Fire At Campbell River Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conrad

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Sky
Vessel Make
Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
This morning we had a devastating fire at our dock in Discovery Harbour Marina, starting just before 7:00 AM

Thankfully no one was injured.

There were three boats heavy impacted however. Two were totally destroyed and a third looks like it will probably be a write off.

Ron, the only one on board any of the boats, was able to get out safely and was taken to hospital as a precaution; he is now out and doing fine. The only reason he is alive is that he happened to get up to have a pee and saw flames coming out of his electrical panel. Got out wearing underwear and flipflops only. Into the pouring rain!

The first vessel to go up was gasoline powered so the fire department ordered those of us who were close to prep for evacuation in the event the fire escalated. Since we were trapped at the outer end of the dock we would have had to escape using our boats. Thankfully it didn't come to that.

Not a great day.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/boats-destroyed-in-campbell-river-marina-fire-1.5338516

Last edited:
Good outcome in that there were no injuries, but a scary situation. Marina fire, starting on someone else's boat, is my worst nightmare.

This morning we had a devastating fire at our dock in Discovery Harbour Marina, starting just before 7:00 AM

Thankfully no one was injured.

There were three boats heavy impacted however. Two were totally destroyed and a third looks like it will probably be a write off.

Ron, the only one on board any of the boats, was able to get out safely and was taken to hospital as a precaution; he is now out and doing fine. The only reason he is alive is that he happened to get up to have a pee and saw flames coming out of his electrical panel. Got out wearing underwear and flipflops only. Into the pouring rain!

The first vessel to go up was gasoline powered so the fire department ordered those of us who were close to prep for evacuation in the event the fire escalated. Since we were trapped at the outer end of the dock we would have had to escape using our boats. Thankfully it didn't come to that.

Not a great day.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/boats-destroyed-in-campbell-river-marina-fire-1.5338516
Conrad, of course glad no injuries except to the man's home. Were you onsite and get the first hand report you posted? Details in the link suggest his boat did not start the fire. Can you clarify. Having been involved in a few incidents and then reading the papers I know first hand the reality is not always reported.

Watching the newsreel it appears to be rather cold there, everyone wearing heavy jackets.

Scientific Wild Ass Guess (SWAG) : Electric Heaters either malfunctioned or overheated a dock electrical box.

pete

Conrad, of course glad no injuries except to the man's home. Were you onsite and get the first hand report you posted? Details in the link suggest his boat did not start the fire. Can you clarify. Having been involved in a few incidents and then reading the papers I know first hand the reality is not always reported.

Yes, I was there as indicated in my post, standing beside a distraught Ron as we watched his home burn.

Watching the newsreel it appears to be rather cold there, everyone wearing heavy jackets.

Scientific Wild Ass Guess (SWAG) : Electric Heaters either malfunctioned or overheated a dock electrical box.

pete

Ron observed flames coming out of his electrical panel so that much we know; I suspect your SWAG is close to the mark.

It was pouring rain and cold; we couldn't get close enough to the fire to keep warm due to the risk of the gasoline tanks and a propane bottle on board.

Wow sad to see. Great job fire department...

Wow sad to see. Great job fire department...

Yes, they did a great job, arriving very quickly.

However, when they arrived we could vaguely see them on the other side of the burning boat, but not doing anything. (They were on the shore side of the fire and we were on the other side). Eventually they started on Ron's boat and knocked it down fairly quickly.

What we didn't realize at the time (It was still dark and raining heavily) was that they were working on two other boats that we couldn't see and didn't realize were also burning.

A very timely reminder to check the load you are putting on a 30 amp supply.

3000 watts max before you push the envelope into danger.

Fridge
water heater
battery charger
Cell phone charger
Lights
Usb sockets
Radio/tv
Heaters
Clocks
Freezer/ice maker
Water pump
Electric toilet
Inverters
Now make toast or coffee...

That is good advice.

However, if the fire did start in his electrical panel, and he was "just getting up to pee," then he was probably sleeping so not using toasters, coffeemakers, a microwave, or any of the "extras" people turn on when they are awake.

Of course heaters and a water pump could still overload things, and might run while you are sleeping, so it's definitely good to stay aware.

If I had to guess right this moment, given that flames came out of the electrical panel, I'd guess a loose or corroded connection that had extra resistance and got hot. I wonder if we will ever know.

Conrad: So glad the damage was limited (which is still awful), and that most of the marina and all of the people came out okay. Scary night. I'm sorry for Ron. It does sound like he has a good community of marina buddies tho.

That is good advice.

However, if the fire did start in his electrical panel, and he was "just getting up to pee," then he was probably sleeping so not using toasters, coffeemakers, a microwave, or any of the "extras" people turn on when they are awake.

Of course heaters and a water pump could still overload things, and might run while you are sleeping, so it's definitely good to stay aware.

If I had to guess right this moment, given that flames came out of the electrical panel, I'd guess a loose or corroded connection that had extra resistance and got hot. I wonder if we will ever know.

Conrad: So glad the damage was limited (which is still awful), and that most of the marina and all of the people came out okay. Scary night. I'm sorry for Ron. It does sound like he has a good community of marina buddies tho.

Thanks XBank and Frosty for your thoughts and support. Excellent list Xbank - try as a might, I couldn't think of anything to add. My ammeter and I are very close and personal ever day!

And yes Frosty we have a very good community here on the dock - Ron was surrounded by friends throughout the ordeal.

Electrical issues are the most common reason for boat fires. When folks purchase a used boat the usual focus is on the engine, how good is it, how reliable is it, etc. But the most important inspection should be an electrical audit. So many owners who think they are great tinker types will carry out electrical work that just isn't safe.

Was the boat equipped with fire/Carbon monoxide detectors?

If not a good warning for the rest of us.

Electrical issues are the most common reason for boat fires. When folks purchase a used boat the usual focus is on the engine, how good is it, how reliable is it, etc. But the most important inspection should be an electrical audit. So many owners who think they are great tinker types will carry out electrical work that just isn't safe.

Totally agree. I change the batteries in my flashlights and smoke alarms but leave the rest to the pros.
As an aside, when we purchased Blue Sky the survey revealed nothing unusual about the electrical system but we soon discovered that the house/start/windlass/inverter batteries were all in parallel. The master switch was just an ornament.

Was the boat equipped with fire/Carbon monoxide detectors?

If not a good warning for the rest of us.

Good question; no idea but I'll ask him.

But yes, a good warning for all of us. I upgraded my smoke/CO alarms a couple of years ago and the battery technology is amazing - the batteries last ten years which is the recommended life span of the alarms.

So, what is that, 4 marina fires on Vancouver Island in just over a year?
Tofino, Qualicum, N.Saanich and CR.
Four out of forty-seven marinas.

The two most common issues with electrical fires are, excessive corrosion on the wire or a loose connection. In both cases the result is excessive heat to the point of starting a fire. Liveaboards should either inspect their wiring annually or use an IR gun to monitor for hot spots. Unfortunanlly all to many liveaboards are trying to live on a substandard budget and haven't the money to keep up with this type of maintenance.

That is why I have a wirelessly linked smoke detector installed behind the electrical panel as well as 5 other locations on the boat.

Met up with Ron today and he is quite upbeat; the hospital check showed that he had minimal smoke inhalation and was released quickly.
Emergency Services put him up in a motel room and gave him some funds to purchase clothes, toothpaste, etc. His insurance will cover stays in hotels for a time as well.
And he is heading down to Victoria in the coming days to see if he can pick up another boat! Seems to be taking it in stride....

Met up with Ron today and he is quite upbeat; the hospital check showed that he had minimal smoke inhalation and was released quickly.
Emergency Services put him up in a motel room and gave him some funds to purchase clothes, toothpaste, etc. His insurance will cover stays in hotels for a time as well.
And he is heading down to Victoria in the coming days to see if he can pick up another boat! Seems to be taking it in stride....

That is good to hear

The two most common issues with electrical fires are, excessive corrosion on the wire or a loose connection. In both cases the result is excessive heat to the point of starting a fire. Liveaboards should either inspect their wiring annually or use an IR gun to monitor for hot spots. Unfortunanlly all to many liveaboards are trying to live on a substandard budget and haven't the money to keep up with this type of maintenance.

IR guns a cheap ($20 to $30 USD on Amazon) and are a great diagnostic tool, especially in the winter when running heaters. We routinely (weekly) would "shoot" the power outlet on the dock pedestal, the incoming power inlet on the boat and the distribution panel. It only takes minutes but if you detect a hot spot it can save your life!

I hope that wasn't Ron Williams of MV Klatawa!?

I was racing crew on Keladi, a J36 sailboat, berthed in Bellingham. Corrosion in the shore power connection in the cockpit caused a hotspot and fire. The cockpit was burned pretty thoroughly, but fortunately she didn’t sink. It was still an insurance total loss.

I hope that wasn't Ron Williams of MV Klatawa!?

It was not; Klatwa is two docks away. Although if I recall, Klatwa had minor damage from another boat that burned beside her a few years ago.
The attached photo is from the fire one week ago that I just received. Ron Galen is the fellow on the left watching his home burn.

Attachments

• CC27AA5F-B968-42EF-94A0-D6826738D184.jpg
    CC27AA5F-B968-42EF-94A0-D6826738D184.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 14
Ammeter

Checking your ammeter is a good idea. Keep track of the flow. But be aware if you have an older style ammeter make sure it doesn't get warm. I had original style gauges that passed all the current through. I had one that actually started a small fire behind the panel. Thank god someone was aboard and wondered what the strange sound was! I removed them and installed new style gauges with a remote sensor coil. Please check out your ammeters.
Rich
Sonic Sea Dog
Currently in Marathon
Jumping to Bahamas in April

It was not; Klatwa is two docks away. Although if I recall, Klatwa had minor damage from another boat that burned beside her a few years ago.
The attached photo is from the fire one week ago that I just received. Ron Galen is the fellow on the left watching his home burn.

Klatawa is the proper spelling of Ron's Willard.

Marina fire

We had a incident a few years ago in my marina,winter time, small space heater connected thru a timer meant to turn on/off household lamps! Timer was of course overloaded and ignited the cushion,burned thru a plastic porthole lens totally engulfed the forward cabin(32' Catalina) blackened and destroyed, but didn't catch the boat on fire.Wasn't discovered for at least a week as owner didn't check the boat. Fire department said just wasn't enough air to allow combustion,probably would have burned a number of boats depending when it actually started. No one was aware of this until the owner finally showed up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom