Extended cruising refrigeration needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Even the most efficient well insulated shore power freezer, set up with a dedicated inverter that is switched on/off by a 12V powered thermostat, burns AH at double or triple the rate of these ultra-efficient systems designed to run of DC only.

There's a whole industry, supplying thousands of units per month all around the world, do you think it's all based on stupid customers?

If you really think they use 2 or 3 x the juice then yes, I think there are a lot of stupid people.
Probably the same ones that think a smart phone or tablet can only mean apple.

Fwiw the people I know that are running small 240v bar fridges on their sailing cat have also had 12v eskies and compared the two.
Real life users say there is no where near the 3 or even 2x that you claim.

Maybe you are comparing to Peltier-based 12V coolers, which are both incredible inefficient, and also very ineffective in hot ambient temperatures.

I am talking about Danfoss-style compressor based freezers and fridges from the vendors as specified in my initial post above (#7), as well as the portable units from ARB, Engel, Waeco etc.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=603502

I have never seen a shore fridge on an inverter consume less than 25AH per day even in ideal conditions, and they usually get up to 40+AH in normal summer, not even tropical ones.

I have often seen compressor units consume under 10AH per day, and very rarely over 25, even when used as freezers dialed down to 15°F.

Last edited:
They were Waeco and Engels.
Both use danfoss BD 30 or 35 from memory.

They are good, but IMHO need a dedicated custom built box with 100mm min of foam or vac panels to get the touted efficiency figures from them in a tropical climate and, of course, a 240v fridge would be incredibly efficient when doing the same.
Most of the tests for these style of fridges, Waeco at least, are done in cool climates where anything works better.

Yes, a plentiful energy available on demand enables that attitude, very common in the fossil fueled world. Not needing to be energy efficient makes the consuming devices cheaper, that's for sure.

Sailing, especially the 99% which are small boats with no genset, is very different.

And living on the hook, rarely if ever seeing shore power even more so, then burning fuel never or just a few hours per week total is a great goal.

Not for your context obviously, but valid for many.

And the fact remains there are people with boats large enough to have adequate solar for an energy source and batteries for energy storage to avoid having to pay for so called marine refrigerators and freezers. I enjoy an 8.2 cuft apartment stye refrigerator with self defrost as do many others without the need for shore power.

You're preaching a spartan's life style to those who do not need to be preached.

Last edited:
Not "preaching" anything, just making sure correct info's available, obviously take it or leave it.

Your group of posts on this topic reads like “preaching” to me. Time to relax John

Sounds like 2 kids saying, "My refrigerator is better than yours.", and the response is, "No it's not, mine is better." LOL

Solution: Pick out the one you can afford, will fit in the available space and satisfy your needs. LOL

Sounds like 2 kids saying, "My refrigerator is better than yours.", and the response is, "No it's not, mine is better." LOL

Solution: Pick out the one you can afford, will fit in the available space and satisfy your needs. LOL

Hey there Old Dan--- No kid here! My discussion had nothing to do with whose refrigerator was better. Mine was about how the appliance was powered. Tough getting old, reading skill seems to be the first thing to suffer-- :thumb:

Last edited:
Been a year now, threw an Engle 12V only in my truck as an experiment and have been schocked at the efficiency. Longest period on truck batteries (720 amps, 3yrs old) and Detroit still fired after 6 days. Winner, winner chicken dinner for for extended off grid use. 2 fridges plus freezer/cooler unit should be worry free. Thanks for all the input!

"So $3000 worth of 12v to do what a domestic $200 bar fridge does."

While a $5,000 to $15,000 runs at about $5.00 per lifetime hour,

OR a ton ( at $1.00lb or $1.00 per amp) of battery discharge .

The basic question is what do you have loads of that you can use?

Motor cruiser , travel every day, Eutetic plates can keep the traveling required down to 30 min .

Noisemaker ? Run like a shore house almost 24/7 , any cheapo home freezer will do fine.

Acres of solar? DC in a good box works great ,till the rain starts.

There is no Best , only Best for the service you require , then its the Best for you , but perhaps not for all.

How you operate , what you like cruising makes all the difference.

Remember BESTITIS is a disease , not an operation requirement.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom