Favorite iOS Nav app

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
I am picking up a boat in Florida and bringing it back to Texas. Its most recent electronics is a C series Raymarine. So I will augment that(or maybe the other way around) with charting software on an iPad. So what it the best out there and why? Also, I am fond of Active Captain so if someone could clue me in on what the current state of Active Captain is as it relates to Garmin and their iOS charting apps.

As an aside and Ironically, I went to the Active Captain Facebook page and they no longer allow discussion on that page. They say that there is a forum where their customers can better discuss this stuff. In my opinion, their forum sucks. I like AC just because there is a lot of info on one screen or within one app. I say "ironically" because Mr. Siegel used to huff and puff on here saying the general forum format was obsolete and that Social media is where it is at...

Navionics is my favorite...actually it's the only one I have on my phone LOL
I don't use it as a primary, but I've used it and compared with my Garmin on several occasions and it's right on the money.
Where in Fl?

Max Sea Time Zero is the one I have on my iPad for planning etc...

I have both Garmin and Navionics both with AC. Same content for the most part but different views and functionality. Garmin charts are about $199 each. Navionics is a subscription about $14.00/yr. Both are great imo.

Just recently found out that Garmin has stopped supporting the use of Active Captain with Rosepoint Coastal Explorer. This is straight from Garmin support when I inquired.
I know, not an App per se, but thought others may be interested to know.

I have only used Aqua Map. It works.

I use Navionics with the Vexilar

Wireless transducer. A great combo that has worked really well for me on my smaller boats. I plan to use it as a secondary and sometimes primary if I don’t like my primary as much on my next boat. Bill

FH75. I am not sure about the AC part in your post. There is an AC post about shoaling on Fields Cut near Savannah. Posted late October. I will pass by there next week and post depths on AC to confirm dredging. We'll see if it works.

Oops FH75. Apologies I miss read your post. AC may not be on Rosepoint but still works on Garmin and Navionics App. Appears to be same content probably because they are now affiliated from what I can tell.

AquaMap and Navionics both have their good points. I like Navionics for its automatic routing feature. I like having the colorized USACE surveys on AquaMaps. So I run both on a pair of 12.9” iPads on swivel mounts with sunshades. I have a Bluetooth GPS unit that feeds them both.

We've used MaxSea Time Zero on a laptop (but they make an iOS tablet version), Plan2Nav (now superceded by Embark), Transas (now Wartsila) iSailor, MX Mariner, and now running with Aquamap as our bridge back-up.

TZ lets use use either/both NOAA raster and vector charts (plus optional CMap and Navionics vector charts) , and is the most full featured of all those. Our version is way old, though, so we can no longer update ActiveCaptain markers on that; not sure if more recent TZ editions have made the transition to Garmin-controlled AC or not.

P2N/Embark is C-Map vector charts, we found useful to have as a slightly different presentation compared to NOAA vector charts. Said to include Explorer chart data, useful in the Bahamas (but you're not going there just now).

iSailor (vector charts) isn't easy for us to use; can't figure out how to tap what we want on the screen (not an uncommon problem with touch screens).

MX Mariner gives us NOAA raster charts AND ActiveCaptain markers... but all at once, can't select which type of marker; IOW, they're either on or off.

The current experiment with Aquamap (vector charts) is because it also includes the (optional $$) USACE survey map overlays, useful for ICW, and it includes AC AND Waterway Guide markers too, each type selectable. It's becoming our preference, but it's also a bit buggy, unexpected crashes sometimes, usually (now) only at initial load or when replacing individual map tiles. Those problems might sometimes have been about available tablet storage limits, and/or erratic internet connections.

A combination of Aquamap (vector, with USACE overlays) and MX Mariner (raster), both with AC markers, would be decent enough.

-Chris

We mostly use Garmin Active Captain on our phones (we pulled the maps down from our Garmin 7612xsv chartplotter) but we also have Navionics. Nice to have options and to be able to crosscheck.

I use Navionics on a large iPad next to the helm to supplement my main display and really like it. I just googled Aqua Map after reading that people on here use it, and it has good reviews overall. This will also give me access to AC, which I don’t have access to because I have Furono gear. For 25 bucks a year, it can’t hurt to get another App.

I am picking up a boat in Florida and bringing it back to Texas. Its most recent electronics is a C series Raymarine. So I will augment that(or maybe the other way around) with charting software on an iPad.
Navionics on an iPad is incredible! (I've checked them all over the years.):blush:

Alright thanks folks. It seems Aquamaps with Navionics seems to be the way I am leaning based on the feedback I am getting!!! Thanks again!

Baker

Forget all the apps, get a large bottle of Flor de Cana and start doing it before to leave and continue the entire trip. God protects fools and drunks!

See you in February.

I have Navionics on my Lowrance chartplotter as well as on my iPhone and my iPad. It works extremely well, and if your iPad is SIM enabled, it has an internal GPS that is not dependent upon wifi signal.

Last edited:
SeaIQ for actual navigation, Navionics for planning, Aquamap for AC notes.

The current experiment with Aquamap (vector charts) is because it also includes the (optional $$) USACE survey map overlays, useful for ICW, and it includes AC AND Waterway Guide markers too, each type selectable. It's becoming our preference, but it's also a bit buggy, unexpected crashes sometimes, usually (now) only at initial load or when replacing individual map tiles. Those problems might sometimes have been about available tablet storage limits, and/or erratic internet connections.

Yesterday's run was our first experience using the USACE overlays in Aquamap; much of the day we were running along a survey area, not particularly shallow or anything along that route... but it seemed like good practice for when we'll be in some of the dicier areas.

And then we also learned that AC markers won't open if the chart is in "heading up" orientation. Have to revert to "north up" to read the AC markers. Waterway Guide markers don't have the same issue.

This in the Android version... so may or may not be like that in the iOS version...

-Chris

Yesterday's run was our first experience using the USACE overlays in Aquamap; much of the day we were running along a survey area, not particularly shallow or anything along that route... but it seemed like good practice for when we'll be in some of the dicier areas.

And then we also learned that AC markers won't open if the chart is in "heading up" orientation. Have to revert to "north up" to read the AC markers. Waterway Guide markers don't have the same issue.

This in the Android version... so may or may not be like that in the iOS version...

-Chris

No issue on my Galaxy Tab A... Try to mail the support and append a screenshot.

Just recently found out that Garmin has stopped supporting the use of Active Captain with Rosepoint Coastal Explorer. This is straight from Garmin support when I inquired.
I know, not an App per se, but thought others may be interested to know.
FWIW, I just fired up CE, and Active Captain stuff still works.

No issue on my Galaxy Tab A... Try to mail the support and append a screenshot.

It's a Galaxy Tab A wifey is using.

We've been back and forth with their tech guys on various issues over the last several weeks, so this is just another in the list. :)

But they've been responsive enough. Have to translate their Italian-English to real English (American version, of course) some times, but that hasn't been onerous.

-Chris

Used to have Navionics on our iPads and iPhone which I liked a lot. Used it for years. But when we installed the wireless Furuno radar (which transmits to the iPad/iPhone) I started using Time Zero. The DRS4W overlays in 2D and 3D on Time Zero charts which we think is very cool.

Used to have Navionics on our iPads and iPhone which I liked a lot. Used it for years. But when we installed the wireless Furuno radar (which transmits to the iPad/iPhone) I started using Time Zero. The DRS4W overlays in 2D and 3D on Time Zero charts which we think is very cool.

Does the Furuno transmit via Bluetooth or wifi?

Does the Furuno transmit via Bluetooth or wifi?

It creates its own wifi signal as a legacy access point, so you don't have to enter the password each time for access.

FWIW, I just fired up CE, and Active Captain stuff still works.
"Hello Tom,
Unfortunately ActiveCaptain no longer supports Rosepoint Coastal Explorer.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Kayla
Product Support
Garmin International
For 24-hour access to support videos, manuals, FAQs & more, visit the Support Center."

Above is the message I received from Garmin support on Nov. 7/19 when I inquired regarding a message I received inside CE when I "updated my charts" on Nov. 7.
I have not tried to find AC inside CE since then, but that is the message!

Back
Top Bottom