Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #41

City: Maple Ridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I met Mike and Sue several times between the Bahamas and Dry Tortugas. I'm glad to hear they are still out there. Please tell them Wallace says hello and will see them in the Abacos next winter.
Hi Wallace...I'll pass on your message for sure. They now leave the Sheena in Florida for the Summer as mom was finding the journey up and down the ICW a bit too much. They travel back and forth between Ont and Florida by car...they will be headed down later this month to get the Shenna provisioned and ready for the crossing.
Westcoastwannbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #42
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Once I made an extended cruise on a well-built FC sailing ketch. Whether motoring or under sail, her handling characteristics were identical to what you'd expect from an equivalent boat made of any other material. Visually, she could have been wood or glass - you wouldn't know 'til you thumped your fist against the full or deck.

All hulls work and flex a bit at sea, but as far as I could sense, not that one! She was stiff and solid, and eerily quiet below. I felt secure aboard in all conditions.

My reservations about FC began to recede - then we hauled-out. A small rust stain here and there highlighted very tiny stress cracks in the hull, which the builder said was normal and maintainable. Maybe so, but I couldn't help wondering just what was going on behind the surface where (obviously) water and oxygen were getting at the steel armature.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #43
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Maybe so, but I couldn't help wondering just what was going on behind the surface where (obviously) water and oxygen were getting at the steel armature.
That' FC in a nutshell. You can know that if there is rust it will expand and spall off the cement but you still wonder about what you can't see. Of course you can grind down a small bit and verify (and patch with epoxy even) but owners don't bother.

There's a surveyor in Seattle who has an old dentist X-Ray machine (2 separate pieces) who's mentioned to me a couple of times about trying it for a hull survey. I don't feel the need myself but could see doing it if I ever wanted to sell.

Keith
Old 09-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #44
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Have not been keeping up on this thread however, came across this Seattle Craiglist post and wanted to share:

36' Nordic Tug like Diesel Trawler - PRICE REDUCED

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #45
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Have not been keeping up on this thread however, came across this Seattle Craiglist post and wanted to share:
A few years older than mine - a lot to like there for the money. Couldn't figure out what those bars were across the forward companionway.

Builder listed as Tacoma Marine. There was a Samson yard in Tacoma in that era, maybe that was it?

There was also Tacoma Boat Building Company. Not sure the year it was founded, but chairman was Frank Lynott from 1974 into the 80s. He was a member of my YC - his boat was named "6 foot 6" - but I didn't really know him. He died a few months ago.

Keith
Old 10-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #46
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Seems like a LOT of boat for $7.5K. I see those "bars" across the fwd companionway and I can't figure out what they are either. Guesses? Wouldn't be bracing of any sort would it? If so, maybe $7.5K makes sense...
Old 10-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Finnerty
Vessel Model: 26 Tollycraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Seems like a LOT of boat for $7.5K. I see those "bars" across the fwd companionway and I can't figure out what they are either. Guesses? Wouldn't be bracing of any sort would it? If so, maybe $7.5K makes sense...
Chart rollers?
Ddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #48

City: Kirkland
Hollywood8118

I sent you a PM. Thanks.
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #49

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Well just sayin when I went through SAMS surveyor Education in Stuart years ago ... Watchword was stay away from ferro hull surveys ... Issues are significant. That said never surveyed one.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #50
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillroy View Post
Well just sayin when I went through SAMS surveyor Education in Stuart years ago ... Watchword was stay away from ferro hull surveys ... Issues are significant. That said never surveyed one.
Heaven forbid they taught you enough to tell the good from the bad.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #51

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Odin
Vessel Model: Albin 28TE
Quote:
Secondly, hitting something like a dock hard can result in very difficult effective (versus cosmetic) repairs.
You mean like this? :

http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...500&userid=308
LN-RTP is offline   Reply With Quote