Fire Extinguishers Expiration Date

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long does it take to get the new ones?

I called the phone number during the height of the recall and had the new ones in about a week. They said 20 days but it was much quicker than that.

Be aware while I'm in the US one of mine was Canadian and there is a different CDN list of model #s.
You may have to call their cust svc to get it covered. The CDN site accepts those #s but won't accept a US address. US site doesnt recognize CDN model #s.

My son had several on his boat the summer of 2018. He emaied the info to them on Moday and had replacements Friday.

Received all my fire extinguishers today. Thanks TF for telling me about the recall.

I still believe that a surveyor should have caught the recall notice.

Attachments

• IMG_8076.jpg
    IMG_8076.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 18
I agree that a surveyor should have known about the recall. It was common knowledge.

Received all my fire extinguishers today. Thanks TF for telling me about the recall.

I still believe that a surveyor should have caught the recall notice.

Your survey is no longer valid, you have changed critical equipment and must immediately do a new survey so as not to void your warranty. I am sure i Pau hana reads this he will agree. :devil:

Well crap. I hope Peter reads this. He helped me get the insurance I wanted, not what the insurance insisted they could only do.
Your survey is no longer valid, you have changed critical equipment and must immediately do a new survey so as not to void your warranty. I am sure i Pau hana reads this he will agree. [emoji317]

Your survey is no longer valid, you have changed critical equipment and must immediately do a new survey so as not to void your warranty. I am sure i Pau hana reads this he will agree. :devil:

Totally agree!:thumb: Your boat has been made safer, but it's not the same inventory of equipment! Shame on you.

Question: Isn't a 20 year old boat worth more if it still has the stock engine oil in it?!?
I think you've devalued your boat by replacing the original extinguishers!:D

Resurrected thread

To resurrect an old thread, here's a question. My fire extinguishers don't say whether they are refillable, or disposable. If non-refillable (disposable) then self inspect, tag, and discard after 12 years, probably not a bad idea to turn upside down and tap with rubber mallet to dislodge any compacted powder as well. I get that, BUT how do I know if an extinguisher is refillable, or disposable if nothing is stated on the label?!?

On Halon 1301 extinguishers, I read where they must be inspected annually for condition and weighed, with weight compared to gross weight shown on label . . . BUT nowhere does it state WHO must do the inspection! I can visually inspect, and weigh using a calibrated postal scale, weight shows new weight . . . but not sure if legal or not . . . This stuff shouldn't require a maritime law degree to figure out:nonono:

Oh, and the ABYC A-4 standards posted earlier were from 2008. There is a 2018 ABYC A-4 standard available which I think would be the one to reference, . . . . and which people, including surveyors reference as a "standard", for "Safety Purposes", but which can't be reviewed unless you have a secret spy decoder ring which can be had for the low LOW price of ONLY $130 so we can be safe. . . . only to find out that it really doesn't cover what the title alludes to is covered . . . Quite a business model they have going there. I wish I had thought of it!:D

To resurrect an old thread, here's a question. My fire extinguishers don't say whether they are refillable, or disposable. If non-refillable (disposable) then self inspect, tag, and discard after 12 years, probably not a bad idea to turn upside down and tap with rubber mallet to dislodge any compacted powder as well. I get that, BUT how do I know if an extinguisher is refillable, or disposable if nothing is stated on the label?!?

On Halon 1301 extinguishers, I read where they must be inspected annually for condition and weighed, with weight compared to gross weight shown on label . . . BUT nowhere does it state WHO must do the inspection! I can visually inspect, and weigh using a calibrated postal scale, weight shows new weight . . . but not sure if legal or not . . . This stuff shouldn't require a maritime law degree to figure out:nonono:

Oh, and the ABYC A-4 standards posted earlier were from 2008. There is a 2018 ABYC A-4 standard available which I think would be the one to reference, . . . . and which people, including surveyors reference as a "standard", for "Safety Purposes", but which can't be reviewed unless you have a secret spy decoder ring which can be had for the low LOW price of ONLY $130 so we can be safe. . . . only to find out that it really doesn't cover what the title alludes to is covered . . . Quite a business model they have going there. I wish I had thought of it!:D

I found that my 2.5 lb refillable extinguishers might as well have been disposable - a couple of hours trolling the interweb, a dozen phone calls, and two visits produced exactly nobody who was interested in refilling them. The local fire dept couldn’t tell me anything. I tossed them and bought new. Same for my portable halon and fixed CO2, except I opted to not spend the boat bucks to replace them. My impression was that service companies are too busy running around pounding out commercial account inspections to be bothered with boats. Any that offered to quote me a price just never called back.

NFPA 10 has all your answers. I'll take a look at it when I'm back at work.

If they are "Kidde" FE, just call them and they can help you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom