so is my wife, so we get it.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #25

City: Fayetteville, NC
Vessel Name: Dirty Deeds
Vessel Model: Maritimo 48
Quote:
In a group cruise, most of the time you aren't together but join up for a happy hour. Tell your wife I'm an introvert as well, so is my wife, so we get it.
I'm about halfway on the introvert/extrovert scale, but I find that I'm more likely to talk to folks at the marina than almost anywhere else. Lots of common interests!
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

Last Summer we got an invite from AlaskaProf and his wife for drinks on their boat in Ganges. It took some real sweet talking but she agreed eventually. Turns out that she really enjoyed both Bill and his wife and had a wonderful time.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #27
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I’ve never done a group cruise (my wife is shy of crowds and uncomfortable with small-talk with folks she doesn’t know). However, it would be fun way to explore and face new experiences with a bunch of boaters familiar with the area. You know that if you have questions or run into issues there would be plenty of friends around to give a hand.

We would certainly enjoy tagging along!
Old 07-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #28

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Half the dock used to come out to "watch the show" when I came back to the slip with my first boat. Nice job!
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #29
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
We would certainly enjoy tagging along!

Bob, I had to search out other posts from you to see where you were located. I was trying to figure out how you were going to join us from Cuba. Blaine on the other hand is but a hop skip and a jump..lol.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #30

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Oma
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogan\Manatee
Congrats.

Hope you enjoy your new boat!

When we took possession of our new to is boat almost two years ago we practiced docking in our slip many times with May 2nd and 3rd attempts. The person who’s slip was next to ours and witnessed many of the aborted attempts made the comment, which still rings true today. ‘No one will remember a docking that you took many attempts at, but everyone will remember a collision with the dock ‘

Quote:
My wife and I have been in possesion of our new to us OA 40 for about a month now, our first big boat. 40', twin FL 120's and 22,500 lbs. dry weight is a world apart from our 24' outboard powered day sailor. Our broker referred us to an excellent captain under whom we now have about 15 hours of guidance, performing mostly close quarter maneuvering. After our last outing we all felt it was time for my wife and I to take it out on our own.

Our slip is a tight fit for our boat, plus we board from the swim step so it requires docking stern in. We intended to take the boat out a week ago but the winds were too strong for our comfort level. Yesterdays conditions were perfect so we made a game plan and gave it a go.

Our goal was just to dock the boat. We would pull out of our slip, turn up the fairway, spin 180 degrees in the fairway, return to our slip and back her in. I missed the first three attempts but finally nailed it on the fourth and docked it four more times without a miss before heading out for a short cruise.

The wind had picked up considerably when we returned. It took me three attempts to figure out how to deal with it and again on the fourth try I finally slipped her in. No crashes, no damage, no drama, by all means a success! Very pleased.
Ftbinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #31

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
We went through the same stress, which DOES get less with every docking.

The BEST tip I ever got from the "Coastie" who was training us, "In close quarters (ie: docking) you'll be in neutral 80-90% of the time". Yes, much like a space capsule, simply give short thrusts as needed and leave the rudders neutral. We are happy to have 2 engines, a bow thruster, and fly-by-wire inputs.

Like you, we take it very seriously, critiquing every docking, aiming for perfection.

Still learning, of course!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Parker, FL
Vessel Name: Cobie
Vessel Model: Cobia 220 Walk Around
My Way

Quote:
My wife and I have been in possesion of our new to us OA 40 for about a month now, our first big boat. 40', twin FL 120's and 22,500 lbs. dry weight is a world apart from our 24' outboard powered day sailor. Our broker referred us to an excellent captain under whom we now have about 15 hours of guidance, performing mostly close quarter maneuvering. After our last outing we all felt it was time for my wife and I to take it out on our own.

HI, On all my "big" (relative term) boats I usually take 2 empty gallon milk jugs, fill them about halfway, tie a small line on them with a brick for an anchor and go to a place out of the way and in shallow water, throw the bricks and jugs overboard with enough line to just reach bottom. I space them out to represent a dock or slip - oriented with, at an angle or directly crosswind/current.This gives me a dock/slip to maneuver around/into. If I hit a jug, I didn't do any damage, other than to my ego. I have done this in calm air and when very windy and with varying currents. It is a safe way to get experience on my boat's specific handling characteristics and quirks, in various conditions and is even fun. It is the least expensive and safest method to practice "docking" that I know of.

I did this with my 46' sailboat as well as my 43' Albin. I have even surprised myself on precise docking in crowded, windy marinas with strong currents where I said I would try one attempt and leave.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Redington Shores
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
Sometimes don’t try ...

You are doing things the right way by practicing.
I attempted a maneuver about 2 months back that resulted in damage. My lesson learned is don’t even attempt if you can’t maintain control.
I had only backed my MS 34 Trawler in a few times when I needed to in Venice FL. The side current was so strong it was creating eddies behind the piles. I have a single screw and no stern thruster, and a nice new carver beside and down current, with only feet between us. My boat in the best of conditions doesn’t steer in reverse (small rudder, single screw, prop walk), so in the current it was a disaster.
Moral of story, shouldn’t even have tried; too much at stake. Do what you know you and your boat are capable of and nothing more.
daviddraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: Sea Dancer
Vessel Model: 37' Canoe Cove Sedan Bridge
I keep my boat in Tacoma and the best thing I did was join Totem Yacht Club to find good places to go. Great people and they've been so helpful in so many ways. Probably other yacht clubs would offer similar benefits.
seadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:34 PM   #35

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
Well done! I remember well our first "big boat" maneuvering, and it's nerve wracking!

One thing that took me quite a while to "get", and that is that, when using differential power (one engine in fwd, one in reverse), you don't always have to use the SAME power on each engine. Sometimes, using quite a bit more on one side or the other can really help make that tight turn more quickly, for example.

If you don't already own Chapman's "Piloting and Seamanship", I highly recommend it. All kinds of info in it, including how to do tricky dock maneuvers, assisted with lines and fenders (sometimes necessary with strong winds and/or currents).
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
As for weight, all the docs I have say 22,500 dry weight so that's what I'm going with. When I get it on a lift that can tell me the weight I'll be sure to check. Either way it's a big boat from my perspective.[/QUOTE]

Our 41’ President is listed by the manufacturer as 22500 pounds. It is a bit heavier than that. With the twin diesels and loaded it is around 28000. So yours may be a bit heavier but your specs are in the ballpark empty.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
When a teenager, I was Dad's sail trimmer and spinnaker foredeck crew on his Columbia Defender (slush-deck version of the Columbia 29 sloop) in the sixties, racing most weekends on San Francisco Bay. On occasion I docked the boat (usually motoring but sometimes sailing). My naivete carried me through. When earned confidence arose, did it single-handed.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
When I am teaching boat handling I tell people “Slow is pro”. Go as slow as you can and still keep control. Only go as fast as you are willing to hit something.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
When I am teaching boat handling I tell people “Slow is pro”. Go as slow as you can and still keep control. Only go as fast as you are willing to hit something.
Found that true handling my 14-ton motorboat. Doubly confirmed when the propeller shaft fell apart while entering the berth. (No damage, going slow.)

My Coot makes single-handed docking easy: port and starboard pilothouse doors at deck-level, boat deck close to floating-dock level, midship cleats, fenders all around.

Doesn't hurt to have an oversized berth either.
Attached Thumbnails
leaving berth.jpg  
Old 07-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #40
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I also must add my congratulations on your perspicacity regarding the learning curve. I loved my 1972 twin FL 120s for many years. They were solid engines and soooo much simpler to maintain that the screaming 316 HP Yanmar I have in my current boat. It will do you a world of good to sign on with boatdiesel.com and latch onto the Ford-Lehman subgroup, and there is plenty of knowledge abut them here too.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote