Fender Leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
I have a bunch of new Poly and Taylormade fenders and several are loosing air over time. The taylormades seem worse and I think it’s from the valves. My guess is the same on the poly ones but they have a screw cap versus needle.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any recommendations on fixes or solutions?

Thanks!

You are only supposed to inflate them to somewhere around 3 PSI. Whatever it is, look it up but it's far lower than you might expect.

Taylormade fenders have a guarantee. I've taken leaky fenders back to West Marine and they have given me free replacements.

You might try lubricating the Taylor valves with silicone grease on the needle. Has worked for me. If it doesn't, turn them in for a warranty replacement.

Yes, I've gotten warranty replacements on old Taylor made fenders at West Marine

I had the same experience on the Poly fenders. I suspect the inflation valve (which appears to be a reverse flow check valve of a flap type) lets a bit of air come out over time. I just got a $0.45 adapter from Fisheries Supply to stick in my bicycle pump and now all my fenders are nice and firm again.

Buy a car puncture repair aerosol, blow up the fender, roll it slowly around for a while to coat the inside. Job done !

Buy a car puncture repair aerosol, blow up the fender, roll it slowly around for a while to coat the inside. Job done !

You mean that slime stuff or something else?

That's the stuff, we call it 'green slime' you can buy it in an aerosol can. I've used it for slow car punctures.

Folks with plastic fenders that cant be saved ,

may find cutting them open can make a toolbox that doesn't scratch/dent the interior when being moved.

I had a Taylormade fender with a pin hole leak in the fenders body. WM manager refused to replace it because the warrant only covers “ normal wear “ not punctures.
Has anyone found a fix for punctures .

I had a Taylormade fender with a pin hole leak in the fenders body. WM manager refused to replace it because the warrant only covers “ normal wear “ not punctures.
Has anyone found a fix for punctures .

I would just take it to a different West Marine store. I think it helps if you bought the fender from them in the first place. Buying it on-line to save a few bucks and then expecting West Marine to replace it when it fails seems a bit unfair.

The so called life time warranty is not tied to a sales receipt, I know of boaters who rescued a large fender in the dumpster that abraded thru the body and WM replaced it free.
My fender was the small size so I used the fender body as chafe guard material.

The so called life time warranty is not tied to a sales receipt, I know of boaters who rescued a large fender in the dumpster that abraded thru the body and WM replaced it free.
My fender was the small size so I used the fender body as chafe guard material.

Perhaps but the warranty is from Taylor, not West Marine. West marine is just being nice handling it instead of making us go through Taylor.

Yes, West Marine might just replace it or they might not as we can see in a post above.

The last one I had replaced, they looked in their computer to see if I had bought one from them.

Taylor Made Vinyl Fender & Vinyl Buoy Limited Warranty
"Lifetime" Limited Warranty applies to: Super GardTM, Hull Gard®, Big BTM and Survivor® fenders only.
One Year Limited Warranty applies to: Tuff EndTM Fenders and Buoys, Fender CushionsTM, Low Freeboard Fenders, PWC Fenders, and Transom Fenders.
All warranted replacements must meet this simple criteria: The fender has split or burst from normal use and damage is not the result of a knife cut or puncture from a sharp object.
Taylor Made Products warrants its vinyl fenders to be free of defects in workmanship and materials under normal use and service for which the product is intended. This warranty is limited to product failure as a result of air loss from SPLITTING or BURSTING. Excluded from this warranty are fenders that have become useless from cuts or punctures, or disfigured from continued wear or use, or products that have been exposed to solvents that degrade vinyl. Over- inflation of any fender voids any warranty claim. Obligation under this warranty is limited to repair, replacement or credit of the defective fender at our discretion. Taylor Made Products reserves the right to request return of the product for inspection. No return merchandise will be accepted without prior authorization. Taylor Made Products shall not be liable for indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damage or penalties and does not assume liability of purchaser or others for injury to persons or property. This warranty is in lieu of all other warranties, express or implied.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom