Expectations During a Seatrial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When selling a boat I try my best to do anything to make the sale go smoothly short of discounting to price. Boat purchases are a fairly personal decision. I typically want the new owner feel comfortable asking anything about the boat.. and let them know I WILL answer questions after the sale. Why not pass on the knowledge gained from years of ownership?. I also make sure they know there is no guarantee on the boat.
I cannot remember if I posted the situation when I sold the 40' Sea Ray we had for a short time before buying the current Ocean Alexander. A Couple watched me fit the boat into a very small space on a dock then commented on how "purdy" she was.. never to miss a opportunity to sell the boat I casually mentioned it was for sale.. 5 minutes later they were on the boat and I was showing it off, 15 minutes later we cast the lines and I let " Billy Bob" take the helm after clearing the marina. They obviously liked the boat right off.. I was a bit concerned about the step up from their 1979 21' Bayliner and of course their ability to afford my boat but they felt comfortable telling me about Aunt Martha dying and leaving them a "**** ton" of money so I figured might as well see where it would go.

Billy Bob and Norma Jean (yes I am using their actual names) had spent a chunk of Aunt Martha's money buy the time I got the boat back to the dock 20 minutes later. The thing that had impressed them (they told me later) was I was willing to show them the boat in a personal way, they had been ignored by numerous boat brokers that wouldn't give them the time of day. I pointed out the few very minor squawks with the boat and they were good with the boat.

It was 4th of July weekend a few years back and we closed the following Monday.. They really wanted me to go through the boat in detail regarding service, things to look for and general operation so we did a 4 hr session, docked the boat a bunch of times ( he had never run a 800+ hp twin before) and when they were comfortable he put me off on the dock. Have talked to him a couple times after and they were still very happy.

My long winded point is that boats are a big purchase that most times it feels equivalent to buying a new parachute then stepping out the door of the plane.. you hope it will all work out and you hope it doesn't kill you.
Unfortunately the world is run by lawyers that want to protect us from ourselves or the party they represent so most things like this are done at arms length and its not personal... or its the brokers wanting us to be impressed by their sales skills.
HOLLYWOOD

Back
Top Bottom