Old 12-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Bailey
Vessel Model: 46' Grand Banks Motor Yacht
Espresso Machines

Curious what if any of you are using for espresso machines onboard. I forget where I had read but something about boat electrical and these machines not playing well together.

Any tips?
stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy View Post
Curious what if any of you are using for espresso machines onboard. I forget where I had read but something about boat electrical and these machines not playing well together.

Any tips?
Are you referring to the Nespresso machines? If so, they need to be used on pure sine wave inverters. Their electronics don't live long on a modified sine wave inverter. I've been using one for several years through my inverter without issue.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
The coffee made from pods is terrible compared to, well, just about anything else. We've had both Nespresso and Keurig and they pale in comparison to a decent superautomatic machine (takes whole beans, grinds them for each cup). Trouble is it's difficult to find a decent super that'll fit in most boat galley areas.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Are you referring to the Nespresso machines? If so, they need to be used on pure sine wave inverters. Their electronics don't live long on a modified sine wave inverter. I've been using one for several years through my inverter without issue.

Ted
No specifically. The missus would love to have a true espresso machine onboard but will make whatever work. She'll drink drip coffee as long as theirs Bailey's in it!! I'm not as picky. As long as it's hot and black I'm good with it.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
No specifically. The missus would love to have a true espresso machine onboard but will make whatever work. She'll drink drip coffee as long as theirs Bailey's in it!! I'm not as picky. As long as it's hot and black I'm good with it.
I would say that the information I gave relative to pure sine wave inverters is relevant to any coffee maker with any electronics other than just a heating element.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: B
Vessel Name: Sugar
Vessel Model: Vripack
It sure makes the night watches better. I would go with a superautomatic if ours goes. That would free up some counter space. You defiantly want to put a filter on the water inlet and make sure you de-lime/descale the machine as directed by the manufacturer. Note that our boat is Euro electric and the 220/230v machines work more efficient.
Attached Thumbnails
large_1256260.jpg  
Gotwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #7

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Lavazza Blue Expresso Machine - It's an expresso maker not cappuccino. Basically it makes a great cup of coffee, not nearly as strong as a real expresso. It uses pods similar to Kurig accept it tastes good and has a natural coffee cream on top. Far better than Starbucks. It came with a coffee machine that I ordered for my company. They said it was for free so what the hell. I liked it so much that I bought one for the boat, $120. It has a little larger foot print than a Kurig. It's the only coffee that I can drink now. Black, strong with a natural cream on top. I love it.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
True expresso machine price has no upper limit but quality is more questionable. Look at Saeco machines. High end are full of electronic gizmo but if you want a true expresso machine that will not cost you arms and legs look at Saeco Aroma model. We have two of them, one is 18 years old, the other one is 9 years old, both function perfectly well and we never got any issue. They are both very simple, meaning On/Off button, start/stop button and steam on/off button, in summary not much that could go wrong. But they are working very well, are sturdy and reliable and make very good expresso.
Don't forget that good expresso comes from good coffee so a good coffee bean grinder is a must and may cost you as much as the coffee machine...

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The home setup is a Rocket R58 and a Baratza Grinder. I'll look into what our inverter setup is per O C Diver's suggestion.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #10
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
I spent a year or so poisoning myself with a Keurig before springing for a Breville "true" espresso machine. I speak of home,in the boat I've found the best solution is a good insulated French press.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
We use a Sunbeam brand machine onboard, like we previously used at home. A domestic espresso machine with milk frothing wand, integral water tank not plumbed in. We keep a small grinder onboard. Our current machine at home is better than the one onboard, but the simpler one onboard makes excellent coffee. We run the genset to power it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:18 PM   #12
Guru

City: Here
Quote:

Any tips?
This high pressure (lots of crema) espresso machine has been working onboard for about 15yrs. ...... Until yesterday when it died

Sadly it appears they are no longer in production.
Attached Thumbnails
NEW GALLEY COFFEE.jpg  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Hobsonville, Auckland
Vessel Name: Nordic Blue
Vessel Model: Nimbus 380 Commander
We use an Italian Elektra Leva machine which has an 800w element and is
manually operated. It takes 10mins (ish) to reach operating temp. It makes proper espresso based coffee (espresso, americano, cappuccino, etc) and operates on solar/inverter. We buy freshly roasted whole beans and have a quality German manual grinder capable of grinding uniformly finely for full extraction.
Grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:55 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Grae, now that is retro.Goes nicely with the Moet.
Our first machine was a stovetop "Atomic", now a collectors item.
Boatpoker, that looks high end, unlike ours. 15 years is a heroic performance.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #15
FF
Guru

We use a Swiss SS expresso pot on a gas burner.

A small bean grinder works on any inverter , its just a motor.

A "4 cup" unit actually only makes 2 real sized cups , but its really quick .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Helsinki
Vessel Name: Manaatti
Vessel Model: Nauticat 44 2006
Moka Pot Rocks!

I have used Moka Pot for ages. You can use it everywhere. Great coffee, need good beans with right roast, a good ceramic grinder and the coffee is awesome. Note the stainless foamer! Great to wake up every morning to get a sip. Simple joys in life.
Attached Thumbnails
Mocca Pan!.jpg  
Happy Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #17
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
I have a Pasquini Livia 90 and a Rancilio Rocky grinder. I also roast my own coffee on the boat with a Behmor 1600+. Fresh is good!

No problems with the grinder or espresso machine on the inverter. I haven't roasted while on the inverter though. Not yet!

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #18
Guru

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ironsides
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Quote:

Any tips?

By being on anchor few times recently, I had to realize how much current my manual espresso maker can draw. It is a 110V machine, so is my water heater pitcher. I could not never use them at the same time, by running the generator and inverter. I did have fully auto Saeco (plastic) before. I can imagine that was drawing even more. I had no choice, but consider a manual espresso maker.
First I tried the electrical/portable one. It did not work. You need an extra adapter for it to heat up the water inside. I’ve returned it.
I was thinking about the $200 version portable espresso maker, but at the end I did not buy it.
I have ordered a manual, italian design, espresso maker and I love it. Yes, it is manual and requires very hot water, but it works perfectly and very fast. Plus, it is cheap at $41 on the big seller web site.
I have a grinder, but it is also electric. So, I use grounded espresso, also italian. I am very happy with this solution and all I need is to heat up water on my propane burner. See photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	97628
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #19
Guru

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ironsides
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	97629
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #20
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Frog View Post
I have used Moka Pot for ages. You can use it everywhere. Great coffee, need good beans with right roast, a good ceramic grinder and the coffee is awesome. Note the stainless foamer! Great to wake up every morning to get a sip. Simple joys in life.
Simple and classic, I like it!
We also use a Moka pot, works for coffee and just heating water up tea if one is into that. And it takes very little room!
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote