Extreme social distancing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"How are the mosquitos and nosee’ems this time of year."

Almost non existing. It does get cold in FL fer a few days in a row and this is enough to wipe out the flying bugs.

In the summer screens are required , as is air cooling for most folks.

There's a nasty bug going around,
that has me staying put within.
I wonder around the kitchen
and I see the frig with a grin.
So, let's see.
I may be stuck in the boat all day,
and maybe even for weeks.
I'll just stuff myself with things I make,
and let's start off with the cake!
I turn on the tube and trouble is what I see,
as I grab the knife and cut myself a huge second piece.
I make myself a ham and cheese,
with mustard on toasted rye.
With shortages all over the place,
Oooo that reminds me, I forgot about the pie.
Whipped cream on top with a cherry and a smile,
as I sit and wait this virus out, I'll do it all in style.
Then, on the frig door are those pickle eggs I love,
with a can of sardines, some spicy kielbasa, all on a cracker or a bun.
An there's the marshmallow fluff and the peanut butter,
with two slices of bread would make it even better.
Oh, and there's the eggnog behind the pickles,
and the last of the ginger ale, it makes my nose tickle.
There's only one hot dog left, and a bun that's all alone,
and leftovers of St Patrick's Day and Mrs. O'Connor's Irish Scones.
An then I'm feel'n a little queasy,,,, and not looking to good,
So I head off to the ER, as I know I should.
A doctor asks how I feel as I sign some papers and wait,
I tell him that I don't have the bug,
I think it's something I ate!

We try to work on our boat each day that I am able. It is pretty much a social distancing event since it is in a barn and no one else is there. Usually by this time of the year there are quite a few people around getting their boats ready to launch, not this year.

I’m walking out my back door most mornings to reach our boat docked on our canal, maybe 100 ft. away. On the way I cross a shelled walking path that frequently has a morning walker or two. Of course I greet them, but as of late, there is no response. I didn’t know this social distancing required no waving, no smile, no tilt of the head, no nothing.:eek:

Here people are still greeting each other and some still have trouble remembering to keep their distance but they are still friendly.

This morning a local FL county gave an edict that boats must stay at least 50 ft apart.

Today as we entered Charleston area from north on the AICW, we saw hundreds of boats out just running up and down the waterway, almost all stuffed with people shoulder to shoulder.

We were out in our boat last Saturday and my wife said we should name our boat that :rofl:

After seeing how close boats were parking near us on the weekend I was thinking "Stay The Fek Away" was more like it.

Lost it Saturday and up anchored and ran away to hide amongst the sandbanks.

Freaking out a bit now as boat is booked to come out on Friday for some work.
Not sure how ill handle that.

Amazing they had to close beaches for spring break, because people weren’t taking it seriously. Italy reports 10k dead. We try.

New Mavic Mini Owner

Hi!

A couple of comments from a new Mavic Mini owner. I bought the fly more bundle with the extra batteries, case, etc. I think it is a good bargain if you are going to buy the drone. The Mini is easy to operate even for a beginner (this is only my second drone). There are a lot of good tutorials on the tube to help you get ready but you do need to practice. I found it a bit of a challenge to get used to switching from flying while you watch the drone to flying while you watch where it is going on your screen. I'm impressed with all the technology and engineering that DJI brings to the product. There are good reasons that they have something like 70+% of the drone market worldwide. Overall I think it is a lot of fun and would recommend it as a great start.

Yeah that's the Spark replacement. That's a good drone for the money. No you can't land on a moving boat.

There is a way to keep moving your home position using the remote's location. That gets you close when landing. With the boat stopped you interrupt the return to home process and land manually when it is close.

Underway shots are: Stop the boat. Launch. Get moving. Film. Stop the boat. Land.

Get the extras and more batteries. The trade-off for having such a small conveniently sized drone is the flying time is a little short around 7 minutes. No problem for me.

Oh, and just because you're stopped relative to the water doesn't mean the boat is not moving (current) -- don't ask me how I know.....

Have fun!

Just wanted to give an update, a mea culpa, and an apology on specifics about the Mavic Mini drone.

Before saying it was a replacement for the Spark, I did not fully do my homework. DJI has indeed replaced the Spark with the Mini at its price point. HOWEVER, they have removed the "follow me/active tracking" feature!!
It never occurred to me that a company would completely replace a like-category product and remove what amounts to quite a fundamental feature. In my opinion, this is a critical mode for filming boating activities. They don't make it obvious at all in their marketing that it no longer has follow-me modes.....

See: No "Follow Me" mode... bummer! and:

Here is a (very) marginal workaround: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWuBDM9uHOQ

The next price point at DJI that has follow me is the Mavic Air. There are other drone manufacturers that have this feature included at lower price points.

I sincerely apologize for any confusion I might have caused.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom