Old 11-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne Beach
Vessel Name: Sweet Freedom
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Engines - extended non-use

I need like to solicit the opinions of this knowledgeable crowd to the following question.

What concerns would you have with the engines of a boat that was on the hard for a full year and a quarter?

They are naturally aspirated Cat 3208's. From the information I know they where is good working condition the last time used.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Tony
LuredAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
1.25 years is no big deal for cat 3208s. Check the oil and water. They should fire right off. Warm them up then change the oil.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuredAway View Post
What concerns would you have with the engines of a boat that was on the hard for a full year and a quarter?
IMHO: The good news is it wasn't left in the water. If you're concerned, you can roll the engines over with a breaker bar at least and make sure there is nothing binding it up.

But it sounds like it's something you're looking at to buy? If so I would have a mechanic check them out as a condition of purchase.

Mine, 6.354 Perkins n/a's, sat in the water through a winter while I was out of country longer than anticipated and they weren't prep'd. When I got back, I started both engines, port engine was fine, but starb. had a miss. Pulled the valve cover and found a bent push rod and a stuck exhaust valve. Fortunately, mechanic broke it free with a gentle tap of the hammer, replaced the push rod and all was fine. I should have dropped the exhaust tube and plugged the exhaust elbow before I left.

But I'm in the camp of it should be fine, if it was OK when it was shutdown. We had farm tractors and combines that didn't move for several years, that we had to press into service. We drained and replaced the old fuel, dropped in a battery and bleed the injector pump and fired them off.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I need like to solicit the opinions of this knowledgeable crowd to the following question.

They are naturally aspirated Cat 3208's. From the information I know they where is good working condition the last time used.

Tony
The same concerns I'd have with any engines of the same type and vintage. When you start saying you are or aren't concerned about engines used in a certain way, then you get sloppy and aren't thorough enough with your checking maintenance records, surveys and sea trials. Going the other way, if you start eliminating boats based on too little or too much used then you're reducing the market and likely eliminating a lot of good boats. Don't stereotype boats. You don't care about them at large. You care only about the one you're considering buying and it may or may not fit the norm.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Quote:

Tony

I don't think my Cat 3208s had been turned over for at least three years, maybe more. Checked the fluids and gave them each a bump to start and both kicked over and started right away. Had them checked out by the pre buy mechanic and he said good to go. That was three years ago, they have over a thousand miles on them since......
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
My experience with disused car engines, twice, cars written off after prangs, was they start and run fine initially, but soon showed signs of wear. Not high mile or bad cars, just accident damaged.
Is there a way to prelube the engines just in case? Be guided by a mechanic doing your survey?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:15 AM   #7
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
The one concern I'd have would be if an engine was sitting a long time with old dirty oil with a high moisture level or high acidity.
Check the service records to see that the engine was serviced properly prior to being stored.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:16 AM   #8
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
The one concern I'd have would be if an engine was sitting a long time with old dirty oil with a high moisture level or high acidity.
Check the service records to see that the engine was serviced properly prior to being stored.
Mine had only 46 hours on it when I bought it in 2013 (1999 manufacture), but it had an engine maintenance log showing oil changes and service. It was stored on the hard, and the service was all done by Zimmerman's yard in Virginia.

It fired right up and has over 3000 hours on it since then with no issues and only routine maintenance. I did change all of the hoses (raw water, fuel, injector, and coolant) and had routine service done as dictated by the engine manufacturer.

On the hard is good IMO
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:43 AM   #9
FF
Guru

"Check the service records to see that the engine was serviced properly prior to being stored."

However serviced "properly" is in Da Book , the service manual for that particular engine.

Most engines are seldom serviced properly , which is usually no big deal as the engine is only used 200-300 hours a year ,

so if a 10,000 hr engine looses 1/2 of its service life , who would notice?

The usual hassle is rust on the cylinder walls , which leaves small pits when the engine is finally started.

This causes higher oil consumption , an extra quart or five between oil changes is seldom a big expense
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Bar over two turns before cranking with starter. Need a 1.5" socket and breaker bar. If a hard spot is felt, don't force, investigate. If a valve is stuck things can break if you use the starter.

I give it a 90% chance that all is fine after 1.5yr, that is not that long a period. If it rolls over fine and fluids look good, just crank it up. Good idea for a new impeller before going anywhere far.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:28 AM   #11
FF
Guru

Some engines have a cold start device , a solenoid with a can of ether starting fluid , for starting in REAL cold.

They just spray into the intake.

I have often thought a unit could be installed to use fogging fluid instead.

We all "plan" to use the boat fairly soon , but sometimes life gets in the way.

A quick push to fog might save some hassles at the end of a cruise ?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne Beach
Vessel Name: Sweet Freedom
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I feel better about possible looking at the vessel in question
LuredAway is offline   Reply With Quote