Fender Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Trawlergal1990,
Welcome to Trawlerforum.

Following your question about fender cover, here are the ones I currently use on my boat, Grand Banks 42' MY :

1) Universal roll fender cover, polyamide made, elastic (Sunbrella is not elastic), in a 5 meter (15') length, Navy blue, easy to cut to the desired length with scissor, 12 plastic straps. For fenders with diameter range from 10 to 25 cm.
https://www.imnasa.com/en/universal-cover-fender-5m-navy-blue.html

2) Universal roll fender cover, polyester made, elastic, in a 5 metre (15') length. Designed for self cutting. High-quality automotive polyester.
Fender Sock 'Roll Neck' 5M Navy

One roll of #1 & or #2 = 6 fenders on my boat.

#2 is my favorite, best quality, polyester is lighter and more robust (a lot more) than polyamide. Unlike polyamide cover, polyester has no "sponge effect" when raining or washing out the boat.

The main reason for fender covers is not only "to make the fender look better" even if fender is hard to clean as Peter rightly pointed out. Main reason, only in my opinion, is that fender becomes less or more dirty quite fast then results in soiling the hull by contact.

Yes, "I can provide evidence to support it however" (photos attached).

I hope that would help you.

Respectfully,
Thank you so much!

One cheap way I found of covering fenders are heavy duty black trash bags. I use 2.4 mil thick.

They are great to protect new fenders and to cover old ugly looking fenders. When the bags look bad, simply change them and you have a new covers.

When I go through the Canal, the lock walls are bad in some spots. I simply double up the bags on the fenders to protect them.

Hope that helps

Cheers.

H. Foster

Greetings,
Mr. hf. While garbage bags may suffice for short term use, exposure to UV will degrade them in short order, I suspect. There is enough plastic pollution fouling waterways without pieces of garbage bag potentially falling into the drink. Could easily be a viable alternative IF one is on site and able to monitor degradation on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom