favorite top 10 harbor towns fun to visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
favorite top 10 puget sound harbor towns fun to visit

So far only been to a few small harbor towns. La conner ,blain,oak harbor, :) poulsbo. The puget sound has so much to offer i was curios what towns were on the top list. I understand everyone has different likes. With the sun starting to feel a little summer like i am thinking about all the places we want to go this summer.

Last edited:
If you are able to get north of the border, I would heartily recommend Lund.
Nancy's Bakery, Pollen sweaters, funky little gift shops, a couple of nice pubs, and did I mention Nancy's Bakery?

Definitely add Langley to your list (AKA Port of South Whidbey). Nice little marina, hike up the hill to town. Good places to eat and shop...

Get reservations in the summer.

The various times we chartered, we always enjoyed anchoring off Rosario and doing a "spa day" at the resort, massages, swim, etc. Not sure if that's doable this summer or not. The only other "civilized spots we frequented at all were Sydney and Victoria (including mooring on the back side to Buchart Gardens), went to Ganges once it is artsy etc but was crowded.

Many places to visit with your new NP.

Bremerton
Gig Harbor
Poulsbo
Langley
Tacoma - Dock Street Marina
Port Ludlow
Pt Townsend - Point Hudson Marina
Pleasant Harbor Marina (awesome view of The Olympics on the way there)
Port Gamble (anchor)
Filucy Bay (anchor) Great view of Mt Rainier from the bay
Blake Island

This should keep you busy for a few days :thumb:

Pollen sweaters,

There is a chandlery in the Coombs area and I have bought three Pollen sweaters, one for me, my wife and my son's partner, they both love theirs.

For Xmas my wife bought a Mariner Pollen Sweater Cardigan style. The store didn't know this style of sweater was available from Pollen in Lund. When it was brought over and the wife of the owner inspected it, she ordered more. These sold out almost immediately and now there is a waiting list.

This is the link to the sweater, but it isn't cardigan style in the picture. My first sweater was, well.... a sweater, but I now prefer the cardigan. PS: yes they can be washed and have been made to handle many washings, instructions are on the Pollen site. PPS: they are my favourite sweaters ever which is saying something for a kid raised in Whitehorse, Jasper, Ontario and Quebec and stints in Wisconsin and Chicago and Edmonchuck.

https://pollensweaters.com/product/mariner-sweater/

Pollen sweaters,

For Xmas my wife bought a Mariner Pollen Sweater Cardigan style. The store didn't know this style of sweater was available from Pollen in Lund. When it was brought over and the wife of the owner inspected it, she ordered more. These sold out almost immediately and now there is a waiting list.

https://pollensweaters.com/product/mariner-sweater/

I have the mariner sweater as well, although it is the zipper style. Love it! Plus a vest, in the swamp scum colour. (Not making it up!) Great product, great service!
I think it's a great marketing strategy on Pollen's part: buy sweater from them, go downstairs to Nancy's Bakery, and soon you have to order another sweater in a larger size!

swamp scum colour

That's the colour I got my son's partner but in a sweater not cardigan (zipper), plus toque and scarf (they aren't making scarfs anymore).

So far only been to a few small harbor towns. La conner ,blain,oak harbor, :) poulsbo.

Napatree, Coecles, 3mile, Ram's island, East Harbor, Katama.

The world is a big place. We're not all from where you're from. States, Regions and Countries help a bit. ;)

After 12 months of Covid isolation any town we come to, now that we are vaccinated, is fun now that we can go ashore.

If you are able to get north of the border, I would heartily recommend Lund.
Nancy's Bakery, Pollen sweaters, funky little gift shops, a couple of nice pubs, and did I mention Nancy's Bakery?

Having been to Lund many times I concur on Nancy's Bakery.

I bought my wife a Women’s Cardigan pollen sweater in 2017 in Lund, she still loves it as much today as when she got it back then and still looks as good as new. Not inexpensive but sure is top quality.

Last edited:
The OP was specifically asking about places in the general Puget Sound-San Juans-Gulf Islands area.

I know there is this silly little thing called the border and I know we are still in the times of the plague, but in my mind from Olympia to SE Alaska is all one area. Soon the plague will be over and the border is no big deal unless you have a law breaking record.

I thought I would add this piece of trivia about the area from Olympia to SE Alaska. This area used to be the New York of the continent. It had more inhabitants per square mile than any other location from Mexico to the high North until 90 % of the First Nations were killed off by smallpox.

I would add Port Orchard to the list of local towns. Nice marina, easy walk to shops and restaurants. Also Kingston, if it wasn't mentioned before.

Bell Harbor in downtown Seattle is a great stop. False Creek in Vancouver is another great stop and Victoria.

Over looked stops would be the Islander Hotel on Lopez. Anacortes, Oak Harbor and Squim.

Bell Harbor in downtown Seattle is a great stop. False Creek in Vancouver is another great stop and Victoria.

Over looked stops would be the Islander Hotel on Lopez. Anacortes, Oak Harbor and Squim.

Have to agree with the urban choices; all three excellent experiences. Vancouver Rowing Club is the perfect site, adjacent to the lovely Stanley Park (and the bicycle rentals).

Bell Harbor was a special treat; we went twice last summer. Surprising it has taken us so long, as we used to live just above at 88 Virginia, but it was the Alaska Ferry Terminal then.

I clicked on here to see awesome photographs ...
not even one.

I second Port Townsend and a great time to go is when they have their wooden boat festival.

Please excuse me if my post might be a high-jacking of this thread but I hope it is not.

I am an experienced cruising and racing sailor on the Atlantic Coast with virtually no experience in the PNW looking for some local knowledge and suggestions.

I will be chartering out of Ship Harbor in Anacortes for a week around the Labor Day weekend. The first leg of our voyage will be south to attend my daughter's wedding in Gig Harbor (two days ?) Any suggestions for a stop-over about half way ?

Our second leg will be to head north out of Gig Harbor as far as we might be able over the course of 3-5 days. We would like to enjoy the scenery and a leasurely pace. Suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks to all for your consideration.

I will be chartering out of Ship Harbor in Anacortes for a week around the Labor Day weekend. The first leg of our voyage will be south to attend my daughter's wedding in Gig Harbor (two days ?) Any suggestions for a stop-over about half way ?

Yes. Not exactly half way, but two layovers that will put you within striking distance are Paulsbo, charming little faux-Norwegian waterfront town with restaurants, galleries, etc.

The opposite experience: Bell Harbor on the Seattle waterfront. Outstanding marina with lots of walkabout stuff along the adjacent piers, then hike up a couple blocks to the Pike Place Market, the quintessential Seattle experience.

Both locations are about four hours from Gig Harbor at trawler speeds.

Some of my favorites already listed. Here are a couple we never miss in the San Juan Islands;
~Friday Harbor (provisioning, good restaurants, nice bustling town after a week at anchor)
~Roche Harbor (white glove docking help! Lovely place, swimming pool, expensive, but worth it for a day or three) Lovely anchorage also.
~Skull Island (off Lopez, we anchor off the island, pick up our crab pots and take our crabs ashore for a good crab boil on the one small beach)

Seattle
~Bell Harbor Marina right in Belltown with access to all that Seattle offers.
~Winslow (Bainbridge Island) anchor or Town Dock, good shopping/browsing & restaurants and 2 pubs.

South Sound
~Quartermaster Harbor (great anchorage & dock - dock currently closed due to CoVid)
~Wollochet Bay (great protected anchorage)
~Olympia tie up at the town dock very close to farmers market.
Gig Harbor (already mentioned) tie up at the Tides Tavern for lunch, anchor in the bay or secure a spot on the town pier.
~Alan

Last edited:
Or ask the harbormaster for the location of the two waterfront elevators that can take you up to the Market. One lift is four floors and one is five, so that tells you what the couple blocks "up the hill" hike is like.

Cheater!

But actually, the elevator/sky bridge right at the marina will take you up most of the way, then a mild slightly uphill stroll to the market.

Back
Top Bottom