Fender Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought a bunch of black Bumper Buddies via amazon (size 3) the past 8 months and they have all stretched and sagged. They have not faded but this could because they have usually been on the shady side of the boat.

FYI, the absolute BEST stuff to clean your fenders as well as tender tubes...

Use Krud Kutter, you can pick it up at any home improvement store. Should be about $20 for a gallon or so. Literally spray it on, wait 15 seconds, then wipe off all the nastiness!!! :)
Make sure you then spray your fenders/tube with the appropriate UV protectant when done... SUPER EASY!!!

Don't have any pics of the fenders handy, but you can see from the tender tubes how amazing this stuff is!!! :)

Attachments

• tender 1.jpg
    tender 1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 12
  • dirt5.jpg
    dirt5.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 13
  • dirt4.jpg
    dirt4.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 13
Maine Point fender covers are great if you don't use them. They're made of fleece, come in a nice assortment of colors and do a great job protecting an Awlgrip hull. The pair of extra large fenders I keep stowed below and hardly ever get used still look great after a dozen years. The ones in every day use look great when they're new but fade and stretch and fall apart in a year.
I am gonna try that Nu Finish for the fenders on my Glacier Bay. Thanks OC Diver.

Fenders have only been used once this year for about 2 hours doing a fuel and water top up.

Until it doesn’t and you have a collision. Nav lights would be at the top of my list if I were ever to go out at night. Stuff happens when it is dark.

We do a lot of passage miles at night.
A lot fewer boats/dheads on the water and wind tends to have dropped out as well.
Vast majority of vessels where we cruise, if they are out at night are working so most will have AIS
Regardless, we always have 100% operational lights

I made fender covers out of black boat blanket fabric about 5 years ago and they still look great. Easy to make and boat blanket fabric holds up great.

I had a surveyor tell me not to use fender covers for the following reason: inevitably they get dangled in the water or pick up sea life with small shells that then break when rubbing against the boat or the dock. So unless they are regularly cleaned those fine shell fragments act like sandpaper on your hull. For whAt it’s worth I don’t use them.

I strictly use 'ball" fenders. I paint them green to match the bootstripe on the hull. Every couple years I repaint them. I have used spray paint and topside brushing paint. Both work equally well and they look great for a year at a couple feet away.

pete

I have heard some use one XXL sweat pants for 3 covers. Each leg does a cylindrical fender and the remaining waist will cover a ball.
Use them a season and toss.

Walmart T shirts, speedy stick the sleeves shut. $5 each, you’ll get 2 years out of em.

I may be able to help you solve your problems with your Woodwork, Fender issues, And Running lights...
Just sell me your beautiful Grand Alaskan, and your problems will be solved
Jan
Amelia Island

Oh oh

Crap, I can barely keep up with my maintenance and some folks around here are waxing your fenders.

Yes yes these damn First World problems can really get you down.

Second, how do I get a few more hours out of my day.

Moving a few hundred miles south lengthens both days and boating season. :)

I may be able to help you solve your problems with your Woodwork, Fender issues, And Running lights...
Just sell me your beautiful Grand Alaskan, and your problems will be solved
Jan
Amelia Island

No problemo!

As soon as your check for $550K clears! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom