Evinrude closing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully the aftermarket will keep parts available for decades.

Nearly 24 hours and only one response: maybe that why they are closing? Not many seem to care.......

Hills,
Old brand outboards are “oldschool”.

If the thread had been about a new electric OB there’d be 15 posts eagerly asking questions looking for information and details.
In w the new .. out w the old.

I seem to recall BRP announcing this about a year ago. The closure was expected which drove sales into the dirt, not Covid. Covid has created record sales for the boating industry, at least in my area. My first boat as a five year old had an Evinrude duck twin engine in a beautiful brown color. I think it was a 3 horse, but I am not certain. It was mounted on a Grumman 10 foot pram looking boat. I rowed it alone just off shore until I was seven and was allowed to use the motor alone at the same time as long as my family was on the beach. I ran up and down the Canadian shore of Lake Huron all day long. 75 yards in either direction and twenty yards from shore.:)

It is a sad day to see Evinrude closing. In my experience their Evinrude E tec motors were some of the best on the market, lasting up to 4000 hours. I had a pair of 150's on a 24' Rabalo fishing boat and they were fuel efficient and performed well. Loved them.

I had a 40hp twin in Alaska that was perfect.

I seem to recall BRP announcing this about a year ago. The closure was expected which drove sales into the dirt, not Covid.

Yeah this was posted awhile back. I had a 250hp with a pump on my riverboat. Sad to see.

The date on OP's magazine article is May 2020. Old news.

Not yet that I am aware of. It appears that BRP has contracted with Mercury to provide engines for their boat companies, which I would presume they would have held back for anyone purchasing Evinrude as an incentive. BRP makes great snowmobiles. Interestingly, Arctic Cat is nearly gone and Yamaha seems to be pulling back as well. Polaris and Ski Doo are the only high volume snowmobile manufacturers these days. Ski Doo/BRP seems to be drawing back some on their HPDI 2 strokes and favoring their 600 and 900 4 stroke models. They did introduce a new base level 2 stroke EFI engine this year to replace all of their entry level engines (550 fan, 600 carb, etc). A global entry engine. I expect they will only keep the their high performance 2 strokes for a while longer.

Also, Seven, the V8 outboard manufacturer that uses the GM LS motor is also going out of business. I never understood that business model. Once they sold their initial motors to the people who could afford them, there was no one left to purchase them. Maybe it was a planned short term market and then out?

I thought that somebody picked up Evinrude.

Not yet that I am aware of. It appears that BRP has contracted with Mercury to provide engines for their boat companies, which I would presume they would have held back for anyone purchasing Evinrude as an incentive. BRP makes great snowmobiles. Interestingly, Arctic Cat is nearly gone and Yamaha seems to be pulling back as well. Polaris and Ski Doo are the only high volume snowmobile manufacturers these days. Ski Doo/BRP seems to be drawing back some on their HPDI 2 strokes and favoring their 600 and 900 4 stroke models. They did introduce a new base level 2 stroke EFI engine this year to replace all of their entry level engines (550 fan, 600 carb, etc). A global entry engine. I expect they will only keep the their high performance 2 strokes for a while longer.

Also, Seven, the V8 outboard manufacturer that uses the GM LS motor is also going out of business. I never understood that business model. Once they sold their initial motors to the people who could afford them, there was no one left to purchase them. Maybe it was a planned short term market and then out?

Didn’t 7marine get bought by Volvo?

First Johnson sunk... Now Evinrude goes blob, blub, blub!

Tic Tock, Tic Tock, Tic Tock. Time keeps on slipping, slipping into the future!

We have a really nice condition 1975, Johnson, 50 hp, loop charged, 2 cycle outboard on our 1975 14'8" Crestliner tow behind runabout.

Attachments

• DSCN1954.jpg
    DSCN1954.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN1955.jpg
    DSCN1955.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN1959.jpg
    DSCN1959.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN1961.jpg
    DSCN1961.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 19
The old evinrude 2-stroke were/are bullet proof. Install a pump, center console, 16ft Lowe boat and you have the best Alaska hunting/fishing boat in the world.

Volvo Penta to stop the sales and production of Seven Marine engines

“Originally Posted by kchace View Post: Didn’t 7marine get bought by Volvo?”

https://boatingindustry.com/news/20...sales-and-production-of-seven-marine-engines/

Volvo Penta has announced the company will put its outboard development on hold, and plans to stop the sales and marketing of Seven Marine engines from January 1st, 2021, as well as phase out production once customer demand is met.
The company said in a statement they will, however, continue to support the current outboard customer base by taking full warranty and parts responsibility for the products that are in the field.
“We want to send a clear message,” says President of Volvo Penta, Heléne Mellquist. “Volvo Penta does foresee that the outboard segment will continue to be relevant for the Marine Leisure market, but we believe that the indisputable need to drive advancements in sustainable technology must be our main focus. This is why, for the time being, the exploration of new technology together with the development of our core business, such as Volvo Penta IPS and sterndrives, will be the center of our efforts.”
They believe in the greater fuel efficiency and zero emissions available through hybrid, electric, and renewable fuels as the new direction.
The Volvo Group also recently announced the ambition to be a net-zero emissions company by 2050, at the very latest.
Adds Mellquist, "Volvo Penta welcomes this increased focus across the Volvo Group. We will support these objectives by intensifying our ongoing efforts and resources towards continued development of sustainable solutions.”

I also had good luck with Evinrude over the years. Owned a couple smaller ones. Also powered a 27' sailboat with one for many years. Can't say I'm a fan of 4 cycle outboards as much as I would like to be.

How much for your boat?

Hello

Noticed your post for your boat
Still available?
Were are you located?
How much?
Thanks
Joe

First Johnson sunk... Now Evinrude goes blob, blub, blub!

Tic Tock, Tic Tock, Tic Tock. Time keeps on slipping, slipping into the future!

We have a really nice condition 1975, Johnson, 50 hp, loop charged, 2 cycle outboard on our 1975 14'8" Crestliner tow behind runabout.
How much for your boat?

Evinrude

So sad to hear. I've had Evinrude's up to 200hp for most of my life. Never had a bad one.
https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/tech/evinrude-outboards-will-be-retired

I’m surprised to hear the positive comments re Evinrude. My experience with Johnson/Evinrude/Mercury/Force has been horrendous, as has the experience of friends who had them. I had a Honda 75 that went 20 years with nothing but annual maintenance. Anecdotal evidence notwithstanding, if Evinrude had made a quality product, they would still be in business. John Griviscus on ShipShape TV had Evinrude ETecs on his boat and advertised for them one season. The next season he switched to Yamahas and stated that he just couldn’t keep the ETecs running. He rarely speaks poorly of a Marine product but he had nothing good to say about those engines. The fact is, they just didn’t measure up to The quality of the competition.

Last edited:
We have a 1994 Johnson Ocean Runner, 200 HP, on our 1990 22 center console Mako (it replaced a Yamaha that burned itself up when the water pump died, and no warning lights or auto stop came on).

It has never been rebuilt, has only had the carbs cleaned and serviced once, replaced the thermostats and impellers once, and it still cranks on the first try every time, and runs like a champ.

We did disconnect the VRO a few years ago and start running it on pre-mix because I just couldn't bear the thought of this great engine being destroyed by a bad oil/gas mix problem. The funny thing is, it smokes a lot less since then, making me suspect the VRO was set to over oil it, out of caution. And, we change the spark plugs every two years.

It still had factory compression about eight years ago, when it was checked when the carbs were being cleaned and serviced.

On the negative side, the gas mileage has never been anything to brag about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art
Loved my Etec

I had an etec 115, by far the best outboard I've ever owner and the newer recent etec generation just got better.

Sad day, by far etecs were the best on the market for ecconomy, weight, out of the hole performance and in the last year offered a 10 year warranty.

And now theres a boating market boom, shame on you bombarbier

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom