exhaust riser solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon B

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
41' Defever
Hi to all,
We have twin TAMD 41a Volvo's. The exhaust riser solenoid on the port engine has quit working. I'm having a hard time cross referencing the solenoid.
Does anyone know where to look?
Also, what exactly does the solenoid do and why?

Thanks
Gordo

I guess I don't know what an exhaust riser solenoid is. Can you elaborate?

I've got the later TAMD41P and there's no solenoid on the riser. It's basically an old school diesel with no wires other than a few sensors attached. Maybe you mean something else?

I've got the complete TAMD41A parts book if I can help you with numbers..

I think that device is to choke off exhaust at cold idle to minimize blue smoke. I think you can disable it wide open or remove it with no issues. I don't think it did much anyway..

I think that device is to choke off exhaust at cold idle to minimize blue smoke. I think you can disable it wide open or remove it with no issues. I don't think it did much anyway..

Wow, really? If you choke it off, where does the exhaust go? Must be a partial restriction, maybe to retain heat while it warms?

Gordon

Could you post a picture? Be doubly sure it isn't something else, like a waste gate actuator or loss of raw water temperature sensor.

I think it's called a stop solenoid. item 2a
I may have found a replacement, but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks to all
Gordo

Attachments

• Solenoid with Installation Components A(1).pdf
    96.1 KB · Views: 55
What does this have to do with the exhaust riser?

A stop solenoid cuts off fuel to the engine by moving a lever on the injection pump to stop it.

David

What does this have to do with the exhaust riser?

A stop solenoid cuts off fuel to the engine by moving a lever on the injection pump to stop it.

David

This might be a dumb question, but why is it connected to the riser, also what happens if it doesn't work or is taken off? Can this be the cause of an overheating problem?
Thank

Ski is correct. Some of the TMD41A have a solenoid on the exhaust riser. There are a few different versions, and you need your engine serial number to confirm which version you have.

The exhaust solenoid is normally open but when the key is on, and the throttle is in the idle position, this solenoid closes to restrict and heat up the exhaust. The purpose to to minimize any smoke in the exhaust at idle.

The solenoid is supposed to open wide once the throttle is increased. If it is not opening fully, it would cause an overheating issue.

They are expensive to replace. If it was me, I'd consider removing the guts so it is always open.

Last edited:
Ski is correct. Some of the TMD41A have a solenoid on the exhaust riser. There are a few different versions, and you need your engine serial number to confirm which version you have.

The exhaust solenoid is normally open but when the key is on, and the throttle is in the idle position, this solenoid closes to restrict and heat up the exhaust. The purpose to to minimize any smoke in the exhaust at idle.

The solenoid is supposed to open wide once the throttle is increased. If it is not opening fully, it would cause an overheating issue.

They are expensive to replace. If it was me, I'd consider removing the guts so it is always open.

Thank you so much for the explanation. I am going to do as suggested and
disable it so it is always opened.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom