Old 05-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
A few more varnish questions

Well first off I would like to thank everyone that has jumped in with all of the tips and tricks of varnishing. Its really helped speed up my learning curve. After 7 months of little items in the garage I am very happy with my skill set. I have only had to redo one item as I was using a varnish that was too dark. For the last item this year I need to strip and varnish the rails. They are about a foot wide run down the sides about 6 feet and the back section is about 10 feet. These have planks with seam sealer in them. Most of the seam sealer is in ok condition. But I do not want to varnish over it if its best to get that part done as well while its stripped. My question is do I strip the seam sealer. Then varnish everything, then add the seam sealer back. Or do I do the seam sealer fist and varnish over it? I am unsure if I will be using the interlux perfection plus as a base and then interlux compass clear over, or just compass clear.
Attached Thumbnails
rail1.jpg   rail.jpg  
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
If you use Perfection Plus, what would be the reason for coating over it? You can coat it with a single part varnish, but I can't think of a good reason to.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If you use Perfection Plus, what would be the reason for coating over it? You can coat it with a single part varnish, but I can't think of a good reason to.
The reason I coat over the Perfection plus is a better looking finish I can fine sand and buff, eastly touch up. My question is do I coat over the seam sealer, or do I apply that after all of my varnish?
Attached Thumbnails
swim6.jpg  
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote