Old 12-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Fender Covers

Last year we bought black Polyform fender covers for all of our straight fenders and one ball.

Within nine months the black had turned to green, the covers are stretched thin and baggy and the ball cover got torn within months because of being against a dock edge (rather that against a flat surface).

We bought another ball cover but haven't put it on yet.

Really disappointed in the quality. We are taking them off and throwing them out when we finish the current trip this coming weekend. The oldish fenders will actually look better without them!

We are thinking of either just leaving the fenders bare or getting better quality covers. What have you guys used that stand the test of time in the Florida sun and water?
Old 12-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
My fender covers are more than a decade old at this point. One of them is starting to wear through in a couple spots, but otherwise they're still holding up nicely. They're made of Sunbrella to match the canvas on the boat. As far as durability goes, the boat has always been kept tied to minimize fender contact when possible, so they don't see a ton of abrasion. Basically, they don't fade, stretch, etc. the only failure mode is when they wear through.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If you leave them uncovered, wax them periodically. Wax makes them much easier to clean and they look better. I've been considering using one leg of a XXL sweatpants to cover the balls in extremely nasty situations. Occasionally I've come up against a fender board with creosote. While you can clean the fender up somewhat, they're permanently stained. The sweatpants are cheap enough at Walmart that they would be throwaways in those situations.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #4
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Most of the commercially packaged fender covers are knit like socks - the only way you can get a tubular piece of cloth. The Polyform and Aere are. Being knit, they seem to stretch seemingly without limit, dragging in the water and picking up barnacles. I finally made some out of Boat Blanket from Sailrite. It was easy, they came out looking pretty good, and seem like they will last longer. At least they won't stretch and drag.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
If you leave them uncovered, wax them periodically. Wax makes them much easier to clean and they look better. I've been considering using one leg of a XXL sweatpants to cover the balls in extremely nasty situations. Occasionally I've come up against a fender board with creosote. While you can clean the fender up somewhat, they're permanently stained. The sweatpants are cheap enough at Walmart that they would be throwaways in those situations.

Ted
I have heard some use one XXL sweat pants for 3 covers. Each leg does a cylindrical fender and the remaining waist will cover a ball.
Use them a season and toss.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I haven’t used the Boat Blanket for fender covers but I do use it to cover bimini bows where they touch eisenglass and I cover rails with it to stop reflections form sunlight. It is self hemming and velcro sticks to it and you only have to sew the hook side if it will stick to the Boat Blanket. I also used it to cover the dash where POs drilled lots of holes. It also prevents glare from the dash and stuff from sliding around on the dash. Sorry for thread drift ...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
TF Site Team

Lena made fender covers out of Boat Blanket from Sailrite. After 13 years we’re on our second set and we’re still on the original bumpers that came with Hobo. Gentle on the paint and they will stand up to uv and the chaffing. They’re easy to make and if you don’t have a sewing machine, a canvas shop could make them easily.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Mar...c/Boat-Blanket
Attached Thumbnails
89453798-AA1C-4A46-982D-0AC6DE2B047E.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:

Ted
Before getting the covers I tried Armour All cleaner. Never again! They ended up being so sticky. I even threw them in the swimming pool for a couple of days - still sticky!
Old 12-01-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Before getting the covers I tried Armour All cleaner. Never again! They ended up being so sticky. I even threw them in the swimming pool for a couple of days - still sticky!
Wrong product.

This is what I use a couple of times per year.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 351
Size:  10.7 KB

Ted
Old 12-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #10

City: Newmarket
Vessel Name: Confirmed Aquaholic
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
We used Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to get both our white and navy fenders almost completely clean. Then waxed them twice and made socks from something similar to Sailrite Boat Blanket fabric. So far so good.
Graeme Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wrong product.

Attachment 110805

Ted
We have been using that on our cars and boat for years, never tried it on fenders. Will have to give it a try.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #12
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Wrong product.

Attachment 110805

Ted
Old 12-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have been using that on our cars and boat for years, never tried it on fenders. Will have to give it a try.
If you like it on fenders, wait till you try it on cleaning your shore power cord! Make a modest effort to get the dirt off the cord. Apply the Nu Finish with a Scotch Brite sponge and rub off with a clean rag when dry. You will be amazed at the amount of dirt and mildew that comes off with the rag wipe both on the fenders and power cord.

Ted
Old 12-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Suttons Bay, MI
Vessel Name: Sand Dollar
Vessel Model: Jefferson 45
Crap, I can barely keep up with my maintenance and some folks around here are waxing your fenders.
Mike_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
Crap, I can barely keep up with my maintenance and some folks around here are waxing your fenders.
Come on now, you only have a 3 or4 month boating season in Michigan. You've got easy 8 months to wax your fenders.

Ted
Old 12-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
You might be our kind of people!
Old 12-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Ha! I often think the same thing. I have great intentions, but... on the other hand it does bug me that the plastic lens over my steaming light way the heck up on the radar arch is cloudy and cracked. Gotta change that eventually.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Ha! I often think the same thing. I have great intentions, but... on the other hand it does bug me that the plastic lens over my steaming light way the heck up on the radar arch is cloudy and cracked. Gotta change that eventually.
With you.

A couple of years ago we were leaving Mangrove Cay in the dark to run back across the stream. I turned on the running lights and after running for a while decided to check if they were all lit. All were, except for the red port light. I leaned down and gave it a light tap and it came on.

It comes on immediately about 50% of the time, the others I have to lightly tap the cover.

I keep thinking I have to take the cover off and sort out that bulb. But then I think, I am going to break that seal, and it is probably 18 years old. So I deal with it!
Old 12-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Suttons Bay, MI
Vessel Name: Sand Dollar
Vessel Model: Jefferson 45
Quote:
Come on now, you only have a 3 or4 month boating season in Michigan. You've got easy 8 months to wax your fenders.

Ted
LOL, hey..my wife is the 3-month boater and I'm in it for 7. Truth be told, it's tough trying to keep up with a bunch of retired and semi-retired guys. 2 mindsets when I read half of these post, first, boy do I have a lot to learn. Second, how do I get a few more hours out of my day.
Mike_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:02 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
With you.

A couple of years ago we were leaving Mangrove Cay in the dark to run back across the stream. I turned on the running lights and after running for a while decided to check if they were all lit. All were, except for the red port light. I leaned down and gave it a light tap and it came on.

It comes on immediately about 50% of the time, the others I have to lightly tap the cover.

I keep thinking I have to take the cover off and sort out that bulb. But then I think, I am going to break that seal, and it is probably 18 years old. So I deal with it!
That is why they make LED running lights, never have to mess with the bulbs...