Old 06-21-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: calabasas
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Was this explosion necessary?

I am all for the Navy doing its thing although not sure this test was required.

https://www.dw.com/en/us-navy-tests-...ion/a-57976215
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer View Post

Probably not. But, what the heck, why not detonate it under the ship? Then they would know for sure.

Heck, there's always something that will take down this ship and one may not know what or when it's coming.... especially in war.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer View Post

And your experience in certifying warships is?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
People complain about military spending until we REALLY NEED it.

Freedom isn't free

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Patuxent River
Vessel Model: Bristol 42
These types of tests are absolutely required. There are extremely sensitive electronics onboard that need to be tested for shock resistance. Part of my job is certifying the landing systems onboard CVNs (the SPN-41B and SPN-46). Explosions like these can absolutely knock these systems out of battery, which would mean no precision landing capability for the Air Wing. We need to know that the equipment meets design specifications before we can declare it operationally ready.
Dashash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
In my some what limited knowledge of commissioning 13 billion dollar warships I say it’s completely necessary. You are welcome to your opinion but my freedom is worth this expenditure.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #7

City: Northport
I guess the question is what would they do if it failed?!?! Lmao. (Go build another one? Make it into a cruise ship). Try to raise it from the ocean bottom and have every engineer submit their resignation?

That being said, I am sure the tech/engineering weenies knew it would be fine.

I think this may have been a message to folks like Iran that says “you can get close in a small craft suicide bomb run, but we will light you up with chain guns and it will have no effect other than to turn Tehran into a parking lot.

Im all for it
Alisske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashash View Post
These types of tests are absolutely required. There are extremely sensitive electronics onboard that need to be tested for shock resistance. Part of my job is certifying the landing systems onboard CVNs (the SPN-41B and SPN-46). Explosions like these can absolutely knock these systems out of battery, which would mean no precision landing capability for the Air Wing. We need to know that the equipment meets design specifications before we can declare it operationally ready.

That's a good point, but could we assume there's a LOT more testing way before it gets to this kind of explosion? And wouldn't there be back up systems also?
Old 06-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #9
Guru

Gotta love TF, so many questions about simple trawlers but question how to go about testing warships.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #10
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
As the fish said, WTF??
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
That's a good point, but could we assume there's a LOT more testing way before it gets to this kind of explosion? And wouldn't there be back up systems also?
Testing a piece of equipment on a lab bench is one thing - testing it installed on a ship is another. You would be surprised (and probably horrified) to see how some of these sensitive electronics are mounted to the structure of the ship. The final steps of testing any new system, or system of systems, is to test it as it would be installed and operated in its final form.

I'd rather not go into a discussion of specifics regarding back-up systems/redundancy, etc. This topic gets sensitive very quickly.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisske View Post
I guess the question is what would they do if it failed?!?! Lmao. (Go build another one? Make it into a cruise ship). Try to raise it from the ocean bottom and have every engineer submit their resignation?

That being said, I am sure the tech/engineering weenies knew it would be fine.

I think this may have been a message to folks like Iran that says “you can get close in a small craft suicide bomb run, but we will light you up with chain guns and it will have no effect other than to turn Tehran into a parking lot.

Im all for it
The purpose of the test was not to see whether the CVN would sink!
Old 06-21-2021, 11:21 AM   #13
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
These shock tests are EXTREMELY expensive; so you can assume it is not something done willy nilly. Such tests are ONLY done on one ship, usually the lead ship, per class. It is NOT a structural survival test of the ship's hull because just think about it; are we really gonna take such a risk? Near misses by enemy action and explosions of tactical nuclear weapons are a part of the risks of naval warfare, and you want to be sure that short of a direct hit your stuff will continue to function in order to fight back. If all the electrical breakers trip just because of a nearby explosion, your ship could be "down" long enough for the enemy to take advantage of your helplessness as systems are brought back on line. You should see what the Army does to it's new armored vehicles! It blows them to heck in an effort to find the weak spots.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #14

City: Cairns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
People complain about military spending until we REALLY NEED it.

Freedom isn't free

pete
Maybe...

Blowing up and stress testing a vessel, that is designed to come under fire, to confirm its effectiveness makes sense to me. It's a few million dollars well spend ensuring lives will be saved.

$14,000 toiiet seats? Less so.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #15
Guru

Ever here the full story on $14,000 dollar toilet seats?

I haven't heard them all but a few make perfect sense and sometimes the not so shameless government contractors manage to slip in a few over charges.

Kinda like a $5 part that is no longer OEM , now costs $99 with $50 shipping/handling charge from XYZ Marine website.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashash View Post
The purpose of the test was not to see whether the CVN would sink!
There are many reasons to do something. I believe it factored into the decision at a minimum, but what do I know? These tests are SOP but the Navy has commissioned several large ship recently without doing it.

Aside from the technical justifications (which i avoided in purpose since i have no qualification) this test also lets folks know our capabilities. (Which can be a deterrent)

Whats the purpose of publicizing it then? Everything is done for a a reason.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #17

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Quote:
There are many reasons to do something. I believe it factored into the decision at a minimum, but what do I know? These tests are SOP but the Navy has commissioned several large ship recently without doing it.

I do believe it is a first of class type of test.
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTurner View Post
I do believe it is a first of class type of test.
Yes. I agree. I believe they did not do it for the newly designed littoral class ships. (There was some sort of controversy surrounding it something where they only used 10k worth and delayed it until after commissioning)
Old 06-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #19
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
This is not the first time they've done it. One time, an earthquake was reported offshore of Daytona and it turned out to be the Navy testing one of these tests... I felt the vibration and the windows rattled like a NASA launch... and I was 80 miles from Daytona.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #20
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Yes. I agree. I believe they did not do it for the newly designed littoral class ships. (There was some sort of controversy surrounding it something where they only used 10k worth and delayed it until after commissioning)
The littorals would crack up if they did that. They have never been able to traverse the panama canal without an incident... Great to have a ship so expensive that they had to cancel the ammunition because we can't afford it.

Never let government contractors tell you what they think you need.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote