Exercising and Fitness while Living Aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am an avid runner and do like the challenge of running long distance races. If your the type of runner that doesn't only run for the exercise, than living on a boat can be a challenge. Depending on the type of live aboard boating you intend to do.

When at a dock, running is easily a part of your activity. So, if your going to travel and stay at various marinas on your way, running actually becomes fun. You get to see and run in new places. However, if your like us and intend to stay mostly on anchor or a mooring, than it becomes a challenge. Taking the dingy in for each run can be a pain. That being said, I trained for the NYC Marathon doing just that, mostly in Block Island and Martha's Vineyard. I just got out early in the morning, went ashore and ran. I was usually back in time for the normal days activities with my wife. For the most part though, I view the time on our boat as "non-running" time, get one in when I can.

With bikes, I would bring them in on our inflatable and leave them locked up ashore. We have fold ups and no way 30 miles a day. More like no more than 10 miles when needed.

Enjoy!
I have a dear friend who had been long-distance running since college (1970). He has run the Death Valley 129-mile ultra marathon twice. He no longer runs, not by choice. There are far better means of staying in top condition, whatever that is, than running long distances. The human spine is not designed for the constant compressions that running imparts. Back, hip, and knee problems await. So, runners may not die of a heart attack but there is significant risk of a life of pain and debility in the later years.

Much of the info put out by previous generations that running is bad for your joints has now been proven to be false.

My orthopedic surgeon who is also a former olympic athlete and olympic coach would disagree with that statement. But if running is your thing, go for it. I'm just saying from experience that things wear out and when they do it's about the worst thing you can experience from a quality of life standpoint. Genetics may play a lot into it but Osteoarthritis is called "wear and tear arthritis" for a reason. I'm all for excercise, just saying to go easy on your joints.

I have a dear friend who had been long-distance running since college (1970). He has run the Death Valley 129-mile ultra marathon twice. He no longer runs, not by choice. There are far better means of staying in top condition, whatever that is, than running long distances. The human spine is not designed for the constant compressions that running imparts. Back, hip, and knee problems await. So, runners may not die of a heart attack but there is significant risk of a life of pain and debility in the later years.

Right or wrong I agree with your concluisions having lived through some of them personally. If you run because you love to do it, then enjoy it and hope for the best. If it's simply your choice of excercise, why not consider less impactful but equally beneficila activities like cycling and swimming, etc. I never really got into running because it was boring to me. But I would love to bicycle 100 miles instead. Maybe it's the change of scenery or more changes in body movement than just runnning that made cycling more appealing to me. To each his own YMMV.

Right or wrong I agree with your concluisions having lived through some of them personally. If you run because you love to do it, then enjoy it and hope for the best. If it's simply your choice of excercise, why not consider less impactful but equally beneficila activities like cycling and swimming, etc. I never really got into running because it was boring to me. But I would love to bicycle 100 miles instead. Maybe it's the change of scenery or more changes in body movement than just runnning that made cycling more appealing to me. To each his own YMMV.
Humans are terrific at the "maybe it won't happen to me" psyche. Or, "I'll worry about that when the time comes". But that time always comes, does it not?

I am an avid cyclist and carry my bike in the cockpit with a canvas cover. I can take it ashore in the dinghy without problem. I also carry a small rear wheel trainer and set it up on the flybridge or aft deck. I love exploring new areas by bike but I try to avoid busy roads.

I tend to lose weight when on the boat. I think that is because of all the steep stairs and playing engine room Twister.

So do they have the expression, 'runners knee' just for the outliers? Or is it just for 75year olds who take it up for the first time? Ive never even heard of any of old guys doing that.

There is an injury often called runner's knee, it kind of encapsulates a few different things actually. Runners knee is generally a short term injusry, addressed through PT. There is no such thing as "runner's knees." The idea that running is long term any worse for most of our knees than any other activity is an urban myth. Our bodies were made to be used.

Don't take my word for it though, here is a quote and a link. Took me 10 seconds of googling:

Knee and joint pain may be common complaints among runners, but chances are slim that arthritis is the culprit. In fact, multiple studies have shown that regular running strengthens the joints and actually protects against development of osteoarthritis later in life.
“It’s very common for people to say, ‘How do you run? Doesn’t that ruin your knees?’” says Steven Mayer, MD, a physician in physical medicine and rehabilitation at Northwestern Medicine Orthopaedics. “There have been several recent studies that have debunked that myth. In fact, they have shown the opposite — that running tends to be protective of knee arthritis.”

https://www.nm.org/healthbeat/healthy-tips/fitness/is-running-bad-for-your-knees

I'm not suggesting that people with injuries or in the last years of their lives suddenly take up running. And yes, there are many ways to get good exercise. But to say that being a life long runner will lead to problems later in life is foolish. All forms of exercise have risk of injury. No exercise at all may come with the highest risk of all.

I'm 56 years old and run 25 to 40 miles a week. I haven't had a running related injury other than sore/tight muscles in at least 15 years. My son's high school cross country coach was a lifelong runner who influenced hundreds of young men and women. He was still really fit when he died, while running, at 71 years old. He was hit by a drunk driver going 40 mph over the speed limit who fled the scene of the accident. That sort of thing is the most dangerous part of running. He always said "go the extra mile, it's never crowded." I try to live by that philosophy.

Last edited:
Loving Sex :dance::dance: :thumb: :thumb:

And, of course, swimming too!!!

I do P90X which has been around for years (I guess I have been doing it since around 2010 or so.) I find the differing regimens perfect for me.

When I am on the boat, I can continue the exercises, sans pull ups. The hardest part for me is finding the time when I am traveling via boat. So many things to do and see.

This last winter was tough with the lack of getting out and about.

There is an injury often called runner's knee, it kind of encapsulates a few different things actually. Runners knee is generally a short term injusry, addressed through PT. There is no such thing as "runner's knees." The idea that running is long term any worse for most of our knees than any other activity is an urban myth. Our bodies were made to be used.

Don't take my word for it though, here is a quote and a link. Took me 10 seconds of googling:

Knee and joint pain may be common complaints among runners, but chances are slim that arthritis is the culprit. In fact, multiple studies have shown that regular running strengthens the joints and actually protects against development of osteoarthritis later in life.
“It’s very common for people to say, ‘How do you run? Doesn’t that ruin your knees?’” says Steven Mayer, MD, a physician in physical medicine and rehabilitation at Northwestern Medicine Orthopaedics. “There have been several recent studies that have debunked that myth. In fact, they have shown the opposite — that running tends to be protective of knee arthritis.”

https://www.nm.org/healthbeat/healthy-tips/fitness/is-running-bad-for-your-knees

I'm not suggesting that people with injuries or in the last years of their lives suddenly take up running. And yes, there are many ways to get good exercise. But to say that being a life long runner will lead to problems later in life is foolish. All forms of exercise have risk of injury. No exercise at all may come with the highest risk of all.

I'm 56 years old and run 25 to 40 miles a week. I haven't had a running related injury other than sore/tight muscles in at least 15 years. My son's high school cross country coach was a lifelong runner who influenced hundreds of young men and women. He was still really fit when he died, while running, at 71 years old. He was hit by a drunk driver going 40 mph over the speed limit who fled the scene of the accident. That sort of thing is the most dangerous part of running. He always said "go the extra mile, it's never crowded." I try to live by that philosophy.
Foolish? I do not think so. Your time is coming. My friend needs a hip replacement. His only physical activity has ever been running. So, please explain that. His back is also shot. As I said, the human spine is not designed to take 50 years of pounding vertically.

Let's be clear, like I mentioned, most avid runners do not run just for the exercise. There are surely cardio routines that are have less impact on the body. Runners run because they enjoy it. Most sports related activities have related injuries. You can modify running routines to meet your goals, from running a few times a week at a distance and pace that fits you. It's personal, like boating. I have no desire to run a 100 mile marathon or enter an Ironman type race (like your friend). I also have no desire to boat across the ocean. Others do and I respect that.

This thread started out with a couple who does run asking about running activities as a live-a-board. My reply is on a "runner-to-runner" basis.

Our bodies were made to be used.
/QUOTE]

But were our bodies made to last 80 years?

Only took me 1 search to find this online. I'm sure you can search and find both sides of the argument.

A high-impact, high-stress running regimen is associated with a greater risk of joint deterioration, which could lead to osteoarthritis.

Recreational running, however -- running 2-3 times per week at an 8-minute mile pace -- does not increase the risk of developing osteoarthritis.

Scientists do not know exactly how osteoarthritis develops, but damage to the surface of the bone can start a process that leads to joint degeneration.

Last edited:
Let's be clear, like I mentioned, most avid runners do not run just for the exercise. There are surely cardio routines that are have less impact on the body. Runners run because they enjoy it. Most sports related activities have related injuries. You can modify running routines to meet your goals, from running a few times a week at a distance and pace that fits you. It's personal, like boating. I have no desire to run a 100 mile marathon or enter an Ironman type race (like your friend). I also have no desire to boat across the ocean. Others do and I respect that.

This thread started out with a couple who does run asking about running activities as a live-a-board. My reply is on a "runner-to-runner" basis.
Does it really matter why runners run, for exercise or recreation? Running is running and the affects of fanatical, addictive long-distance running exist in either case. In moderation, yes, running may not be harmful in the long run but I was never talking about running in moderation. In any case, all physical activity that tends to repeatedly compress the spine will, to some extent, compress the cervical disks. You can rationalize this any way you want but, in the end, nature will triumph over self-delusion.

So true about trail running. I started last year during Covid. It was (and is) great, really enjoy it. Yet, you have to approach it differently than road running. I got slightly injured just above the ankle (never happened to me on hard surface). After listening to a podcast on trail running I have changed my shoes to higher mm drop, added strength training to the lower calves and stride. All is good. As you said, it does have it rewards, one of them is nature.

Yeah, I had several bad injuries on trail runs. Few on the roads.

Foolish? I do not think so. Your time is coming. My friend needs a hip replacement. His only physical activity has ever been running. So, please explain that. His back is also shot. As I said, the human spine is not designed to take 50 years of pounding vertically.

I’m a former runner with bad knees and a bad back.

The knee problems are from a meniscus tears which were not caused by long distance running. The back issue I believe stems from an injury in a high jump pit back in high school.

I had lots of running over-use injuries, but those were soft tissue injuries resolved by smarter training. My back never bothered me from running, but standing at the helm of my sailboats would cause a lot of pain.

I have arthritis, a genetic gift from my mother. I don’t have any arthritis in my knees. Yet. I’m only 64 years old.

I’m a former runner with bad knees and a bad back.

The knee problems are from a meniscus tears which were not caused by long distance running. The back issue I believe stems from an injury in a high jump pit back in high school.

I had lots of running over-use injuries, but those were soft tissue injuries resolved by smarter training. My back never bothered me from running, but standing at the helm of my sailboats would cause a lot of pain.

I have arthritis, a genetic gift from my mother. I don’t have any arthritis in my knees. Yet. I’m only 64 years old.

Check out the book “Life Span”. It discusses why we age, and what we can successfully do about it. It is very highly thought of in the medical community.

We're getting closer to taking the plunge as liveaboards. As we search for the ideal trawler, trying to figure out how to incorporate exercise/fitness into our trawler plans. Searched the forum but didn't see too much.

She's a fitness nut and avid runner, in addition to weights & yoga. I'm a cyclist, in addition to weights and yoga. Our home set-up is Bowflex dial weights which we love and are easily transportable. We also have a Bowflex machine that we've used a lot and for many years. Folds up nicely but has some height to it. I could easily see my bike on board with a trainer (although I really don't like stationary biking), not sure about the Bowflex machine. Could definitely include kayaks or paddle boards as a good aerobic exercise regime on a trawler. But hoping for insights from this forum as we plot out trawler life knowing that heavy cardio and good strength training need to be part of this also.

Other details- looking at 45-50' trawlers. Focusing on older Kadeys ideally, but also like trunk cabin Defevers- yep very different boats which would give a lot of deck space to some equipment. Other considerations for well founded trawlers that aren't just dock-side condos?

1. For the cyclists- how do you get a bike ashore when at anchor? Or don't you? Not sure about fold-up bikes, as I go 50-70 miles at a pop and sometimes do multi-day rides.

2. Any runners? Treadmills onboard? If so, what type?

3. Other ideas/thoughts on good cardio and strength training? Anyone mounted pull up bars in their trawler?

4. How do you preserve any equipment you have while in a marine environment? Canvas covers? Anything else?

5. What do you do for serious fitness while enjoying trawler life?

Always enjoy the collective wisdom (and humor) of this group and hoping to gain more of it!

Thanks,

Mark & Patty
I reccomend a TRX. Easy to set up, exceptionally compact, and replicates weights, using your body as the weight. Many exercises for every muscle group. Stows in a 4" X 12" bag. Developed by Navy SEAL for deployments. Available on Amazon (What isn't?) Many videos available on YouTube. Here's one:
[emoji569][emoji569][emoji924]

If you suffer from "pounding" from running, well, to borrow a phrase, if it don't feel good you ain't doing it right. Running should not be considered high impact. IF you land your stride on your heels, stop doing that.

Just a reminder that any equipment you install should be bolted down because it will fly around the cabin or deck when it's rough. Just sayin'. :)

If you suffer from "pounding" from running, well, to borrow a phrase, if it don't feel good you ain't doing it right. Running should not be considered high impact. IF you land your stride on your heels, stop doing that.

Agreed. Most folks find they get more efficient as they increase in their fitness. However, I found that some specific training improved my stride efficiency. This not only made me faster, but resulted in a smoother stride.

No matter how efficient the stride, there will be some compression of the spine with each stride. You folks are all dreaming (rationalizing, wishful-thinking). Doing that for fifty years, ten miles a day, that adds up to a big number. So yeah, keep running your brains out. When you reach 75yo, tell youself your back problems had nothing to do with running.

By the way, running two hours a day for fifty years consumes six years, SIX YEARS, of a person' awake life, mindless and boring to boot.

I carry a lightish road bike with stout wheels and touring tires. No issues with running it back and forth to shore in my 11' open RIB. I do it often.

Stay on top of lubrication and cleaning, especially if you store it outside.

You'll learn pretty quickly that space is at a premium. I've thought about resistance training aboard, and think there's lots that can be done without bulky equipment.

I had a health club membership with a large chain a few years ago, and used them while a semi-transient liveaboard. That may be another option.

No matter how efficient the stride, there will be some compression of the spine with each stride. You folks are all dreaming (rationalizing, wishful-thinking). Doing that for fifty years, ten miles a day, that adds up to a big number. So yeah, keep running your brains out. When you reach 75yo, tell youself your back problems had nothing to do with running.

By the way, running two hours a day for fifty years consumes six years, SIX YEARS, of a person' awake life, mindless and boring to boot.

Exactly....they're just rationalizing something they LIKE to do.

..... Doing that for fifty years, ten miles a day, that adds up to a big number...... running two hours a day for fifty years

That is a ridiculous statement. No one runs 10 miles per day or two hours per day every day for 50 years. Even ultra competitive, Olympic class runners don't do that.

Average American spends nine years watching television in their life, presumably with their ass glued to a couch performing occasional one-armed beverage lifts, so I'm ok with running for six.

Last edited:
That is a ridiculous statement. No one runs 10 miles per day or two hours per day every day for 50 years. Even ultra competitive, Olympic class runners don't do that.
Okay, then, half that. Three years of life pounding the pavement. You are delusional.

Average American spends nine years watching television in their life, presumably with their ass glued to a couch performing occasional one-armed beverage lifts, so I'm ok with running for six.
Good for you. Meanwhile I am enjoying the telly and you're pounding the pavement all the while silly-assed bored. What fun.

And by the way, that's pretty much how much my dear friend ran for fifty years. He doesn't run anymore cuz he can't. My goodness, he ran the Death Valley 129-mile ultra marathon, TWICE! He is paying the price now. He is 71yo and has difficulty even getting out of a chair all, ALL, the result of excessive running. So, yeah, continue to delude yourself. The bill will come later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom