Old 07-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
EPA Comment Period on E15

For those who are concerned about ethanol in gasoline and haven't received this information (Read below):

July 13, 2015

Dear Boat U.S. Member-

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is asking for comments on a proposal to increase the amount of ethanol that must be blended into the nation’s fuel supply for 2015 and 2016. If adopted, these proposed levels will require the use of a record amount of ethanol, forcing higher-level fuel blends (including E15 or 15% ethanol) into more gas stations. Remember that most marine engines are built to only work with up to 10% ethanol and it is prohibited to use gas containing more than 10% ethanol in all marine engines.

Please take a moment to send a message NOW urging the EPA to lower the ethanol mandates to ensure an adequate supply of fuel that will work in your boat.

Background:

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is the 2005 law that requires the blending of biofuels such as corn-ethanol into our gasoline. When written, it was assumed that America’s use of gasoline would continue to rise and therefore mandated escalating amounts of biofuels to be blended with our fuel. Since 2005, U.S. gasoline usage has actually dropped steadily and now the law forces more ethanol into fewer gallons of gasoline.

To keep up with this mandate, in 2010 the EPA permitted E15 (fuel containing up to 15% ethanol) into the marketplace, for some engines. E15 is prohibited from being used in marine engines, snowmobiles, motorcycles, small engines like lawnmowers and leaf blowers, as well as any vehicle made before 2001. In multiple studies, E15 has been proven to damage boat engines.

E15 and higher ethanol blends fuel can now be found in 24 states, often at the very same pumps as E10 gasoline. The only warning you may have is one sticker mixed in with all the other warning labels on the pump. This creates a huge potential for mis-fueling and puts boaters at risk of using fuel that will damage their engines. CLICK HERE for more information on E15 and the Renewable Fuel Standard.

Thanks for being a BoatU.S. member and for taking action to let EPA hear how you care about the ethanol level in the fuel you buy for your boat engine. Help us out and please FORWARD TO A FRIEND.

Sincerely,

Margaret B. Podlich
President, BoatU.S.
703-461-2878 x8363
www.BoatUS.com/gov
Old 07-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #2

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
I done did it. Ethanol is a very bad product requires more energy to produce than good gas. Recommend everyone git on this one.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I did it too. Hate that crappy ethanol fuel.

Bring on the spam!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Strongly agree that ethanol in motor fuels is the work of the devil. OTOH, ethanol-free gasoline seems to have become ubiquitous, especially anywhere near boats and boaters. It's been years since I've had to worry about ethanol in the tank of my outboard, or any other small gasoline engines.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Wonder what idiot decided that "hey, let's take our food supply and burn it for fuel!" Oh, let me guess a government employee?

Thanks for the heads up.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
yikes

done and sent
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
Wonder what idiot decided that "hey, let's take our food supply and burn it for fuel!" Oh, let me guess a government employee?

Thanks for the heads up.
I believe it's mostly a plot by Iowa (and other state) corn growers.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Done.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:27 AM   #9
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Capt Jon-afraid Mark hit this one on the head. It wasn't some "government employee". In fact it was Big Agribusiness spending big bucks lobbying Congress. A great way to sell more corn and "help" poor big corporate farmers. The downside? (besides ruining a lot of engines) raises corn prices for feed for beef, pork, chicken, even shrimp and catfish! But hey, Archer Daniels Midland is doing better. The poor government employees are just doing what the Congress had told them to do.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:31 AM   #10
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Strongly agree that ethanol in motor fuels is the work of the devil. OTOH, ethanol-free gasoline seems to have become ubiquitous, especially anywhere near boats and boaters. It's been years since I've had to worry about ethanol in the tank of my outboard, or any other small gasoline engines.
The vast majority of fuel docks I've been to are all ethanol free. I wonder if that's in danger of changing?
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:42 AM   #11
FF
Guru

"Wonder what idiot decided that "hey, let's take our food supply and burn it for fuel!" Oh, let me guess a government employee?"

FARMERS
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:07 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
My pontoon boat with a four stroke engine has no end of trouble with ethanol. Hate the stuff.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #13

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Sent my letters.... Don't you love politician speak....?

EDWARD J. MARKEY
MASSACHUSETTS

218 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON, DC 20510
(202) 224-2742

United States Senate

July 10, 2015

Dear Mark:

Thank you for contacting me about the renewable fuel standard. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter.

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) was authorized by the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and then expanded under the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 to ensure a market for renewable fuels in the United States. The RFS requires that an increasing amount of renewable fuel be blended in with traditional petroleum fuels each year. By requiring a portion of our fuel to come from domestic biofuel producers, the RFS reduces our dependence on foreign oil, lowers gasoline prices, reduces carbon pollution from vehicles, and supports American jobs. Additionally, the RFS promotes the development of next-generation biofuels which will further reduce carbon pollution and increase the share of biofuels sourced from crop wastes that do not compete with the food crops.

While the 2007 update to the RFS set out annual targets for the number of gallons of biofuels to blend into gasoline, it also gave the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) the authority to adjust the numbers based on a number of criteria. On November 29, 2013, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) proposed lowering its renewable fuel requirement for 2014.

Although modifications to the RFS were proposed to address a number of concerns, the decision made by the EPA to reduce biofuel production so drastically will have a significant impact on the development of next-generation fuels, reduce employment in the biofuels sector, and increase our dependence on fossil fuels. I am concerned that the EPA's Renewable Fuels Standard proposal for 2014 requires less advanced biofuels than the industry can produce. This could undercut an industry that is finally growing and can provide economic and environmental benefits in the United States. I will continue to monitor the effectiveness and the impacts of the RFS.

As a United States Senator, I will continue to be a vocal advocate for combating climate change by reducing carbon pollution, increasing energy efficiency standards, and promoting clean energy development. On October 31, 2013, I introduced S. 1627, the American Renewable Energy and Efficiency Act, as the first bill I proposed in the U.S. Senate. The American Renewable Energy and Efficiency Act would create huge benefits for consumers, create jobs, and protect the environment by requiring electric utilities to obtain a minimum of 25 percent of their electricity from renewable sources like wind, solar, hydro, geothermal, and biomass by 2025. The bill also requires electric and natural gas utilities to implement energy efficiency programs that would save the equivalent of 15 percent and 10 percent of sales, respectively, by 2025. The American Renewable Energy and Efficiency Actwould complement existing state programs and ensure that the United States is not left behind by the 118 other nations that already have clean energy targets in place.

Our future, our children's future, and the future of our planet depends on what we do to address today's energy and environmental issues. While I support the EPA's ability to address changes in demand for renewable fuels, I will continue to fight for policies that will create new jobs in the clean energy economy, reduce our global warming pollution, and protect the health of citizens and the environment.

Thank you again for contacting me about this issue. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. To sign up for my newsletter, visit Newsletter Sign-up - U.S. Senator Ed Markey of Massachusetts. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

Sincerely,

Signature

Edward J. Markey
United States Senator
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #14
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capecodder View Post
Sent my letters.... Don't you love politician speak....?
Gee, I thought I got the same exact letter from our Representative in the House.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #15

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Written by the poor corporate farmer, I assume :-/
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post

Thanks for the heads up.
Just remember....if you sink offshore...it's probably some "government employee" that will come save your butt.

.....Plus as an assistance tower in a state that has had nothing BUT ethanol fuel at the marina pumps for over 5 years now...I believe a lot of the ethanol bashing is not based in fact. Few responses I have are because of just ethanol fuel....

The politics of it may be debatable....not so sure about how bad it is.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #17
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
As I understand it, anything over E10 is corrosive to pipelines so the extra ethanol must be transported by rail and truck, then blended at the distributor?? So extra road and rail traffic and the opportunity for mixing errors. Win Win???!!! Not.

Merc did a durability test on a Verado running E15. High exhaust temps destroyed the exhaust valves.

How much fuel is consumed and emissions released from dealing with failed engines. Gas burned driving to buy carb kits. Yea, no emissions there, right Mr Markey??
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
As I understand it, anything over E10 is corrosive to pipelines so the extra ethanol must be transported by rail and truck, then blended at the distributor?? So extra road and rail traffic and the opportunity for mixing errors. Win Win???!!! Not.

Merc did a durability test on a Verado running E15. High exhaust temps destroyed the exhaust valves.

How much fuel is consumed and emissions released from dealing with failed engines. Gas burned driving to buy carb kits. Yea, no emissions there, right Mr Markey??
As far as I know...it is blended in by the distributer into the truck or has the option of blending it at the final destination....at least in South Jersey.

A local boat mechanic when E-10 first came out responded to the worries about higher concentrations deteriorating outboards.

He took 3 samples from 3 boats he was working on and sent them to a lab (maybe several to ensure no bias). None of the samples exceeded 5%. That was the good news...he said the bad news was those engines were running lower octane fuel do to the lack of ethanol.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #19
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Just remember....if you sink offshore...it's probably some "government employee" that will come save your butt.

.....Plus as an assistance tower in a state that has had nothing BUT ethanol fuel at the marina pumps for over 5 years now...I believe a lot of the ethanol bashing is not based in fact. Few responses I have are because of just ethanol fuel....

The politics of it may be debatable....not so sure about how bad it is.
Perhaps instead of employee I should have said bureaucrat. However I stick by my statement that it is insane to use the food supply for fuel! If 15% ethanol is so great why stop there? Why not 50% or better 100%? Why is it most other countries in the world (I did say most not all) don't use it?
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #20

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Set the boat issue aside, take a look at what it is doing to trucks & cars. Repair shops are making great money rebuilding fuel systems for them. A year ago, we spent $7,000.00 to rebuild the Toyota we have. You would not believe what the fuel looked like when it was put in a barrel -- 30 gal of "gas" was not petroleum based product. Most of it was Ethanol. This was done at a Toyota dealership. Then there are the small engines I've rebuilt.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote