Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #101
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohans View Post
I moor my boat next to Idlewise. She is a fantastic boat and you simply will not find a boat in better condition overall than her. Her owner looks after her extremely well and she is 100% ready to go to sea for any trip.

However, i think you will have major issues taking her or any other Aus boat to the USA. Apart from astronomical ($100K plus) costs to ship her, the electrical wiring would not be correct for USA 110 volts. We have 240 volts here and as such the gauge of wiring only needs to carry the smaller amps with that voltage. In USA, your wiring is far more substantial than ours due to this fact. I bouat a USA boat and it is not an issue coming from USA to Aus as the wiring is now oversized for our lesser amps flowing through it.

As well, Idlewise is a massive boat 70 + tons and everything is big on boats this size. I certainly would not be wanting to take her on as a first boat, but i have followed the threads so far across various forums and this is obviously not a concern for you, so that must be fine.

Otherwise, Idlewise actually has a massive flybridge house with big captain's berth and table, head etc. So plenty of room. The engine room actually has 7 ft of headroom. She is a huge boat.

SOme of the Cheoy Lee boats for sale in Aus, actually were sailed out from USA. Would be strange to sail them back again...lots of money wasted in shipping over the life of the boat.

Good luck with your search, i certainly would not look here in Aus though...
I wouldn't write off a boat just because it is wired for 240 volts. It could be simply converted by using a 240V to 110V step down transformer at the main panel. I don't know what the maximum power usage would be for the boat, but a 50,000 watt transformer would cost about $1000; small change in the big picture.
Buying replacement 240 volt appliances may be a nuisance in the US, although it may be worth running a second 110 volt circuit to the kitchen area for use with local appliances. Most small electrical goods like phone chargers, laptops, etc run on either voltage.
Well worth it if the boat is the right one.

Boat transport costs- well thats another story. It will be expensive.
GG - Have you considered relocating.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #102
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Hey, GG, have you considered one of these. I was more impressed when I inspected this model at a recent boat show than any other type.
They have proven ocean-going capability, and 3 large cabins, and 2 heads. Great living areas. Beautifully finished and fitted out.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxvtpi9cg3...escription.pdf
Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #103

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Hey, GG, have you considered one of these. I was more impressed when I inspected this model at a recent boat show than any other type.
They have proven ocean-going capability, and 3 large cabins, and 2 heads. Great living areas. Beautifully finished and fitted out.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxvtpi9cg3...escription.pdf
Pete, those Selene's are awesome! Only killer for me is the 3 stateroom layout. Also, the price is a bit high for my budget They are very nice. Thanks for pointing it out
Old 09-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #104
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
103 entries on a BS request. IMHO
At least the initiator stimulated a lot of unproductive discussion..
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #105
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Looks to me like she got some more eyes and more suggestions for boats to look at. You can't use one set of eyes as good as multiple sets.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #106
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
103 entries on a BS request. IMHO.
I don't want you to feel like the Lone Ranger, Dave, so I'll agree! I'm sure that others agree also but PC being what it is, don't have the guts to admit it.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #107
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I don't want you to feel like the Lone Ranger, Dave, so I'll agree! I'm sure that others agree also but PC being what it is, don't have the guts to admit it.
I will. Between the two sites, this has become ridiculous.

Total BS.

I always tell my agents to flip them over to see what they really are..

You decide from here.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #108
TF Site Team

Originally Posted by fryedaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Careful guys...we don't want to have to eat too many words when up go the pics of the boat they have actually bought, now do we..?
Just sayin'...
Old 09-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #109
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Careful guys...we don't want to have to eat too many words when up go the pics of the boat they have actually bought, now do we..?Just sayin'...
I take it that you think there might be some crow to eat in the future? Well, should that day ever arrive, I like mine southern fried. The smart money says it won't happen.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #110

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Wataworld
Vessel Model: Defever 44+5
5000 reward

This appears to be what you are looking for a hotel on the water! 1991 Cheoy Lee LRC Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com Please let me know what you think!
Old 09-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #111
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
I think this thread could become a reality show. I also think it's BS but hope it's not.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #112
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wataworld View Post
This appears to be what you are looking for a hotel on the water! 1991 Cheoy Lee LRC Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com Please let me know what you think!
God I love those big Cheoy Lees. They just look so small shippy, and just seem to yell out, "head me for the ocean baby, I'm ready..".
Actually, GG, I doubt you get would any (affordable) boat that fits your overall brief, taking into account of family size, and where you want to ultimately go, better than one of these...a good one, mind...like this one. Ok, some of the fit-out might be a bit fancy, but hey, if it's included in the price, what the heck...and a wee bit of luxury never hurts, especially on a long passage.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #113
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wataworld View Post

Nice looking boat. Cats, stabilizers, all the staterooms in the free world, what's not to like?

Except maybe for that transit from AK to MA. OTOH, that'd make a pretty good first adventure

-Chris
Old 09-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #114
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Nice looking boat. Cats, stabilizers, all the staterooms in the free world, what's not to like?

Except maybe for that transit from AK to MA. OTOH, that'd make a pretty good first adventure

-Chris
next summer...with the way the Arctic is melting...the Northwest passage should be open again...
Old 09-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #115
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
GG made an offer on a boat that was declined. However it was more of a motor yatch than a long distant trawler. Now that her home is sold there is some pressure to find buy a boat. There are several on the east coast that might work for her. One other boat see went to look at had an offer and was sold. So she is activly looking. I think she will buy a boat.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #116
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze

Careful guys...we don't want to have to eat too many words when up go the pics of the boat they have actually bought, now do we..?
Just sayin'...
I will gladly eat crow.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #117
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Me too... I am in the "we are being scammed" camp. And even if we aren't, this is long past absurd. Whoever this is has also ruined the Powerboat forum over at Cruiser Forum for Bess and me too, with 6 of the top 10 threads in the wrong sub-forums. Look GG, you have all the info you could possibly need by now. It's time for you to stop trying to find the PERFECT boat and go buy one of the hundreds of leads you have for boats that clearly meet your criteria. I would imagine that you have seen every possible option on Yachtworld by now. You will never find "perfect" which is what the community has been telling you for over a year now.

Quote from Cruiser Forum:

Quote:
I've actually seen every single boat on Yachtworld. I've also seen most of the Venture Yacht boats.

The only one I like is the Sea Ranger in San Diego. I've been trying to get my Mom on board with this boat for months. She feels it is too big at 75'. I think we could get away with it, but not sure. Love the raised pilothouse and 5 states is perfect. Plus, seems they have repaired the stabilizers which is great.
If this is true... go buy the Sea Ranger because apparently, the boat you seek is not for sale, so time to sit back for a while and wait for "perfect" to come on the market.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #118
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Ruined a Forum ?

I don't understand how this subject tread has 'ruined' this or any other forum.??

Whether she buys a boat or not doesn't take away from the fact that these subject threads(s) have brought to the fore a lot of interesting boats that might never have been mentioned on a boating forum,....and this is a boating forum, isn't it??

Plus she has actively participated right along with the subject, and in many cases offered some reasonable objections to certain suggested vessels even within her limited knowledge of boats (first time buyer).

So if you are tired of reading about her 'adventure' and some of the MANY different suggestions that other contributors are likely having fun contributing (living her dream), then go off and read other threads and bring them back to life (up into the top ten).

There is a lot of good info in many of those older subject threads that deserves a refreshing.

...my 2 cents
Old 09-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #119
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Don't like, don't click. Simple, really.

Some forums have an ignore thread button, for those without the self composure to not look at what annoys them
Old 09-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #120
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Don't like, don't click. Simple, really.

Some forums have an ignore thread button, for those without the self composure to not look at what annoys them

Exactly right!
Ted
Closed Thread