Engine Room Paneling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last resort

Vessel Name
Last Resort
Vessel Make
Pilot House 55 Foot Symbol - Built in Taiwan
Hello All, I'm a newbie, this is the first time I've ever done this. I have a Taiwanese built raised pilothouse trawler with small, thin pegboard engine room paneling with a thin aluminum finish. I am looking for someone who sells this type of paneling. I've seen pictures of other boats on this forum that have the identical engine room paneling and thought someone on this forum might know where you can buy it, other than from Taiwan. I look forward to your response.

Thanks.

Pete

Pegboard! Hadn't thought of it that way, but that's exactly what it is like. Wonder how it would accept pegboard hangers?

My question about that material is how to determine how to hang items like boxes or panels from it?

Attachments

• DE677A31-B149-4B07-82AE-4313FA92DF59_1_201_a.jpg
    DE677A31-B149-4B07-82AE-4313FA92DF59_1_201_a.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 84
That's a SNAZZY lookin engine room! :) I wonder though, how the heat comes into play. It would seem like it's being "reflected" back where it shouldn't be... hmmmm...

very nice! It looks GREAT!!! And if you could use it for dual purpose (peg-board) that would be great!. LOL, now ya got me thinking about all my wall space... ;)

Soundown sells white perforated aluminum.

:socool:

That’s what we used when we redid our engine room. It was easy to work with and has held up great. We used pvc molding from a box store to trim it out. Soundown, Fort Lauderdale was very responsive and had some great suggestions.

Attachments

• C2915838-4810-4DA9-AAB8-6E0799E9ED9D.jpg
    C2915838-4810-4DA9-AAB8-6E0799E9ED9D.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 65
  • FA54663C-C319-4FEA-A501-82DA8B1F2271.png
    FA54663C-C319-4FEA-A501-82DA8B1F2271.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 224
  • C2703C4A-E886-4085-857A-DFBCD724598C.jpg
    C2703C4A-E886-4085-857A-DFBCD724598C.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 51
We used the non-perforated Soundown paneling. The gloss white surface cleans up much easier than a perforated where crud tends to accumulate in the crevices of the perforations.

That smooth surface does present a clean look. Very nice.

Anyone know what is inside that perforated clad sound dampening material? How does it accept screws for mounting lightweight or low impact items?

All of the perforated engine room products, pegboard. alum, steel, are designed to allow noise to pass through and impact the "real" insulation installed behind. These are mostly cosmetic finishes, not insulation.
The aluminum is .040 and pretty thin, without support nothing more than light wire chaces. The foil faced pegboard is just that, and will support a little more than the alum, again, without support behind.
Typically, careful planning for where lights, sprinklers, various equipment will be installed call for lumber or metal backing for support

Anyone know what is inside that perforated clad sound dampening material?

Thanks Keys, that's kinda what I figured. So the trick is to find where the insulation material is mounted to a stringer, a floor joist, or some other structure and use that point to mount whatever needs mounted? I have a small fuse panel, a pair of fishing rod holders, and another small junction box as well as some small gauge signal wires that need to mount on engine room walls covered in that material.

Yes, and I have seen lumber horizontally installed using existing vertical framing for support to back equipment that needs to be installed between framing. This is especially helpful for metal boats where drilling into a bulkhead would be problematic, but not so much for a vertical frame.

Thanks Keys, that's kinda what I figured. So the trick is to find where the insulation material is mounted to a stringer, a floor joist, or some other structure and use that point to mount whatever needs mounted? I have a small fuse panel, a pair of fishing rod holders, and another small junction box as well as some small gauge signal wires that need to mount on engine room walls covered in that material.

Back
Top Bottom