Old 08-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Essex, CT
Vessel Name: Neon Moon
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 480 Classico
Exploring upgrade

We have a 48 Ocean Alexander Classico and are looking at some of the Pilothouse models in the 52-62' range. The Pilothouses seem to be better set-up for live aboard and ease of use. While We are mostly on the bridge underway, we really like having a settee/table in the pilothouse as a work area, separate form the salon. Ultimately, we want to do the loop and prefer the lower profile of these styles.

Between Offshore, Marlowe, Fleming, Selene, Alaskan, etc... which seem to have the better values? What are the "buyer beware" known issues? Would really like to hear from people with good/bad first-hand experiences.
KevinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
I'm looking similar size and style. The OA 51 Classico PH's we looked at seem to have serious Gelkote crazing issues. The DeFever 49' RPH's have soft Gelkote and some weird design issues covering wood door/window frames with thick Gelkote which can be expensive to repair when it cracks (and it will). The earlier Selenes have balsa cored decks and most we looked at were already wet. At the least the POCTA built DeFevers have Divinylcell cored decks, not balsa cored. Can't comment on the others.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatswing View Post
I'm looking similar size and style. The OA 51 Classico PH's we looked at seem to have serious Gelkote crazing issues. The DeFever 49' RPH's have soft Gelkote and some weird design issues covering wood door/window frames with thick Gelkote which can be expensive to repair when it cracks (and it will). The earlier Selenes have balsa cored decks and most we looked at were already wet. At the least the POCTA built DeFevers have Divinylcell cored decks, not balsa cored. Can't comment on the others.

Good luck!
This is very informative, Thank you.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We went through a phase during the initial figuring-out-what-might-work / dreaming segment where we looked at a lot of these pilothouse type boats... OA's, Flemings, Offshore, GB Aleutian and a few others. We really liked the Offshore and knew happy owners. In fact for awhile I had an Offshore 62 as the screensaver on my computer at work. But after doing a lot more cruising via charter, we ruled out pilot house boats altogether for personal ergonomic reasons. Reason #1 is that I very much like being able to get a 360 degree view without taking my hands off the helm. Reason #2 was that we did not want any steps between us and any part of the exterior decks.
I really like the aforementioned brands, but I was so happy we got a boat that gave us the ergonomics that were right for us.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Caltexflanc: What did you end up with?
Old 08-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Just curious what your air draft limit is? I did the loop last year and was able to limbo under 15'. With the vessels and size range you listed, I'm assuming you're not taking the 15' 6" route. Wondering if they clear 19'.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote