Which EPIRB location do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Can't decide which location I like better. Curious what you think.

A. Near the window (the shades easily clear it)

B. In the corner behind the sofa.

Thanks!

IMG_8927.JPGIMG_8928.JPG

I like the second place.
More out of the way.

I have ours on the wall of the pilothouse. Out of the way but immediately acessable

Neither, it should be either outside or in a ditch bag if not on a hydrostatic release.

Outside near where you think you would abandon ship if not in the ditch bag.

Picture a cabin full of smoke and you trying to find and release the EPIRB...not a good idea in my experience....and there are other disorienting emergencies as well.

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon. Needs to be registered then when activated in an emergency will ping off a satellite and send for help.

One on the railing up top (hydrostatic release)

1498847807510-1478390931.jpg

One within reach of the helm chair.

14988478698731249173761.jpg

A PLB on a lanyard inside my inflatable PFD

14988480046791115560765.jpg

Sorry about the sideways pics.

Ted

Near the door in a prominent location right next to life jackets, ditch bag, flare bag, valise life raft, etc etc whatever else you carry. If you need it think in terms of seconds.

Ditch bags are proven, why mount it?

Agree with SoWhat. Next to the door. Inside. I want it with me when I leave the helm.

On thing taught in survival schools is that very often, all you have with you is what you had on your person when the shi* hit the fan.

The more you consolidate safety and survival gear, the better off you are.

So far the only A in the course is OC Diver. With an suto release EPIRB in a not likely to be trapped outdoor mount and a PLB on his person if he is wearing his PFD. Based that its an inflatable, guessing it goes on when he leaves the helm in an emergency.

On thing taught in survival schools is that very often, all you have with you is what you had on your person when the shi* hit the fan.

This reminds me of a particularly rough crossing; I look over and my wife has the EPIRB in her arms.

On our ST 44 we placed the EPIRB next to the door. When traveling, ditch bag is stored on the floor adjacent to the slider with PDF's.

A ditch bag needs to be tailored for each area you operate in.

For me, all I need is important papers, computer backups, cash, wallets, plb.

Offshore would be the same plus water, some snacks, playing cards, .....

Some things may be attached to PFDs rather than in ditch bag such as lights.

Back
Top Bottom