Old 03-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Dot Calm
Ever heard of ben's dinghy popper?

i am new to trawlers and have been seeking an inexpensive way to mount my dinghy other than pulling it behind me

I read someone's post who also owns a 32' Island Gypsy. Mine is a 1982 Sedan model and the poster has a much new Europa model. Very nice.

She posted about how they keep their dinghy on the stern using "Ben's Dinghy Popper." I looked it up on Google but no luck.

I've attached the picture she included of this Dingy Popper.

Does anyone know how much these cost and where to find them? I'm sure they have another name.

Also, can you leave the dinghy in this while underway or must it be stored topside?

I have a stabilizer sail mast but the mast has some rot and I don't trust the integrity of the wood. Of course I will eventually fix this and perhaps extend the post out so I can use it as a hoist for the dinghy and it will be long enough to extend into the water.

Like I said, I am knew to trawlers and never needed a dinghy with my smaller boats. Just looking for some guidance without having to spend thousands to mount the dingy.
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_DINGHY Popper.jpg  
Monk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
A similar idea is the Hurley Dinghy Davit. They are around the $1000 mark.

Hurley Traditional Dinghy Davit System - Hurley Marine

I'd say either would be ok to leave in place underway, as long as you don't have a big following sea. It might be worth an extra tie down line just to be sure.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #3

City: Bradenton, FL
Vessel Name: OPTIMYSTIQUE
Vessel Model: Mariner 40
I saw that 'Ben's dinghy popper' as well and am interested to see what it is all about.
I am presently looking at Hurley davits and Trick davits that work in similar ways.
Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

City: Bohemia
Dinghy

I chose to invest in a good inflator with a "roll up" dink. I lay the dink out over the stern and turn on the genny (or invertor) and my $100 inflator can inflate the dink is 60 seconds. (it's 110v) I have a hand held to make adjustments to the tubes. When I leave, I do it in reverse and store the dink down below. I hate to leave the dink out in the sun, so I feel better this way. I get back to the dock, I usually unfold it again and wash it down. I use a lift for the engine. Garhaurer ($179.00), I like the Garhaurer.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote