Old 03-04-2021, 05:36 PM   #1

City: PORTERVILLE
Engine room mounted air compressor

Has any body installed an air compressor in there engine room for blowing up water toys and using air tools. If so, what kind and size. All info would be greatly appreciated.
PACIFIC MANATEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I put in a cheapo oil less pancake comp in my engine room. There is an air chuck in the cockpit and in the ER, also powers the air horn. Very handy. 120V, bought from Lowes or similar for like $120.

It does not run air tools like a DA for very long before it needs to pump up again. Not sure of the capacity.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:22 PM   #3

City: Waverly, TN
Vessel Name: Toscana
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 44 Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACIFIC MANATEE View Post
Has any body installed an air compressor in there engine room for blowing up water toys and using air tools. If so, what kind and size. All info would be greatly appreciated.
Yea same as ski, i have a cheapo in the er. Tiny tank, but i have a 5gal reserve tank under the flybridge helm. You need a fairly large inverter to handle loaded startup. If i use the horns alot on a hot day, sometimes it will trip the inverter.
USCG 50T Master
jgtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
The tank is the key. If you can find room for a 5 to 10 gal tank you will have all the air you need for many purposes including lots of air tools. The compressor might take a long time to top off the tank but it can do that while you are off doing something else.

Air tools like Sanders and grinders use too much air to run off a small compressor. Tools like hammers, guns and ratchets use very little air. Spray guns for small jobs.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
What about a compressor belt driven from a PTO with a tank located somewhere else?
I was always wondering if I could fit one on my existing pulleys that could fill a tank on the flybridge.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:03 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
We have a smaller compressor in the ER from a big box store (Ace/HD). About $100. As Mr. Ski notes, short run time for air tools. Good for cleaning/dusting mechanical "stuff". We have enough hose to reach all of boat.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:03 PM   #7
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
When picking your tiny air compressor, make sure to get one with an aluminum tank, since a steel tanks rust, especially when you compress moist air, it separates the condensate into the tank and that starts rust unless you drain the tank often.

A 100 PSI 5 gallon tank of air can blow your boat up if it explodes. I was near a gas station when their tank blew the roof off the station and left an 8x8 foot hole. Who knows how high the tank parts flew in the air...

So, get an air compressor with an aluminum tank, and drain it regularly to keep moisture from building up in the bottom.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:09 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
What about a compressor belt driven from a PTO with a tank located somewhere else?
I was always wondering if I could fit one on my existing pulleys that could fill a tank on the flybridge.

L
I doubt you have a need for that much air power, to run the risk of a direct driven compressor...

If it were me, I think I would check out one of these models:
https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai.../dp/B083VNH2BF

It has an aluminum tank so no rust, and is fairly quiet, and it runs on DC so can run when necessary off the batteries, just put a Low voltage disconnect on the power cord.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #9
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
I doubt you have a need for that much air power, to run the risk of a direct driven compressor...

It has an aluminum tank so no rust, and is fairly quiet, and it runs on DC so can run when necessary off the batteries, just put a Low voltage disconnect on the power cord.
I keep that very model on board. Great compressor- ultra quiet. Doesn't take up much space.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #10
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Quote:

The link says it has a lightweight steel tank?
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:36 PM   #11

City: Waverly, TN
Vessel Name: Toscana
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 44 Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Try this one. 110v, low amps for inverter use, and alum tank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000...KIKX0DER&psc=1
USCG 50T Master
jgtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:30 AM   #12
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
I am not sure what the PO was thinking on Libra but she has a direct drive compressor on the main and genny, and a separate 220 v stand alone variety.
Other than an air horn, not sure what he was after.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:45 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
That one looked the same size as the one I have. It is not - I didn't read carefully. This is the one I have - https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai.../dp/B00TDNKBMC - it is aluminum. 110V and I use it on the inverter.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:58 AM   #14

City: Port Hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
That one looked the same size as the one I have. It is not - I didn't read carefully. This is the one I have - https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai.../dp/B00TDNKBMC - it is aluminum. 110V and I use it on the inverter.
Notice the warning label near the drain plug. Recommended to drain daily or after each use, so if you do that it doesn't much matter if it's steel or aluminum.
John R M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:04 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R M View Post
Notice the warning label near the drain plug. Recommended to drain daily or after each use, so if you do that it doesn't much matter if it's steel or aluminum.
Yessir.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:35 AM   #16

City: Colonial Beach, VA
Vessel Name: Tatoosh
Vessel Model: 1979 49ft Marine Trader RPH
My MT came with a silent JunAir compressor. I took it out and its for sale in the classifieds section. It was a good unit as they are silent and very efficient. Fast recovery too. I wanted the space for something else. Hope I do not regret it. They are $pendy compressors new.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:51 AM   #17
Guru

We installed a vent on our air compressors, so whenever the motor ran, it vented for 2-3 seconds, triggered by starting the motor. That opened the drain enough to blow out any condensation.
I guess I switched from the AC with aluminum tank version to the DC steel tank version.

I guess you could use air-on-demand compressors with no tank and minimize your risks.

Anyone with an air powered horn runs the risk of a tank problem, since you're going to leave the tank pressurized all the time, in the event of needing your horn. The more the compressor runs, the more it will fill the tank with condensed water.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #18

City: Colonial Beach, VA
Vessel Name: Tatoosh
Vessel Model: 1979 49ft Marine Trader RPH
Quote:
We installed a vent on our air compressors, so whenever the motor ran, it vented for 2-3 seconds, triggered by starting the motor. That opened the drain enough to blow out any condensation.
I guess I switched from the AC with aluminum tank version to the DC steel tank version.

I guess you could use air-on-demand compressors with no tank and minimize your risks.

Anyone with an air powered horn runs the risk of a tank problem, since you're going to leave the tank pressurized all the time, in the event of needing your horn. The more the compressor runs, the more it will fill the tank with condensed water.

I use "disposable" tanks for my air horn. Only turn it on before a cruise. I use a 20lb propane tank. Works great and can swap it out for cheap every 6-8 years. :-)
Old 03-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtrucking View Post
Try this one. 110v, low amps for inverter use, and alum tank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000...KIKX0DER&psc=1

If you go into the spec sheets, the crankcase, head and cylinder are all aluminum, but the actual air tank is STEEL, not aluminum. Still, it looks like a nice compressor!
Old 03-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #20

City: Jupiter
I'm sure the motors on the box store compressors are not ignition protected, so not in the engine room if you have gas engines. But even though we're talking diesel, isn't this a concern and is it permitted per ABYC?
TBill36 is offline   Reply With Quote