Old 08-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #1

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
Fender covers

Hi All,

I have fender covers on a couple of the older fenders that came with the boat, the rest no. How many of you use them? Are they just cosmetic or do they protect the boat? Salt water.

Dave
Old 08-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I don’t use them. They can hold dirt and grind it into the hull. I just keep the fenders clean. I use Spray 9 to clean them.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Hi All,

I have fender covers on a couple of the older fenders that came with the boat, the rest no. How many of you use them? Are they just cosmetic or do they protect the boat? Salt water.

Dave

I’ve never had any on my boats. I’m too cheap.

However, I would recommend that for fender covered in the PNW, that you buy them in a dark green color. They will end up that color eventually anyway. ;-)

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My fenders are black.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #5

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
ComoDave... I love your Signature!!!
Old 08-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks. I think it is true.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Had fender covers that came with the boat. IMO, as mentioned previously, they hold stuff in the material that may abrade the hull coating. Certainly quicker and easier to clean a fender than a fender cover. I wax my fenders which really helps with cleaning them off. Only time I use a fender cover is when going up against a creosoted dock. Couple of trash can liners over the ball style fenders works great to avoid the creosote clean up.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
My wife insisted on buying some one day. I put them on, and six months later, they were in shreds. Every nail, sharp edge, and splinter of wood on a piling seemed to rip them. West Marine specials.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I've had same dark blue covers [from West Marine] on my fenders for 10 years. Still in pretty darn good condition.

When at berth I spray them with nozzle on a pressure hose while they hang off side of boat. The pressure water gets the covered fended twisting very quickly on its line. So... as it winds its line up tightly in one direction and eventually slows to a stop... I simply reverse the side of fender to which I apply the pressure water stream. Fender gets twisting back and forth so fast that centrifugal force throws off the water along with dirt and other contaminants [like spider webs]... sort of like the spin cycle in a washing machine!

Before having covers and maintaining fender covers by cleaning them as mentioned above... I used to spend quite a bit of time scrubbing clean my fenders at least once a year. Since putting on the covers and pressure water spraying them off - not once in the last ten years have I needed to scrub a fender clean.

One word of caution about cleaning fender covers like I do: Use only standard hose nozzle water pressure and not a pressure washer. I learned real fast that pressure washer will tear apart the fender cover's fabric.

Also, I noted in this thread where someone mentioned that fender cover affects the finish on their hull. I find no abrasion at all on our boat's gel coat. Matter of fact... for years before using cloth fabric fender covers I would too often need to buff out marks on hull from a dirty rubber fender itself.

10 years of reduced efforts and consistent OK looks for fenders has made me a believer in good quality cloth fender covers!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I've had same dark blue covers [from West Marine] on my fenders for 10 years. Still in pretty darn good condition.

When at berth I spray them with nozzle on a pressure hose while they hang off side of boat. The pressure water gets the covered fended twisting very quickly on its line. So... as it winds its line up tightly in one direction and eventually slows to a stop... I simply reverse the side of fender to which I apply the pressure water stream. Fender gets twisting back and forth so fast that centrifugal force throws off the water along with dirt and other contaminants [like spider webs]... sort of like the spin cycle in a washing machine!

Before having covers and maintaining fender covers by cleaning them as mentioned above... I used to spend quite a bit of time scrubbing clean my fenders at least once a year. Since putting on the covers and pressure water spraying them off - not once in the last ten years have I needed to scrub a fender clean.

One word of caution about cleaning fender covers like I do: Use only standard hose nozzle water pressure and not a pressure washer. I learned real fast that pressure washer will tear apart the fender cover's fabric.

Also, I noted in this thread where someone mentioned that fender cover affects the finish on their hull. I find no abrasion at all on our boat's gel coat. Matter of fact... for years before using cloth fabric fender covers I would too often need to buff out marks on hull from a dirty rubber fender itself.

10 years of reduced efforts and consistent OK looks for fenders has made me a believer in good quality cloth fender covers!
Your success may depend a lot on how you boat. When the fenders slide 10' up between your hull and a slimy lock wall, lots of crap can get ground into the fabric. Simply putting them up against a dock isn't much of a challenge.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #11

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I don’t use them. They can hold dirt and grind it into the hull. I just keep the fenders clean. I use Spray 9 to clean them.
This. Our boat came with fender covers with the boat’s name embroidered on them. I hate them; as Comodave said, they hold dirt, and with any protracted rocking of the boat, they grind that dirt into the paint, and it takes Finesse-it to get it off. The Admiral loves them. Naturally, we’re still using them, and I get to wash them once a month, which still isn’t really often enough.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #12
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Your success may depend a lot on how you boat. When the fenders slide 10' up between your hull and a slimy lock wall, lots of crap can get ground into the fabric. Simply putting them up against a dock isn't much of a challenge.

Ted
Correct, Ted! The fenders do not have anywhere near as much crud to deal with, as yours do.

Our berth in a double finger, floating dock is 16' wide. Tolly is 12'6". I always keep her tied off away from the fingers' edges. Fenders hang loose when at dock.

While at anchor the fenders work well for fending off our tow behind runabout; which we keep side tied. They also fend off visitor boats. So, they do get plenty of chance to rub against the hull. I never notice any abrasion due to their rubbing contact on the hull.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #13

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
My fenders are black.

+1 on that just ordered 4 new ones

I had covers last boat to cover old dirt marks that wouldn't clean up.

they were ok but can bother with them now
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I’m not vain enough to put blankets on my fenders.
That’s yacht club stuff.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

With our black fenders I have cleaned them once in the 4 years we have had them. The one time was after we go home and had gone through 75 locks. With normal usage we don’t get them dirty enough to need cleaning.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #16

City: Hilton Head Island
Well my fender covers were dark blue and matched the gel coat quite well for about a yesr. Then the sun did its magic
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190515_113223.jpg  
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #17
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
I made my fender covers quickly & cheaply out of sunbrella. Never had any problems, nor did I have to replace them.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: May be stupid but I like them and it's a bit like sacrificial anodes. Cheaper to replace covers than fenders. As to grungy and grimy locks, we often use fender boards instead of our normal fenders.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #19
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I have a disliking for fender covers.

Kind of like those terry towel toilet seat covers that were fashionable for some people.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I used one once to cover a propane tank.
I was vain enough for that.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote