Engines for my 42' Hatteras LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for this…. Clear… but I can t exchange the propellers as I thought…. Opposite side will go reverse…. ?

REF Post 135

The engines and transmissions that were installed in my 43' Albin had the engines and transmissions exactly as stated in Post #135 of this thread. I still have all the manuals and specification sheets for the boat - that is where I got the data for the post from. While the boat was destroyed in Hurricane Michael, I was able to retrieve the books and logs.

I though these engines were simple and easy to rebuild?

DDs are easy! I learned 55 years ago with a book and a guy I could call on a radio. No idea how many since.

The liners are easy to pull. Get a tool like the one shown. Put the piston at BDC, remove the rod cap, place tool on piston and adjust to span. Tool goes into 2 opposite ports. Rotate the crank - liner, piston, and rod are out. You can pull all liners in 10 minutes.

Pulling the head is the hard part.

Tool is on ebay. Search for "Detroit Diesel liner tool" about $125

Attachments

• DD Liner Tool_sm.jpg
    DD Liner Tool_sm.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 19
DDs are easy! I learned 55 years ago with a book and a guy I could call on a radio. No idea how many since.

The liners are easy to pull. Get a tool like the one shown. Put the piston at BDC, remove the rod cap, place tool on piston and adjust to span. Tool goes into 2 opposite ports. Rotate the crank - liner, piston, and rod are out. You can pull all liners in 10 minutes.

Tool is on ebay. Search for "Detroit Diesel liner tool" about $125

Well yes you are right cause you’ve logged in the proof but years ago I spent two weeks in the shop with the port engineer and watched him tear down two 4-71 winch engines and one 6-71 Gray Marine. I thought I had it more or less figured out and could run the rack pretty easy for me. But first engine I did blew up, yes puked itself to death. Why I didn’t know but was surely straightened out by a hard nosed old WWII Polish Free Navy vet. It was all about not setting liners height correctly which I’m sure you could do in your sleep but death for these engines

Rick

yeah no kidding. damn things are like 200lbs. guys here complain about having to change out their 8Ds, but those 2 Jimmy heads were horrible and I actually hired 2 big gorillas just to pull them off for me (limited headroom).

Thank you for your recommendation. I say "overhaul" as the translation of a French word actually. I just wanted to do a check to present the engines at her best....but I understand your point.
Thank you for the gear box recommendation also...

With the world economy in such flux right now..perhaps circle back and keep your present engines, with the 'overhaul/freshen up' work you mention?
Otherwise, freshen up engine space as you $ee fit?

Take a look at improving your exhaust muffler situation and run them for a few more years? Would your cruising plans work with that?

There's a 'trueism' that goes-
'If you look at something long enough, sometimes it can begin to look not so good anymore'

My 42LRC is a Mark I; I really prefer the deck arrangement "walk around"... and it is probably the only Mark I with one of the single beds in the aft cabin converted in a queen size by the Yard as a request of the first Owner. I have the best of both world. And I prefer to have the sofa in the saloon with the short side of the L facing the bow ! ?

I repowered with the 4045TFM75. It's a great engine. Very smooth and very clean.

The problems and extra expenses I ran into during the swap were mainly caused by John Deere's strict requirements to get the extended warranty. In particular exhaust back pressure and reaching 2600 RPM with 100% load at WOT. This was 10 years ago, so I don't know if they still have the same program.

The exhaust back pressure requirement was not initially met so the boat had to be pulled again and a entirely new larger diameter exhaust system fabricated and installed including new muffler and custom built elbow.

Based on "the curves" my existing prop and Velvet drive transmission ratio were not a good match, so I had to buy a new prop. The transmission was exchanged for a rebuilt from a local company that specializes in these transmissions.

The existing raw water cooling system was too small, so I had to install all new thru hulls and strainers. The fuel system ended up being mostly replaced as well.

I also had to replace the prop shaft, mainly due to the old one having a bit of wear, so this was the time to do that job as well.

After another failed sea trial I had to pull and repitch the prop to meet the WOT requirement.

The end result has been great, and I don't regret the decision, but it cost more than I expected.

Last edited:
I repowered with the 4045TFM75. It's a great engine. Very smooth and very clean.

The problems and extra expenses I ran into during the swap were mainly caused by John Deere's strict requirements to get the extended warranty. In particular exhaust back pressure and reaching 2600 RPM with 100% load at WOT. This was 10 years ago, so I don't know if they still have the same program.

The exhaust back pressure requirement was not initially met so the boat had to be pulled again and a entirely new larger diameter exhaust system fabricated and installed including new muffler and custom built elbow.

Based on "the curves" my existing prop and Velvet drive transmission ratio were not a good match, so I had to buy a new prop. The transmission was exchanged for a rebuilt from a local company that specializes in these transmissions.

The existing raw water cooling system was too small, so I had to install all new thru hulls and strainers. The fuel system ended up being mostly replaced as well.

I also had to replace the prop shaft, mainly due to the old one having a bit of wear, so this was the time to do that job as well.

After another failed sea trial I had to pull and repitch the prop to meet the WOT requirement.

The end result has been great, and I don't regret the decision, but it cost more than I expected.

Great examples of where the "real" work is doing a re-power. Dropping the engine in place is the easy part. Calculating all this stuff out in advance and leaving some margin for error will pay off well. I think all manufacturers require a sea trial and certification for the warranty to be valid. And that's the base warranty, not any extended warranty. I have heard anecdotally that teh Deere 4045 is sensitive to back pressure because it has very high raw water flow. Building in a bypass with adjustable valve is probably a good idea right from the start.

I job like this always costs a lot more than estimated. One thing leads to another…. But you have a great setup now.

Great input and information Bob. This is where to wrench meets the pocketbook and beyond relevant. Can I ask you about the back pressure demands for that engine. When you enlarged the exhaust run what diameter met the requirement ?

Rick

Great input and information Bob. This is where to wrench meets the pocketbook and beyond relevant. Can I ask you about the back pressure demands for that engine. When you enlarged the exhaust run what diameter met the requirement ?

Rick

Thanks, Rick. We made it work by going from 4 to 4.5". A 5" muffler had too big of a footprint. The 4.5" muffler is rated for 170HP for diesel engines. A 4" muffler of the same design is only rated for 125HP.

Thanks, Rick. We made it work by going from 4 to 4.5". A 5" muffler had too big of a footprint. The 4.5" muffler is rated for 170HP for diesel engines. A 4" muffler of the same design is only rated for 125HP.

Thanks good to know

Rick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom