Ever wish the boat was smaller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsea

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kia Orana
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
I am looking for input. Do you ever wish you had bought a smaller boat? Do you ever wish for a less complex boat? My wife prefers smaller. We have 2 adult children and expect grandkids in the future. She is concerned about slip availability. She is concerned about the ability to maneuver in marinas and get into out of the way anchorages. Our last boat was a 30' twin engine. We have chartered a Bayliner 4788, a 48' Californian and a bunch of sailboats (various sizes) with no problems at all. We initially plan to use the boat on the west coast and PNW for 4-5 years then possibly truck it to the great loop for a multi year adventure there. I am kind of a buy and hold guy. I like to buy something nice and take care of it in a pride of ownership way. We have done a fair amount of looking at different boats, styles and sizes. We have kind of settled on a Bayliner 45/47 layout (my preference and truckable) or "Europa" type layout like a Mainship 40 (her preference because of smaller size, also truckable but more complicated) She really likes the Nordic Tug 37 with flybridge but its too pricey and I think it is too small. We both want a boat that will run well at trawler speeds but have the ability to pick up speed if need be. Care to share your thoughts?

No, not ever. a boat may seem complex dorm the beginning but the key is to spend time digging and playing with all the various systems to get a feel and idea what they do. N4712 seemed complex from the start but after messing with the various systems and digging through wire and just studying everything I could tell you where every hose/wire/conduit/etc goes and connects to. It's just a matter of time. IMHO. BTW Welcome aboard!:thumb::)

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

th

Sure ...

Every time I pay my moorage.

I'm sure I could get there...but on my budgets...never. Each and every liveaboard could have been a few feet longer or have a few upgrades to pretty old systems.

Then again...my thoughts have been always buy smaller less complex than you think you need...except if you liveaboard or are retired and really planning on using the boat.

We have done a fair amount of looking at different boats, styles and sizes. We have kind of settled on a Bayliner 45/47 layout (my preference and truckable) or "Europa" type layout like a Mainship 40 (her preference because of smaller size, also truckable but more complicated) She really likes the Nordic Tug 37 with flybridge but its too pricey and I think it is too small. We both want a boat that will run well at trawler speeds but have the ability to pick up speed if need be. Care to share your thoughts?

Yes, the Bayliner 47 is a fantastic boat for what you are planning, but I'm biased. :)

I am in the exact same situation. I bought my 4788 to cruise, and have outfitted it for independant operation.

It is not the perfect boat for anything. but it is very good at almost everything you could ask of a coastal cruiser.

Last edited:
Only at the fuel dock!

That's why you get a "Trawler". ;)

At six knots, one can get something like 4 miles per gallon ("your mileage may vary").

Last edited:
The only times I have ever thought that it would be nice if it was smaller is when I am anti fouling the bottom.
As soon as I am back at sea and 100 mile off the coast I some times wish it was bigger but never smaller.
all in all I am very happy with the boat I have.
cheers
Benn

To answer the OP, no, we never do. But that really has no benefit to you as we all use boats differently and have different likes and dislikes.

Larger is more comfortable. Generally more sea worthy

However, larger may use more fuel and will definitely be more expensive to dock. You mentioned shipping and obviously the larger would be more expensive to transport.

As to handling. I don't really think within the range of sizes you're considering it's a major consideration. Docking isn't much different. Yes the smaller size will fit more places but in docking it may actually be easier as it's not blown as quickly or harshly.

But it's your intended use, and what you're comfortable with. If we only used the boat a few times a year, never stayed on it, used it on lakes or protected waters, we'd go smaller.

At the other extreme if we were going to live aboard and cruise heavily we'd go larger.

As you look think of what you like about each boat, but also think about what you don't like and what things could be deal breakers. For one person twin engines or single engines might kill the deal, for another it might be the size of the galley or whether it's up or down. For us, if we were going to cruise and spend nights, a flybridge is essential on our list as it increases the usable space and the outdoors. It's like adding 10 or 15' because that's what you're doing. But if you face height clearance issues, then that's a problem. For the loop make sure it comes in under 19'1".

Actually your list of negatives, of deal killers will help to narrow things considerably.

We cruise a lot, spend a lot of time on a boat, and we want space. But that isn't you. You have to decide the keys to you.

No, not smaller. Not a lot bigger either, but who doesn't wish they had a foot more here and a foot more there?

Any boat is a compromise. Find what works for you.

Thanks for the input! Part of her trepidation comes from some feedback we got at an AGLCA rendezvous we attended. Two people told her to get the smallest boat that she could be comfortable on. They felt that a 45-50' boat would limit where you could go/stay. One of her other points is guests are only on the boat 10-20% of the time. During those times we can just make other arrangements like stay in a marina with a hotel close by. That seems awe fully limiting to me.

As a live aboard no as it has all the comforts of a land home. Away from the dock again no, as it has the displacement, stability, tanks and range for any type of cruising we might do. Arriving and departing form the dock, - some times as docking a 58 ft and 40+ tons can be daunting and a hell of a pucker factor. Finding moorage and cost, yes as slips for a 60 ft are limited and costly. So over all NO.

Most winters require one to two weeks with no water, sanitation and some time days with no power. The Eagle has 400 gallons of water, 50 gallon sanitation tank, two gen sets, a Webasto diesel boiler heating with 600 gallons of fuel. So we can be self sustaining for maybe up to one month down to 0 F with the marina frozen solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
..... people told her to get the smallest boat that she could be comfortable on. They felt that a 45-50' boat would limit where you could go/stay. ...guests are only on the boat 10-20% of the time......

Add to that the fact that slip fees and haul-outs are by the foot. I assume that money is not an issue or you wouldn't be looking for a 45-50' boat. So, lets get past here and look at why you should get what you think you need.

If you are going to do a lot of boating especially over-nighters, then generally bigger is better. I was originally was looking at 42-44 footers. Every time we looked at one, I would ask the admiral if you would like driving it she would reluctantly say "yes, no problem". Then we remembered looking at a 36 footer once and she kept bringing it up. I finally realized that she was intimidated by the larger boats. So, we bought a 36 footer. It would have been nicer to get a larger boat but the 36 is fine for our needs. So far we have come almost 600 miles form our origin in a really bad winter and all is still good. So in my particular case it worked out great which does not mean it would for you.

Buying a boat is a major ordeal. Both parties have to be happy with it. Since you have already chartered larger boats, your decision making should be easier because you have both experienced them. I am just relating my particular experience which is relevant to only me and the admiral. Your decision should be made by both of you and don't put too much into the advise of others. Unless you know some of these people really well, you might be taking advise from dock queens or from those that cant afford bigger. Listen to all, but go with your own instincts.

I was shopping for a little bigger boat a while back but now that I'm not in the land of cheap federally provided moorage I'll just keep my little 30' boat. Even though I do like long and narrow now I'd rather my 10.5' wide Willard was 12' wide. But Willy isn't really narrow as is.

Relative to size I'd like to have the wide body Willard ... the Voyager. Look how much space is lost (pics) w those side decks.

Another thought is that if I had a boat that was 100% OK being left out on the weather I could get a 36'. There was a 36' boat both Chris and I really liked.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 421 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 421 copy.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 108
  • all to 12-15-09 426 copy 3.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 426 copy 3.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 97
Thanks for the input! Part of her trepidation comes from some feedback we got at an AGLCA rendezvous we attended. Two people told her to get the smallest boat that she could be comfortable on. They felt that a 45-50' boat would limit where you could go/stay. One of her other points is guests are only on the boat 10-20% of the time. During those times we can just make other arrangements like stay in a marina with a hotel close by. That seems awe fully limiting to me.

That is always interesting to hear those with various sized boats talk about the difficulty in where you can go and stay. Up to the 50 and 60 foot ranges, that just isn't an issue as long as your draft isn't excessive. What you have to pay is but not where you can do it. Funny thing is 35' owners warn against going over 40', 55' owners warn against going over 60', 60' owners warn against 80' and 80' owners warn against 100'. Yes, at each level a few marinas fall by the wayside but most areas have one larger marina with greater capability and at 50' boat just isn't going to limit you.

I'm planning on doing the loop in a couple of years and had that in mind when purchasing this boat. Regarding size, draft (full fuel, water, and all that crap you're bringing & the crap you will buy along the way) and air draft (bridge clearance with or without a mast and other removable items on top) are likely bigger constraints than LOA and Beam. Regarding guests, I have friends (know that's hard to believe) who might join us for a few days to a week. Cruising with friends for a long weekend is great fun........ as long as you aren't constantly rubbing elbows.

Ted

Relative to size I'd like to have the wide body Willard ... the Voyager. Look how much space is lost (pics) w those side decks.

Tankage is under my decks, so there is little loss of living room. Love my wide 360-degree decks. (I don't want a smaller boat.)

232323232%7Ffp73475%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A66733336nu0mrj

Last edited:
It seems here on the east coast, the 40-50 foot range is the most popular. Enough room for two long term, can be single-handed somewhat, not too expensive to operate and maintain.

Boats bigger than that seem to be purchased to support egos. Lots of these seem to sit, being such a PITA to get under way and operate.

I've cruised long term on my 38x(kinda skinny)12'. Two can be comfortable for long term coastal cruising with stops every few days, up to a week, to replenish. Cruised a week with four and that was crowded.

I think I'd counter that with a suggestion to get the biggest boat that you're comfortable with that will do The Loop.

That's a long time to spend with little elbow room, in each other's face all the time... since even wonderful relationships often benefit from some quiet time.

A secondary suggestion is to have the most minimal guest accommodations as possible, if you need them at all.

And it's also slightly possible that the larger boat without too many additional systems just may give you better access to maintain or repair/replace stuff as necessary.

FWIW, or boat is nominally 42' but we carry a dinghy aft so our true LOA is about 49' -- and finding slips has not been a problem.

Now about that cost thing... well, can't advise, there.

-Chris

Last edited:
It seems here on the east coast, the 40-50 foot range is the most popular. Enough room for two long term, can be single-handed somewhat, not too expensive to operate and maintain.

Boats bigger than that seem to be purchased to support egos. Lots of these seem to sit, being such a PITA to get under way and operate.

I've cruised long term on my 38x(kinda skinny)12'. Two can be comfortable for long term coastal cruising with stops every few days, up to a week, to replenish. Cruised a week with four and that was crowded.

While there are some larger boats purchased for ego purposes and sitting, I think there is a much more common problem often overlooked. Many are purchased with intent of use and because the purchaser really desires using them. However, they're purchased by those still working, often executives as you get larger. And, then it speaks directly to our lifestyle and business expectations in this country. Executives and managers in business don't get much time off. They work weekends. They cut vacations short. They don't get extended time. And just making time to use the boat becomes difficult plus by that point they're tired and not willing to go through much effort to do anything. And if you seldom use the boat and it is just sitting, then each trip will be less fun as you'll arrive and have to deal with the issues of non-use. We work the most days and hours per year of any major country.

So, as you look at the boats sitting unused, consider for a moment that there may be other reasons than what you suspected.

While there are some larger boats purchased for ego purposes and sitting, I think there is a much more common problem often overlooked. Many are purchased with intent of use and because the purchaser really desires using them. However, they're purchased by those still working, often executives as you get larger. And, then it speaks directly to our lifestyle and business expectations in this country. Executives and managers in business don't get much time off. They work weekends. They cut vacations short. They don't get extended time. And just making time to use the boat becomes difficult plus by that point they're tired and not willing to go through much effort to do anything. And if you seldom use the boat and it is just sitting, then each trip will be less fun as you'll arrive and have to deal with the issues of non-use. We work the most days and hours per year of any major country.

So, as you look at the boats sitting unused, consider for a moment that there may be other reasons than what you suspected.

Great post!!!

People that have funds to buy things like large boats typically earn that money through long hours at the office!

We went from 54 to 36. I like the smaller sized boat most of the time, except when I have to go into the engine room--I just don't crouch and turn like I used to

I do think Skipper Bob's maxime for buying a full time cruiser(and really any boat for that matter) is one of the best n boating: "Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, buy the biggest boat you can be comfortable in". That is a very personal decision. We came to after having chartered many different sizes and configurations over the course of several years. "Comfortable" covers more than creature comforts: operating and servicing ergonomics, sea keeping capability, etc, all laid against the base line of the crew's skill levels and seamanship. What proved wonderful and perfect for us would not be perfect for many people on a number of different counts. Now that we are done with the full time cruising and living aboard, and only want something for weekend day beach trips and puttering around, our beloved 13' Whaler (former dinghy) fits the bill, but will likely be stepped up to something in the low 20's once we have done our land-based adventures over the next 2 or 3 years.

I am looking for input. Do you ever wish you had bought a smaller boat?

Do you ever wish for a less complex boat?

Nope,

and nope.

I like small and simple, and that is what I have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom