Fender overkill!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: What is it about YouTube that is discouraging you from the canals? Perhaps it's timing? Don't let a few videos discourage you. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

See the locks on the Ohio or Ballard Lock on July 4 and you'd never travel to either area, yet both are well worth it. We lived on a lake that was horrific on July 4 but so peaceful and beautiful other times. When France has their vacation shut down isn't the time for visitors to think they'll have all the tourist world to themselves. :)

Beware The Juilletistes and The Aoûtiens. :rofl:

Now we were there in early August but then we're use to large numbers of people and didn't even realize it was anything more than summer tourism. Of course, we live in a tourist area. :D

I don't mind large numbers of people at times, but having lots of clueless boaters trying to manuver in a canal, does not look like a fun vacation IMO. Might be fun if you are standing on the bridge with a drink in hand enjoying the entertainment!

I don't mind large numbers of people at times, but having lots of clueless boaters trying to manuver in a canal, does not look like a fun vacation IMO. Might be fun if you are standing on the bridge with a drink in hand enjoying the entertainment!

Wifey B: Fortunately we never saw any large clusterf... It was all rather civilized where we were, on the Seine and in Paris. Thames was busier with faster boats but also larger. Didn't venture on any of the narrower canals although did explore briefly some canals in the Netherlands. :D

We had a great time on the Canal du Midi in the South of France about 10 years back - Spent two weeks exploring by water and saw all sorts, both onshore and on the water. Quite a few good-sized charter boats with a lot of clueless operators too.

We followed this boat one day and watched their meanderings and near misses until they finally created an opportunity for us to pass by missing (or rather by hitting) one of the many bridges...
30133-albums1200-picture7361.jpg

30133-albums1200-picture7362.jpg

(no injuries but I think they used their damage waiver that day)

We make our canal boats from steel in the UK. Only need fenders for a quiet night alongside a wall.

Our Narrow Canals - mostly the 18th century ones - have locks that are only seven feet wide. The boats are six foot ten. And can be 70 feet long.
A bit like threading a needle sometimes. :D

This looks like many a holiday rental boat on French canals. There is no requirement in France to have any boating knowledge, license or training whatsoever in order to rent a 50' boat like this for a week. Trust me, the ridiculous number of fenders you see in the picture is necessary. On the positive side, I can say these rental boats provide a fairly constant source of entertainment for other boaters while cruising the canals...if one can maintain a safe distance ;-)

I've barged in France a few times on my GFs Dutch barge - as soon as I saw the picture I recognized it. Yes, anyone can rent a canal barge/vessel and on any given day you need to navigate a few to a few dozen locks, many with significant drops/rises. The fenders are to protect within the locks...and the owner's investment in the charter

In the French canals this configuration can be needed:socool:

Bns

That's a Braille Navigation System.

Back
Top Bottom