Old 11-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #41

City: Kemah, TX
iPad with a suction mount and Navionics did a great job in getting me from Sarasota to Kemah a year ago. Be sure and have a carrier-enabled iPad as the WiFi only versions do not have a gps chip. We ran the ipad in airplane mode to conserve power.

The Navionics app allows you to plot out the route beforehand. It also saves your tracks and attacks to pictures taken along the way. Works great!
mjoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #42

City: Emeryville, CA
Vessel Name: Miss B Haven
Vessel Model: Ponderosa 42
Half way thru the Great Loop (2015/16) we were introduced to the Navionics app for iPad. Before that we were relying on our Garmin chart plotter; the plotter often had our position as being 50 yds on land while the Navionics/iPad was dead on. We ended up using the Garmin just for the Active Captain info. Now Garmin owns Navionics and it too has Active Captain. We now are in the San Francisco Bay Area and still find the Navionics to be invaluable.
rbigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #43
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoplin View Post

The Navionics app allows you to plot out the route beforehand. It also saves your tracks and attacks to pictures taken along the way. Works great!
Hey Mike, you can also plan a route on your iPad on Navionics and upload to your GARMIN chart plotter via wifi or Bluetooth. Can you do that with that Raymarine stuff???
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #44
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We've gotten a bit more familiar with the USACE survey data in Aquamap over these last few ICW segments, and it's proving to be as useful as I was guessing earlier.

Oddly, though, survey data on one tablet disappeared in a few stretches... and Waterway Guide markers disappeared altogether; can't tell if that had to do with whenever I last updated that relevant chart tile on that tablet, or if it's another flaw in the app. It wasn't critical, in those cases...

Having to download so many individual chart tiles has it's pros/cons. One of our tablets is challenged for storage space, so having fewer tiles loaded can be a good thing. OTOH, that's the tablet with the larger screen so we prefer it... and while the other tablet has a smaller screen, at least there's plenty of storage space available to support more advanced planning. But then downloads on these WiFi-only tablets is at the mercy of a WiFi signal... which happens to be shakey at the current marina. It helps to have a cellular hotspot backup...

-Chris
Old 11-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #45

City: Kemah, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Hey Mike, you can also plan a route on your iPad on Navionics and upload to your GARMIN chart plotter via wifi or Bluetooth. Can you do that with that Raymarine stuff???
Well, absolutely! I have EVEN been able to do the route on Navionics and export the gpx files and upload to a Garmin as well (although it takes a few more steps...)

I was planning in Navionics and uploading wirelessly to Raymarine in this boat and the last one.

It’s actually pretty cool with the replay functions and attaching to pictures you take with your iPhone while on the trip. Nicely done app.
mjoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #46
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
A $130 Bluetooth gps will let you use any pad. I think it is cheaper to get an external gps than to jump up one level in iPads to the one with an internal gps.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
This article is about 2 yrs old, but they provide a useful spreadsheet comparing all the available apps.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/latest...ews+03-14-2018

Quote:
A $130 Bluetooth gps will let you use any pad.
We had a non-GPS iPad so I just bought a “Bad Elf” external GPS unit. Works fine. About $100 on Amazon.
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #48
Veteran Member

City: East Lyme
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1988 46' Grand Banks Classic
IOS Navigation Apps

We use both Navioinics and Aqua Map. Navionics is on my IPAD and Iphone and Reymarine MFD. Aqua Maps is on IPAD and Iphone. We use Navionics for planning routes at home which are uploaded to our chart plotter. We use Aqua Maps to check routing information such as depth profiles and Active Captain inputs. In route we navigate with our MFD but have Aqua Maps on and IPAD along side. I also allow AIS to diplay on the IPAD with Aqua Maps and the Raymarine MFD.
jrhodes777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #49
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhodes777 View Post
We use both Navioinics and Aqua Map. Navionics is on my IPAD and Iphone and Reymarine MFD. Aqua Maps is on IPAD and Iphone. We use Navionics for planning routes at home which are uploaded to our chart plotter. We use Aqua Maps to check routing information such as depth profiles and Active Captain inputs. In route we navigate with our MFD but have Aqua Maps on and IPAD along side. I also allow AIS to diplay on the IPAD with Aqua Maps and the Raymarine MFD.
Where does the AIS information come from?
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #50

City: Trieste
Aqua Map and Navionics receive AIS data from onboard AIS transponder through a NMEA to WiFi gateway, some apps instead have "online AIS" but data arrive with a delay and are not available out of cell coverage.
sp91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:14 AM   #51
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Where does the AIS information come from?
https://www2.vespermarine.com/watchmate-smartais
Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:36 AM   #52

Just found this recent article

https://www.panbo.com/a-few-valuable...your-favorite/
Old 12-12-2019, 03:47 AM   #53

Impressive upgrade, just mail them to know about the Android version.
https://youtu.be/Gs2NHnSfUFY
Old 02-03-2020, 04:21 PM   #54
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I have always liked Navionics, but downloaded Aqua Maps recently for access to Active Captain and some other features after reading this thread. The display is nice, and a good resource overall but one thing I did not like: The chart does not pan forward while the boat is moving to keep the boat icon in the center of the chart so I have to continually get out of the helm chair and do it manually. Is it just me, or do others also experience this?

Edit, I am using a large IPad with a built in GPS.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:49 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
I have always liked Navionics, but downloaded Aqua Maps recently for access to Active Captain and some other features after reading this thread. The display is nice, and a good resource overall but one thing I did not like: The chart does not pan forward while the boat is moving to keep the boat icon in the center of the chart so I have to continually get out of the helm chair and do it manually. Is it just me, or do others also experience this?

Edit, I am using a large IPad with a built in GPS.
Simply tap on the upper left icon.
Aqua Map - App GPS function
Old 02-04-2020, 06:13 AM   #56
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I used to prefer Navionics, but since I hooked AquaMaps to my Vesper gps/AIS I am leaning to it. With the Vesper gps input it exactly matches the Furuno position when traveling and when docked it is accurate down to the position in the slip. Navionics is always a bit off although it is much easier to use for route planning with the automatic feature.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:02 AM   #57
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Thanks SP. i went through their tutorial, and I believe I tapped that button (a couple times), but will try it again.

WH, connecting the AIS to the App is on my list. Good to hear it works well for you.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #58

City: Boynton Beach, FL
I agree with a lot of folks here- Navionics has been a great resource for us. We have used it for the last 6 or 7 years. Pricing models have changed through the years but it's always well worth the price (it's always relatively small!)
It's great for planning routes, saving tracks, marking spots, and even getting updates from other boaters (through Community Edits which allows boaters to add spots and comments).
cruiserChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #59

City: Sacramento
Vessel Name: River Roost
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 32
Ditto on the iOS version of AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
We mostly use Garmin Active Captain on our phones (we pulled the maps down from our Garmin 7612xsv chartplotter) but we also have Navionics. Nice to have options and to be able to crosscheck.
I do something very similar. I use Garmin AC on an iPad mini. I can use it to mirror my Garmin MFD when on the fly bridge or I can use it independently with the AC software.

A big advantage of the iPad version: in the Calif. Delta, it shows a form of animated tidal current vectors. Very useful.

A note of caution, if you're using the iPad version independently, it will only work if you buy the "cell" version of the iPad. You don't have to activate the cell function (I haven't), but this hardware version is the only iPad that has a built-in GPS chip.
tom.gohring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:24 PM   #60

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Wow, three pages into this thread and no one has mentioned Wartsila iSailor yet? I use this iPad app, almost exclusively now on INFINITY (although I run a 2009 version of Nobeltec alongside it, for back up).

I've used the iSailor from Hawaii to Australia on our own vessel, and again on a professional delivery from Norway to Singapore. The program performed flawlessly in all situations, and any hicupps were from the iPad itself, rather than the nav software. I'm a fan. I'm 5 years of use into this program, and I really like it so I'm happy to recommend it here.

Wärtsilä iSailor - Marine Navigation, Chart Plotter and AIS Viewer for iPhone and iPad

nemier is offline   Reply With Quote