Espresso Machines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of my taste buds were removed surgically (but, that's another story)
I use a MrCoffee maker. Rounded scoops coffee coffee grounds (what's ever on sale) for 12 cups, use 10 cups of water, spoon of sugar and canned milk. (learned about canned milk when I worked in logging camps but, that too is another story)
Day old? That is why microwave ovens were invented.
Yea yea, I know, I have no taste and I have been told I have no class too.
Do I look like I care? Not one bit.
When on subs, battle stations.... only shut the main pot off once. But, we had a coffee pot in the engine room.
I left my work boots there when changing crews. Came back, no boots. 1/2 through the patrol when the mess cooks cleaned the coffee pot, they found a pair of work boots. LOL

Well said OldDan,

Sure could use your to-the-point logic over on the autopilot vs radar thread ;)

Pete

So true. The coffee maker on a Los Angeles class submarine is wired to the vital electrical bus. Everything else around it will lose power, but not the coffee pot.
The old man used to tell a coffee story from his WW2 days in the Navy. He was an electronics tech (radar and such) and had a pretty good side-gig going fixing car radios. As you can imagine, tubes in car radios meant from on-going problems. Well, fixing the commanders wives car radios apparently earned him some 'extras' with the quartermaster. So it was his job to go pick up the stuff to collect on the favors.

Well, some new recruit comes along and while Dad was aloft fixing something in a plane, the guy figures he'll step-up and earn some brownie points. Captain (or whatever rank, I can't recall the specifics and Dad's long-gone) came into the room and looked at the paltry amount of supplies and was livid. Eventually ending his tirade with "NOBODY BUT THE SPOOK GETS THE COFFEE!" As spook was the slang for the electronics guys, with their 'tangled as-hole" shoulder patch, unlike a regular 'sparky'.

Personally I think he retold the tale just so he could work 'spook' and 'tangled as-hole' into a conversation. Still, he was pretty funny telling it. The Irish do seem to have a flair for that sort of thing.

Well said OldDan,

Sure could use your to-the-point logic over on the autopilot vs radar thread ;)

Pete

When we brought the N46 down from Long Island, I favored the autopilot when outside.
We did have a very old but very workable CRT RADAR too.
On a long outside trip, perhaps the auto pilot and good eyes to watch for targets.
Personally, I like both.

Last edited:
+1 on the Breville Barista Express
I haven't moved mine on board the new boat yet, but I've been using it in the house for three years and it produces excellent shots, as well as great steamed milk.
Breville is an Aussie company,but its products are made in China, our wage structure inhibits manufacture here. Wonder if the imports go from China>Oz>USA to avoid tariffs. Glad it makes good coffee.

+1 on the Breville Barista Express
I haven't moved mine on board the new boat yet, but I've been using it in the house for three years and it produces excellent shots, as well as great steamed milk.

What are the actual dimensions of Breville unit? I've got 'some' space on my galley counter, presently occupied by a Keurig unit (which makes disappointing coffee). The limiting factor is a 10" height in the back due to the built-in shelf that's back there. The microwave is about 1/16" too tall to fit, but I shaved down the rubber feet and jammed it in there.

Attachments

• galley aft shelves.jpg
    galley aft shelves.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20180525_121029.jpg
    20180525_121029.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 52
I have Nespresso machines on all my boats, and I carry a spare if I am cruising, because I don’t function before I have had at least 2 Espressos. I use the Ristretto pod, which is the strongest in the classic line. Pods are much easier than dealing with real coffee, no spills, and last forever. Additionally, you can go from hi test to decaf in 30 seconds.
Best,
Maldwin

Plus one on the true sine wave inverter. I found out the hard way in an antique wooden Friendship Sloop I had refit one Winter. Spent my first night aboard in Maine, tried to fire up the Nespresso machine when I woke up, no Joy. For me, that was almost as bad as a sinking!
Best,
Maldwin

This high pressure (lots of crema) espresso machine has been working onboard for about 15yrs. ...... Until yesterday when it died :(

Sadly it appears they are no longer in production.

That was such a slick installation. Very cool.

What? I can’t hear you over my milk steamer. ;)

This was literally the first thing we moved onboard. Love it and so glad to see others who understand that coffee fuels everything else!

View attachment 97646

I have that same machine at home and love it. Have not been able to find an auto machine that is small enough for my boat yet, so have been struggling with a French Press. It’s OK woth the right coffee, but I sure miss my morning latte.

I've had a Jura S9 at home for ages, but it's beastly large. I'd love to find something similar but small enough to fit on the boat. The hassle is I don't have anywhere on-board tall/deep enough to fit most machines I've seen.

Attachments

• Jura S9.jpg
    Jura S9.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 47
Have a Jura Ena Micro 90, very compact and makes a good espresso.

What are the actual dimensions of Breville unit? I've got 'some' space on my galley counter, presently occupied by a Keurig unit (which makes disappointing coffee). The limiting factor is a 10" height in the back due to the built-in shelf that's back there. The microwave is about 1/16" too tall to fit, but I shaved down the rubber feet and jammed it in there.

12.5" wide by 12.5" deep by 16" high. You'll need some wiggle room behind and above to remove the water reservoir and fill the bean hopper accordingly. Ours sits on a 14" deep by 19" high counter in the galley and it's just fine.

We love ours. Had the smaller one at the house but when we moved aboard I knew I wanted the Breville with the integrated grinder. Couldn't be easier, grinds right into the Portafilter, you tamp it, lock it and boom!

Have a Jura Ena Micro 90, very compact and makes a good espresso.
While I love the Jura S9 we've got, there are some concerns about how to clean it internally. Some superautomatics are better than others at allowing access to the internal brew group for cleaning. Jura is not known for this, unfortunately, requiring a near complete tear-down to clean the internals. For the infrequent use on boat, with humidity and temp swings, I'd want an easier way to make sure it's not getting funky inside the brew group.

12.5" wide by 12.5" deep by 16" high. You'll need some wiggle room behind and above to remove the water reservoir and fill the bean hopper accordingly. Ours sits on a 14" deep by 19" high counter in the galley and it's just fine.

We love ours. Had the smaller one at the house but when we moved aboard I knew I wanted the Breville with the integrated grinder. Couldn't be easier, grinds right into the Portafilter, you tamp it, lock it and boom!

Thanks for the specs.

It's nice having everything done by the machine. Tamping and cleaning the portafilter makes for extra steps.

While I know how to do this, it's not just me that'd be using the machine. That is, anything that requires extra steps basically means I'm the one that's going to get stuck doing those extra steps.

There are grinders that have a portafilter bracket on them, or can at least handle depositing the grounds straight into one. But then that's another piece of equipment fighting for counter space (and maintenance).

While I love the Jura S9 we've got, there are some concerns about how to clean it internally. Some superautomatics are better than others at allowing access to the internal brew group for cleaning. Jura is not known for this, unfortunately, requiring a near complete tear-down to clean the internals. For the infrequent use on boat, with humidity and temp swings, I'd want an easier way to make sure it's not getting funky inside the brew group.

Yes I had a Jura S9 at home but when it wore out I replaced it with a Gaggia which is super easier to clean the internals. I hear you on the Jura but we regularly use the boat and clean it regularly. Not that difficult to tear down and ensure the internals stay clean. If you are only using the boat occasionally probably better with a pod style or a manual expresso.

I’ve been running a delonghi magnifica for 2-1/2 years on a 17 year old Trace modified square wave inverter without electrical problems. It does burn a ton of power though, even standing by, but makes a great drink. Milk foaming is manual. Seattle coffee gear was selling a very nice Miele machine at a great price, $1099 I think, last week. I was tempted by the built in milk system, but couldn’t come up with a compelling case for the admiral.

If it is hot, filled with caffeine sugar and canned milk, I am happy.
On my boat, open counter food preparation space is more important than the perfect cup of coffee. LOL

Last edited:
Milk in coffee is an anathema to me. Give me a double espresso, maybe some hot water on the side.
Most espresso machines need descaling/cleaning regularly to keep making good coffee.Though I`ve seen DIY ones in hotels which go offline while they clean themselves.

Yes I had a Jura S9 at home but when it wore out I replaced it with a Gaggia which is super easier to clean the internals. I hear you on the Jura but we regularly use the boat and clean it regularly. Not that difficult to tear down and ensure the internals stay clean. If you are only using the boat occasionally probably better with a pod style or a manual expresso.
Which Gaggia model?

Using a manual Espresso machine isn't difficult but it brings more work (for me, as it would end up). Pods are easier but make weaker coffee than I can tolerate, and result in excess trash.

I hear there's a shop up near Philly that handles repairing/reconditioning the Jura units. I'm thinking of picking up a new machine for the boat and using it at home over the winter while the S9 gets serviced. The trick is wading through all the options and trying to find dimensions. I'm well acquainted with the notion of "good, fast, cheap... pick two" and am prepared for sticker shock.

Which Gaggia model?

Using a manual Espresso machine isn't difficult but it brings more work (for me, as it would end up). Pods are easier but make weaker coffee than I can tolerate, and result in excess trash.

I hear there's a shop up near Philly that handles repairing/reconditioning the Jura units. I'm thinking of picking up a new machine for the boat and using it at home over the winter while the S9 gets serviced. The trick is wading through all the options and trying to find dimensions. I'm well acquainted with the notion of "good, fast, cheap... pick two" and am prepared for sticker shock.

I have the Gaggia Anima Prestige, a fraction of the cost of the prior S9 and IMHO makes as good of an espresso. The Gaggia brewing unit is super easy to remove and clean. The Jura probably has more bells and whistles but 99% of the time I’m only making espresso so couldn’t justify buying another Jura. My last Jura was 12 yrs old and still going strong but needed to get rid of it as I was returning from overseas and it was a 220v version.

At www.partsguru.com you can get all coffee maker parts and they do repairs also.

If it is hot, filled with caffeine sugar and canned milk, I am happy.
On my boat, open counter food preparation space is more important than the perfect cup of coffee. LOL

Thanks, Dan. I was feeling pretty inadequate reading this thread. I run with Cool-Brew, water, and a microwave.

We thought we were doing great with a drip cuisinart, but I'm good with a cup from the closest pick and run.

espresso:

I have an Olympia Espresso machine, works great using the Xantrex. No problems.

It's a Nespresso machine for us. Runs off the inverter (as does everything). The Nespresso is the primary machine. Back up is an old school press. Both work extremely well, but just can't beat the ease and repeatability of the Nespresso.

Attachments

• IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 34
Onboard we use two different stove-top espresso makers (4-cup and 6-cup), depending on how many "cups" we want; similar to the ones in this link:
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bialetti-Moka-Express-Stovetop/dp/B0000CF3Q6

At home we have a DiLonghi (https://www.delonghi.com/en-us/prod...rs/manual-espresso/dedica-ec-680mb-0132106100) which should work on a boat's 110 volt system (don't think it would make any difference whether sine or mod-sine wave).

Curious what if any of you are using for espresso machines onboard. I forget where I had read but something about boat electrical and these machines not playing well together.

Any tips?

We got the best hand bur grinder we could find I forget brand but it was like $40. And then we use the ROK espresso device. This was we can heat water in a kettle on propane and not need the genset. Also, just heat milk for lattes on the burner in a bot and use a hand frother. It takes more energy but works great and makes amazing lattes.

Curious what if any of you are using for espresso machines onboard. I forget where I had read but something about boat electrical and these machines not playing well together.

Any tips?

We have had a Saeco espresso machine and a Nespresso foamer on board our Marlow (and our Selene before that) making beverages multiple times per day for the last ten years.

No problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom