Old 06-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #61
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Anyone know why the Navy does these kinds of tests?
Best guess,
A: to determine if the design and construction is battle ready.

Let's face it, it has been a long time since we have had a naval battle the size we fought during WWII
Old 06-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #62
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Best guess,
A: to determine if the design and construction is battle ready.

Let's face it, it has been a long time since we have had a naval battle the size we fought during WWII

That question was an example the OP could of used instead of using the word "necessary"..... I know why, the OP didn't and his OP led me to question what his quals were to question the necessity.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #63
Guru

City: Boston Area
Believe it or not, there is a rational viewpoint between "Everything the military does is wasteful" and the other extreme "Everything the military does is patriotic and necessary" I really think the majority of people understand this, but the minorities at either end of that continuum make more noise than the people in the middle, and when they do, they incite the people on the opposite end to make more noise......and eventually the irrational drown out the rational.

Yes, the US Military is a very necessary and vital part of maintaining our way of life and should not be taken for granted.

Yes, the military has made mistakes. What organization that large and that old hasn't ?!?! Especially since they have to constantly push the frontier of technology.

Yes, you can be a proud and patriotic American and support the men and women who serve, and question some of the methods and practices that are used. We constantly task our military to do more, do it better and do it faster and yet we have to keep their spending under control. We want them to be big enough to police the entire globe, yet be nimble enough to adapt quickly. We want them to maintain peace by giving them bombs. We want to reduce their budget during peacetime, but be ready for wartime. These conundrums will create compromises, both economic and political.

The solution to every compromise requires understanding all sides of an issue, and the only way to do that is to listen to people with different ideas and trusting people with different experiences. I think blindly supporting everything the military does is as bad for the country as constantly denouncing everything they do. Just like your VHF will not be very useful if your microphone is always enacted, your brain will not be very useful if your mouth is always engaged.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #64
Guru

Thanks...I know most of us must sound and act like we are 6 years old.

Read Eisenhower on the "Military-Industrial Complex"....
Old 06-27-2021, 07:32 PM   #65
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Thanks...I know most of us must sound and act like we are 6 years old.

Read Eisenhower on the "Military-Industrial Complex"....
Yes, read Ike's Farewell Speech, everyone should, https://www.eisenhowerlibrary.gov/re...rewell-address

What is interesting is that Ike's speech is called the Military Industrial Complex speech, yet he also warns about the wasteful government spending in general, mortgaging our grand children's assets, as well as the Research Industrial Complex, along with a few other things.

Yet, when politicians and the press mention the speech, it always is about the big bad Military Industrial Complex, and nary a word is said about Ike's warning regarding government spending, government debt, or the Research Industrial Complex....

I wonder why?

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:06 PM   #66

City: Henderson, NV
Vessel Name: HI-HO
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 462 (my fantasy)
Re: Fate of the Thresher, why must lives be in danger to conduct depth tests, when there's adequate technology, I'm sure, that can do them w/o lives at stake? I assume, for example there were very few crew aboard the Ford during that test.
ddw36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:10 AM   #67

City: Green Country
This certainly seems to be a troll thread from the start. While I'm not up to speed on the Thresher incident, I'm curious how one might operate a submarine at depth without a full crew. Any ideas?

PS: Tech in 1963 is much different then today...
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:56 AM   #68
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddw36 View Post
Re: Fate of the Thresher, why must lives be in danger to conduct depth tests, when there's adequate technology, I'm sure, that can do them w/o lives at stake? I assume, for example there were very few crew aboard the Ford during that test.
I would assume that in 1963 they did not have the technology to operate something as complex as a nuclear sub remotely. I suspect a lot of their safety procedures and back up systems require a crewman to implement.

They had redundant systems, decended slowly, and had a sub tender on scene. I think they had a contingency for every scenario they could imagine. The fact that a scenario they hadn't imagined occurred is exactly why testing is done.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:37 AM   #69
Guru

The classified sections of the Thresher report I think were just released in the last year.

I think some former Navy sub guy has been pursuing this for a long time as he had serious doubts as to the formerly released report. I haven't looked at the new stuff yet.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:39 AM   #70

City: Henderson, NV
Vessel Name: HI-HO
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 462 (my fantasy)
Quote:
The classified sections of the Thresher report I think were just released in the last year.

I think some former Navy sub guy has been pursuing this for a long time as he had serious doubts as to the formerly released report. I haven't looked at the new stuff yet.
Read all about it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Thresher_(SSN-593)
ddw36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #71
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
good reading, thanks
Old 06-28-2021, 06:33 AM   #72
Guru

DDW36 and others,
Wikipedia gives 3 or for 4 reason for removing that page on the Thresher.

The 593 did have a full crew and some yard workers onboard.

On a sub, such a test needs a full crew to fight any incident during testing.

I was onboard a sub, testing while coming back from a "war patrol", before going to the yard, there was an incident. If it were not for the crew, the sub would have been lost, end of my story. YOU dont need to know any more about it. There has been many theories put forth by the media and other civilian organizations none of which were true. Do I know, ummm, err, I know what was done to my sub after the Thresher's loss.

Per operating a sub remotely, that is not going to happen. End of story.

You/we want all our ships and subs "war ready" and the only way that is going to happen is through drills, testing, more drills.

On subs, when I was in, when we went to battle stations, never did they say, "This is a drill."
I was on a destroyer and quarter deck watch. Fire in mount 51 (5"X38) I could tell you how I initially sounded the alarm etc. I will share that we were outboard, rafted to another ship. After sounding the alarm and adding, "This is not a drill", I sent my runner to the inboard ship informing them of the incident and then, I took my phone off the hook. That phone belonged to me, so I could seek further assistance as necessary. My quarter deck running was surprised. LOL I was surprised I took that action too. I do not recall any training on such an incident. LOL My ship, my phone. I dont need someone interrupting the crew from responding.

So you see, operating a naval ship remotely is not going to happen. Can you even imagine what would happen if it were not for the crew's actions? Hint: Charleston harbor would look totally different. Many lives would have been lost in the shipyard too. So get over yourself, remote operation of a navy warship is not going to happen.

I'm done.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #73
Guru

recent headline...

This Navy Drone Ship Just Traveled Nearly 5,000 Miles from the Gulf Coast to California....

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...alifornia.html

True not a warship, but smaller combatants are being tested too.... only a matter of time.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:55 AM   #74
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
recent headline...

This Navy Drone Ship Just Traveled Nearly 5,000 Miles from the Gulf Coast to California....

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...alifornia.html

True not a warship, but smaller combatants are being tested too.... only a matter of time.
A year or 2 ago, I read about an underwater drone that the Russians have or are developing, that can deliver a nuclear weapon to the East coast of the U.S.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:21 AM   #75

City: lockhart
Quote:
Hmmmmm. The link goes to an empty Wiki page.
phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:21 AM   #76
Guru

For decades scientists have been using underwater drones to collect open ocean data from various depths. They are actually underwater gliders using no propulsion, just various ballasting to descend in a glide, then rise and transmit data/acquire GPS posit.

Sent out one day to retrieve one that had been out for a month and had returned to the Jersey coast.

It is amazing what is out there underwater without most knowing it.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:23 AM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillippeterson View Post
Hmmmmm. The link goes to an empty Wiki page.

Copy link, add last parenthesis, paste in search engine
Old 06-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #78
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Quote:
I am still bound to the 'promise not to confirm nor disclose, under penalty of prison time.' any such information.
I had the unique pleasure to get a “tour” of a fast attack sub at Pearl Harbor. IIRC it was in the early 90’s. My sister-in-law was a close friend of the captain’s wife. He organized this for a small group of us while the ship was in port for some repairs, but not dry-docked; 10 people max, split into two groups. Don’t remember the name of the boat. The XO took us. There were many questions that he would not answer, many facts he would not provide. I remember top speed was one; all he said was it “could do 30 knots”. Another was operating depth. His answer? “Deep”. The speed indicators and other gauges etc were all covered up. We were not allowed to see the reactor area/equipment. And were not allowed into the torpedo room. It was still very interesting. He did disclose that we were “standing on $1 billion of taxpayer’s money”.

Is it true that the youngest, newest, most inexperienced sailors were tasked with actually driving the thing?
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:51 AM   #79
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post

Is it true that the youngest, newest, most inexperienced sailors were tasked with actually driving the thing?
Yup. Although nuclear trained personnel don't have to. Fair amount of testing and selection to get to a sub. Once you are there than the real stress and psychological testing/conditioning starts. Good way to start is by giving them a valuable job, under the guidance of others. Either weeds a few more out or teaches them responsibility.

Everyone has to undergo the same qualifications. Even the person who is there to cook the food, still has to draw a one-line diagram (like a P&ID) of every mechanical and electrical system on board, know the location of every valve and electrical panel, and safety gear on board, has to learn firefighting and damage control, and has to be able to go from one end of the ship to the other, completely blindfolded while depending on Emergency Air Breathing manifolds to get your next breath of air. It takes about a year to complete a qual card. There are verbal exams for every system. One will be given various levels (and means) of "assistance" to qualify, but you either qualify or get tossed out to the surface fleet. Underperformance is not accepted. As Yoda said "Do. Or do not. There is no try."
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:04 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post
The helmsman is train and supervised by a more senior helmsman.
When one qualifies on submarines, (earn your dolphins) you must be able to show knowledge and operate the necessary equipment through out the boat. Of course you must have a greater knowledge skill of your normal station.

We all young at the time, daymn so very young, even the captain and XO.