Entering Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottinMA

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Andiamo
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 390
Planning a trip on the St Lawrence and was hoping to remain on the US side but we will be going past Montreal and taking the Richelieu river in Sorel south to get back to the Hudson. Having no experience with taking our boat out of US waters I'm asking for advise from those who know.

Thanks,

Scott

Planning a trip on the St Lawrence and was hoping to remain on the US side but we will be going past Montreal and taking the Richelieu river in Sorel south to get back to the Hudson. Having no experience with taking our boat out of US waters I'm asking for advise from those who know.

Thanks,

Scott

You will need to enter Canada. It looks like after Cornwall the river is in Canada on both sides. Before that you will need to pick which side you will stay on.

To enter you use the ArriveCan app or web site. Fill out the info including uploading a photo of your passport and vax cards. You need to be fully vaccinated. Just follow the directions. Canada has marine checking points and you will need to go the closest one where you want to enter.

Don't forget to plan for your return as well. To bring your boat back into the US you will need a DTOPS decal that will cost a bit under $30. It can be done online. Re-entering the US you use the CBP ROAM app.

Just entered Canada a second time this summer. Last time I had to enter through a very select few places here in BC (Sidney, Bidwell, Victoria, Nanimo & Vancouver).

Today I was able to use my Nexus and enter at Port Browning. In the past I would give an arrival time and they would clear me on the spot but I had to look for customs agents on the dock. No agents, then I would be free to go. This time they said I had to be tied to the dock before they would clear me. Not a big change but we still are not back to the old days, but close.

Are you stopping at a marina, beach, meeting up with other people orboats, or anchoring? Or are you just passing thru?

If youre not stopping/anchoring/meeting up, I'm not sure you have to clear in.

Are you stopping at a marina, beach, meeting up with other people orboats, or anchoring? Or are you just passing thru?

If youre not stopping/anchoring/meeting up, I'm not sure you have to clear in.
It's not realistic to traverse the stretch in Canada without a stop.
So while theoretically OK, the passing through exception is not practical in this case. Easier to pick a spot in Canada to check in and repeat when reentering the US at Rouses Pt.
Download the appropriate apps and enter your personal and boat info ahead of time to simplify the check in process.
Also check on current practice & schedule for recreational locking thru the St Lawrence locks.

Last edited:
Thanks Don, We are looking forward to the trip home. If there are any particular sites along the Richelieu River don't hesitate to let us know.

Scott

2004 Mainship 390
"Andiamo"

We've been visiting Canada regularly this summer, traveling from our home port of Clayton NY to Gananoque ON, mostly for day trips. We fill out the ArriveCAN app to get a receipt prior to arrival in Canada. We report to a CBSA maritime reporting site and call the CBSA phone line, answer a few questions, and we're in. Its been easy. On the return side, we use the ROAM app. Also easy, although sometimes they want to have a video chat. Note that it takes a few minutes to set up an account and supply all the background info on the ArriveCAN and ROAM apps.

We were in Clayton municipal Marina for two days. The town is beautiful. The marina is clean and well run.

We were in Clayton municipal Marina for two days. The town is beautiful. The marina is clean and well run.

Yeah, we like Clayton too. Over the last 5-10 yrs its turned into a bustling little village with a great waterfront. Although we keep our boat at a less expensive backwater marina on the other side of town from the main waterfront.

I'm assuming you've done the antique boat museum and Boldt Castle. I like that area.

If you've got time Kingston - Ottawa - Montreal is a nice alternative route back. 49 small locks vs 5 seaway locks to get to Lac St Louis.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

I'm assuming you've done the antique boat museum and Boldt Castle. I like that area.

If you've got time Kingston - Ottawa - Montreal is a nice alternative route back. 49 small locks vs 5 seaway locks to get to Lac St Louis.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app
Agree if you have time the Rideau Canal and Ottawa Riv are the best routes to Montreal. You then have only one Seaway lock to contend with.
It's been too long since our Richleau cruise and I forget where we stayed over.
If interested in the Rideau alternative I can provide lots of recommendations.

Greetings,
Mr. S. +3 on the Rideau route. I'm VERY biased because I've boated on the Rideau for the past 40+ years and currently live on the Rideau in Manotick, Ontario. Do NOT pass up the chance to travel a world heritage site. Quaint villages/towns awash with history and beautiful scenery. Buy a lock pass and stay at the lockstations overnight. Many have power and all have washroom facilities.

Should have chatted with you earlier. After the Boldt castle we continued down the SL. Wish we would have taken the Rideau! A much more satisfying experience I'm sure.

Scott

Only two places I know for sure you can pass thru Canadian waters and not check in.
One is inside passage from Washington to Alaska.
The other is going from West Quoddy Head Maine around Campobello Island, Canada and back to Eastport or Lubec, Maine.
Both of these are allowed by treaty I believe.
In any case it's not a bad idea to contact local officials and tell them your intentions.

A little misinformation above. You can go through Canadian waters without checking in as long as you don't anchor, tie up, or otherwise go ashore. You can even lock through without checking in -- tying us in a lock doesn't count -- but while this could be done in the Welland Canal, if would be impossible in the St. Lawrence.

Don't forget that you need an FCC station license for your radios, radars, AIS, EPIRB, etc and a personal FCC license from all who might use the radio -- this is usually a Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit.

According to this comment in Blue Seas regarding the Welland Canal, your comment on locks may be incorrect.

"According to Canadian Law; Transiting through a canal or lock system that requires mooring or anchoring may not be considered an uninterrupted route. (The moment that you have a line to shore such as in a lock, you have entered Canada.)"

I am certainly not expert, but I doubt very much that a ship transiting the St. Lawrence Seaway, the Panama Canal, or other passages with locks must enter the country where the locks are. That would mean a great deal of paperwork. I think that canal locks fall into the same category as other international straits and allow passage without paperwork. The same would be true of boats.

Jim

While cruising the St Lawrence from the US 1,000 Is we intended to stay and check in at Prescott. Ont. When we found they did not have an available transient dock we changed our destination to Chrysler Park
I then contacted Canadian check # by phone during the cruise to ask whether it was acceptable to pass thru a St Lawrence Seaway lock to get to our destination and then check in. They said no problem and we had no issue when checking in on arrival.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. B. If I recall correctly, there was/is a Canadian customs dock in Ivy Lea, Ontario.
I am sure there were other alternatives, including a stop in Prescott just to check in. We preferred to simply continue on to our new destination to avoid an addition stop and the time to complete it. This was pre- covid but don't think that should have changed the procedural part?

Back
Top Bottom