Old 01-27-2016, 08:09 AM   #21
FF
Guru

The problem is "cored" covers almost everything.

Follow the military and pilot boats and insist on AIREX.

Fat chance , its about $20 a sq ft in 3/4 or 1 inch , so only the militaries or pros of the world can pay for it.

If a 40 year old brand of boats has no well known hull problems , deciding on requiring "perfection" is silly.

Stress cracks are the giveaway.

Common on things like steps which were underbuilt , but should never be accepted in the hull it self.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Actually 1" Airex runs around $10 per square foot in bulk. 1/2" is around $6-7. Core material for a typical 40' boat will run under $10K, or about the same as resin and glass materials.

Airex is just one brand of closed cell foam. Divinylcell and Core-Cell are very similar structural foams that also sell for around $10 per square foot for 1".
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #23

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Worried about cored hulls and don't want aluminum or steel (Steel the Best) take a look at this beauty:

47' Cheoy Lee Long Range Cruiser single engine trawler
Old 01-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Love the Cat engine although it appears that it maybe a 3160 rather than a 3208. Not much difference between the two engines.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #25
Guru

It does not matter what material FG solid-cored steel-wood-aluminum-composites a boat is made of. what matters most is how it was made and what care is given to it after it was made. There are horror stories for each type and like religions there are avid followers for each type who see only one right way. There are trade offs with each material and the methods they are incorporated into a hull and boat. So what about a Monel(cupero-nickel) hull?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:25 AM   #26
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Chicago-you are reading an old Pascoe book. In some of his later writings, he backed off a bit realizing that cored materials were becoming pretty ubiquitous. He focused more on construction techniques and proper techniques whenever the glass skin was pierced-i.e. bolts and screws.

I will offer a couple of gross generalizations which I am sure will prompt some comments. You haven't said what type boat you are interested in. In general, many full displacement hulls will be solid glass, with various reinforcing fibers below the waterline and cored above with cored superstructures and such of the interior cored. And, again in broad general terms, many go fast boats have fully cored hulls. As noted on one post-it is a weight issue and weigh is not your friend. Neither is neveddarily better than the other and simply because a hull is cored is no reason to not to consider a boat.

There are several threads here regarding how to go through the boat selection/buying process by folks here who have been through it a lot. They have a lot of good, useful information. Figure out the search function and you can find them.

Again, in general, figure out what type boat you want and a prospective budget. You can then focus on builders of that type boat. If you want specific information you can come here, most boats ever built are represented here one way or another. You can also check out the brand specific groups here or google owners' groups for any specific boat. There is an owners' group for just about any boat ever made! These groups are great and can give you the good, the bad and the ugly on any boat. They can share good points, bad points, things to look out for and how to resolve almost any issue you may come across with that boat.

And, when the time comes and you find a couple of potential candidates, find a good surveyor and make good use of him/her. They will be your guide to the condition of any boat you are considering.

Good luck
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Naperville
No I have not decided what kind of boat yet. Like I said I am on very early stage. literally been looking into this thing for probably 3 weeks.
But I guess speed is never my highest priority. Would be nice to have 20 knots, but 7-9 is perfectly fine. My concern is more on safety and reliability. Maybe I would never cross the ocean, but I'd like to know my boat can handle that if required.

Wish my old man is still here, He worked in a shipyard all his life. although he's mostly on bigger container ships or navy ships.
chicagoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #28
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoq View Post
No I have not decided what kind of boat yet. Like I said I am on very early stage. literally been looking into this thing for probably 3 weeks.
But I guess speed is never my highest priority. Would be nice to have 20 knots, but 7-9 is perfectly fine. My concern is more on safety and reliability. Maybe I would never cross the ocean, but I'd like to know my boat can handle that if required.

Wish my old man is still here, He worked in a shipyard all his life. although he's mostly on bigger container ships or navy ships.
2 things...the vast majority of boats aren't built for extended alongshore cruising, let alone cross an ocean. With todays weather, being caught in something more than just uncomfy and a little scary is rare if you learn quick.

Ships have little in common with small pleasure boats. Some niceties can be downscaled...but trust most of the manufacturers to make something perfectly usable with a few modifications. Once immersed in the boating community, if you WANT TO, you can absorb things at a very rapid pace.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
core, fiberglass, junk, putty, review