Fire- Pendrell Sound BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunchaser

Guru
Vessel Name
sunchaser V
Vessel Make
DeFever 48 (sold)
Friday night August 24th a boater decided to start a beach fire adjacent to the tinder dry British Columbia forest. It quickly got out of control. Nearby boaters radioed in the conflagration but could not get the boat name as the scoundrel got in his boat and fled after dark.

This fire will burn for some time. We are at the Toba Wilderness docks about 7 miles north watching the fire advance.

What a F***ing moron. despite being a Province-wide ban on campfires, who can be this stupid? I hope the jerk is caught.

What a F***ing moron. despite being a Province-wide ban on campfires, who can be this stupid? I hope the jerk is caught.

I totally agree, this unbelievable behaviour in those surroundings. It is now estimated at 6 HA, hope they get it under control fast.........:mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 4.33.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 4.33.46 PM.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 270
Never fails, there is an idiot somewhere, always. He should be tied to one of those burning trees. :(

I too hope he is caught. What an a++.

"
That is such a great place to anchor. "

Not any more ….we were up there earlier this year and it was jam-packed with huge "Party Boats" with water slides and blaring music. There are few good places to anchor due the depths of the water and the good places were all taken. We had to anchor just south of the small island on left as you go up and had to deal with constant wakes as large boats charged up and down the sound and large RIBs raced around. Had our dinghy punctured when we were taking dog ashore due to a huge wake that lifted it up and dropped it on oyster shells. This is in an area that's supposed to have a speed limit to protect the oyster beds!

It was equally crowded last time we were up, too. So no more for us.

Ian

Seattle

Yes, there is a 4 knot speed limit in Pendrell. FOUR KNOTS!

"

That is such a great place to anchor. "

Not any more ….we were up there earlier this year and it was jam-packed with huge "Party Boats" with water slides and blaring music. There are few good places to anchor due the depths of the water and the good places were all taken. We had to anchor just south of the small island on left as you go up and had to deal with constant wakes as large boats charged up and down the sound and large RIBs raced around. Had our dinghy punctured when we were taking dog ashore due to a huge wake that lifted it up and dropped it on oyster shells. This is in an area that's supposed to have a speed limit to protect the oyster beds!

It was equally crowded last time we were up, too. So no more for us.

Ian

Seattle

That is really too bad. I’ve only been there the last two years. While both times there were plenty of other boats (we were there in August), they were all quiet and courteous.

15.4 HA. We have a genius in a California jail that is charged with starting the Carr fire; 70,820 HA. Hundreds of structures lost.

Earlier this summer we spent a wonderful few days anchored and tied back at the only little beach along the shore near where that fire shows on the BC Forest Service Fire map. There is a beach about 50m long, with a gravel area showing at all except the highest tides, that would be inviting to someone wanting to have a beach fire. There were signs of rocks being moved to create a fire pit below high tide. The trouble is that the nearby forest comes right to the water's edge.
It is hard to imagine the stupidity that would allow anyone to think it was OK to start a fire in the face of the obvious danger to that forest, let alone the flagrant violation of the Total Fire Ban. Above the beach there is a small flat area just above the beach, then the mountainside rises steeply, with what were apparently healthy Firs Maples and Cedars. A very large Maple overhangs the beach far enough that there were a couple of small rope swings on a lower branch.
I now dread what I will find when next I visit that area.

I just wanted to respond to the above post about the Carr fire which burned into Redding Ca. It was started when a couple towing a trailer had a flat tire, sparks from the incident started that fire. I don’t believe they were charged as it was accidental and all reports are that they are quite remorseful, but not at fault.
The Klamathon fire further North was caused by a gentleman who was open burning, and resulted in a death, he is facing various charges including man slaughter. It’s certainly been the year for terrible fires in the PNW
Eric

Thanks NS.. Of all the things posted on TF over the years this one may well win the Darwin Award, thank goodness no lives were lost by the responders. I'm sure there were injuries though given the hazards the fire fighters faced.

Nice to have a Spy on the ground.

Thanks NS.. Of all the things posted on TF over the years this one may well win the Darwin Award, thank goodness no lives were lost by the responders. I'm sure there were injuries though given the hazards the fire fighters faced.

Nice to have a Spy on the ground.
Not really on the ground. I'm still in Sri Lanka... [emoji3]

Not really on the ground. I'm still in Sri Lanka... [emoji3]
Do you like Sri Lanka? I did, years ago,so much history, such great food.
I hope those idiots get caught. Many fires are deliberate, or negligent. We live next to 40acres of remnant bushland,just 8km from the city centre, in a designated bushfire risk area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom