Engine Room for Claustrophobic Captains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
34' Tollycraft tri cabin fits our current boating needs/desires... perfectly!

For any boat we own:

Linda wants/needs big window salon with up galley. That works for me too!

I want/need engine compartment I can stand upright in [with at least a fair amount of room to reach into most if not all compartment areas]; and, a really good hull and power design that can handle relatively large sized sea disturbance conditions.

Together we both must have a flying bridge! As well as outdoor locations for seating and enjoyment. :D :D

Attachments

• Linda TO Photo 1.JPG
    Linda TO Photo 1.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 70
  • TO - Both Engines and Grey-Flex Battery Cover Looking Astern 100_0612.JPG
    TO - Both Engines and Grey-Flex Battery Cover Looking Astern 100_0612.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 75
  • TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.JPG
    TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Copy of Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    Copy of Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 64
Hmmm, I can see I need to get the garden hose into my ER to clean it. SMILE

You might also consider a Cheoy Lee. Our 40 LRC has 5 ft+ headroom without the saloon floor hatches open 15 ft+ long, and 10+ wide out to the two fuel tanks, 350 gal each. With twin Lehman 135s, there is enough room for me to reach over the starboard engine to do the impeller or the coolers.
I am 6'4" and 350 lbs. No pics.
I am embarrassed. The ER needs cleaning before I could show it here.

Welcome Levrac,
May be a little more boat than you're thinking, but you'd be hard pressed to find a friendlier engine room on a commonly available trawler than a DrFever 44. I'm 6'3" and the Admiral keeps me locked down there most days!?View attachment 88504

I agree! :D

Attachments

• E35B3763-A90C-42CC-8C30-1CAFF81574C8.jpeg
    E35B3763-A90C-42CC-8C30-1CAFF81574C8.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 63
I spoke with our mechanic today after he’s put in 6 or 7 days on various projects that started with annual fluids/filters/zincs and as we all know, things mushroomed from there. Anyone familiar with Bayliner 4788 pilothouse “engine rooms” understands the challenges. In business you can have things good, fast, or cheap - pick two. In designing the 4788 it was people space, stuff space, service space. Guess which two won?

He totally finished today. First time I’ve heard Adair laughing in two weeks.

If/when there is a next boat (downsizing) engine room + quality come first.

I am running into the same issue. I want to replace the raw water impeller on the outboard side of my starboard engine, but can't get to it. Are there any secrets you could share? Or do you have to try and do it blind? 41 PT Trawler, twin 120 lehmans.

An roomy well lit engine room is very desirable. You'll never see it on a safety checklist, but I believe it's a huge factor in a well run boat. If it's convienient, you're more likely to do it. Checking oil every start up, site glasses you can glance at, able to see under the engine for liquid etc. I always paint engines white. Just another aid to your vigilance.
I just bought this boat (yesterday!) 58' Bill Garden wood trawler. The engine room (needs my attention) sits in the middle of the boat.
Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 7.19.40 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 7.03.06 AM.jpg

Last edited:
I am running into the same issue. I want to replace the raw water impeller on the outboard side of my starboard engine, but can't get to it. Are there any secrets you could share? Or do you have to try and do it blind? 41 PT Trawler, twin 120 lehmans.

I have 225 Lehmans. The starboard impeller is a bugger. I use a Jabsco impeller puller but had to get allthread to replace the T handle that comes with it and use double nuts to turn the allthread. But the real adventure is getting the new impeller in. I found a company that makes a tool to insert the impeller into the pump. Impellertool.com is the company. It is a machined aluminum sleeve that you lube the new impeller and twist it into the sleeve. Then the impeller slides into the water pump super easily. Then I take a dowel cut to fit and brace it against the impeller and pull the sleeve out of the pump. It is awesome. I have to do it pretty much by feel since I really can’t see the water pump much if at all.

I have 225 Lehmans. The starboard impeller is a bugger. I use a Jabsco impeller puller but had to get allthread to replace the T handle that comes with it and use double nuts to turn the allthread. But the real adventure is getting the new impeller in. I found a company that makes a tool to insert the impeller into the pump. Impellertool.com is the company. It is a machined aluminum sleeve that you lube the new impeller and twist it into the sleeve. Then the impeller slides into the water pump super easily. Then I take a dowel cut to fit and brace it against the impeller and pull the sleeve out of the pump. It is awesome. I have to do it pretty much by feel since I really can’t see the water pump much if at all.

"You can see it, and you can feel it. But you can't do both at the same time."

On mine you really can’t even see it. You can see parts of it if you look through some of the pipes but you can’t see the whole pump, except for right now I can see the whole pump. But I have the starboard engine out and up in the salon. So I will replace the cam, wear plate and impeller this winter since it is right out in the open now.

An roomy well lit engine room is very desirable. You'll never see it on a safety checklist, but I believe it's a huge factor in a well run boat. If it's convienient, you're more likely to do it. Checking oil every start up, site glasses you can glance at, able to see under the engine for liquid etc. I always paint engines white. Just another aid to your vigilance.
I just bought this boat (yesterday!) 58' Bill Garden wood trawler. The engine room (needs my attention) sits in the middle of the boat.
View attachment 110675

View attachment 110677

Very nice. Those look like 6.8L Luggers?

On my 40 footer w/ twin 120's, I have found it easier to remove the stbd pump from the engine and then change the impeller. However, I have a hatch above the engine which makes it easier to remove the hoses and top three mounting bolts. I first remove the bottom mounting bolt by accessing it from the front of the engine using a box end wrench that I had to grind down the exterior to make it fit around the bolt I then remove the remaining three bolts using a thin wall socket, extension and ratchet. Lastly, I loosen the hose clamps and lift the pump off with the hose. If you don't have some access from above, I have no clue.

Tator

For ER size the vessel I've seen with the most room (actually a TF member that's in the same boat basin as me) is huge with total walk around room of both engines I'm uncertain but think it's a Californian 42?Maybe 80's vintage?

I don't have an engine room anymore, and I really can't get to either side of the engine. To change the SW impeller, I must lie atop the engine and with only my left hand, remove the intake manifold. Then, because the impeller cannot be removed with the pump in place due to close interference with the engine mount, I pull the pump/gear combo from the engine, still left handed only for impeller replacement. I gotta say, this boat stuff is so much phun!

Attachments

• DSC00732.jpg
    DSC00732.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 18
Holy crap! You must really love this boat for a boatload of other very good reasons.
I don't have an engine room anymore, and I really can't get to either side of the engine. To change the SW impeller, I must lie atop the engine and with only my left hand, remove the intake manifold. Then, because the impeller cannot be removed with the pump in place due to close interference with the engine mount, I pull the pump/gear combo from the engine, still left handed only for impeller replacement. I gotta say, this boat stuff is so much phun!

Art DeFever was a tall broad man. He stated many times that one of his design philosophies was the boat must fit him. In his popular designs in the 44 to 50 foot range ER and machinery spaces are normally suitable.

As DeFevers age and major machinery work is required, their roomy design philosophy lends itself to major refits. Bottom line, when looking at older boats lean towards those that provide access for the inevitable. Only a first hand look will provide this type of information.

Another GH (N37) view

Attachments

• EngineRoom.jpg
    EngineRoom.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 26
DeFever 44s have four hatches in the salon that open a space to the engine room that measures five feet by five feet. The hatches are directly above the engines. An entire engine with transmission can be slid out through the starboard side door.

I was once aboard a Monk 36. The Monk also has a large hatch directly above its engine.
Art DeFever was a tall broad man. He stated many times that one of his design philosophies was the boat must fit him. In his popular designs in the 44 to 50 foot range ER and machinery spaces are normally suitable.

As DeFevers age and major machinery work is required, their roomy design philosophy lends itself to major refits. Bottom line, when looking at older boats lean towards those that provide access for the inevitable. Only a first hand look will provide this type of information.

It may be the best boat in the world but, if I cant get to the engine and aux. machinery easily, it just wont do for me. Sorry.
When I looked at my AT34, dry head and engine room space. The rest.... is great too

Last edited:
Engine Room [err "elbow" room - lol] - Cried Danny Boone! That quote is for us old enough to recognize it's late 1950's early 60's TV show background...

So... Photos below show one of the main reasons we purchased our Tollycraft. The following tells "engine compartment" ease of use on our little, fun Tolly!

Center of salon has large dual hatches that super easily open wide to reveal a deep, well arranged engine compartment [unlimited head room with comfortable wood pallet walking path in center]. Generally viewing things therein before startup or during startup is a breeze. Stepping down into the engine area; for handson checking items is easy. Working on parts, replacing them, or accomplishing maintenance needs for either twin or on the genset engine can be well accomplished. Does take some contortions to get directly over the transmissions, but, checking their fluid level is no problem. Outside of the twins [that is fairly near to the 100 gallon fuel tanks] do take a bit of maneuvering to service parts there... however... everything is accessible.

Of the several boat design portions/options that I have for a checklist during inspection toward purchase - Easy Access into and around inside the engine room or engine compartment is my #1 requirement.

Attachments

• TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 13
  • TO - Both Engines and Grey-Flex Battery Cover Looking Astern 100_0612.jpg
    TO - Both Engines and Grey-Flex Battery Cover Looking Astern 100_0612.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 13
  • TO - Port Engine 100_0613.jpg
    TO - Port Engine 100_0613.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 13
  • TO - Stbd Engine 100_0614.jpg
    TO - Stbd Engine 100_0614.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Holy crap! You must really love this boat for a boatload of other very good reasons.

It's what I got when I left the trawler behind to get 315 HP to plane a 30-foot boat. There are lots of them like this out there.

It's what I got when I left the trawler behind to get 315 HP to plane a 30-foot boat. There are lots of them like this out there.

Rich, on my Pilot I would open the main hatch over the engine and then I could go in under the companionway stairs....I would either go left or right. When I was done I would then come out between the engine and the hatch. I would always tell someone(float/flight plan) that if they hadn't heard from me in XX minutes, to come looking for me!!!!

I know this is an older thread and I have not re-read it. But one thing a friend of mine did was put mirrors(I think the are metal) on the outsides of his engines. That way he can inspect that outboard sides of the engines without much gymnastics.

Rich, on my Pilot I would open the main hatch over the engine and then I could go in under the companionway stairs....I would either go left or right. When I was done I would then come out between the engine and the hatch. I would always tell someone(float/flight plan) that if they hadn't heard from me in XX minutes, to come looking for me!!!!

The opening under the companionway is big enough for me to squeeze in there up to just below my ribs if I suck my chest way in. Absolutely no room in the PII to get even a very small man's body any farther in there, and to worm through there and up the side of the engine through the engine cover,
no way as yo can see from the earlier photo. I never get in there like that without my cell phone in my hand and my wife knowing I am doing so. Never do it if she is away from home - too potentially dangerous. I could probably manage to pull all the coolers from the engine working from the top; and I am sure I could manage the alternator, but pulling and installing a starter would require either a small mechanic of lifting the engine out. There are places I can get my hand only up to my wrist between the engine and the hatch coaming.

I can stand tall in my engine room if I just look at my feet. But, I have to be a spider monkey to check the oil in my port generator. It is installed with the operator side inches from the bulkhead.

We are all assuming you are dealing with cold engines and the boat is tied to the dock.

I have a small boat with a small engine, so I only have standing headroom when I'm standing on my hands and knees. Two things that I've done to make my engine room feel bigger. The first is lighting. My PO had three AC trouble lights on board because there were only two dinky 12V DC lights in the engine room. It was too dark to even look at the oil dip stick without crawling towards a light. For about $20 I bought an LED light string and connected it to the DC light. They run along the ceiling and are attached with stainless staples. It sure makes the engine room feel bigger.

The second improvement was knee pads. I have good ones for tasks that will take some time and cheapo gardening ones ($5) that are always handy. More light and more comfortable access makes any ER less oppressive.

Attachments

• engine room.jpg
    engine room.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 11
Even with good lighting, I have found an LED headlamp indispensable.
Tator

Even in a similar size boat with similar engines, layout and placement of other equipment makes a huge difference.

My engine room is only about 3.5 feet tall between the engines, less in some other areas. Engine access is pretty good. Down a hatch into the space between the engines for oil, coolant and trans checks. Belts are reachable off to both sides before going back up the hatch. Access to the outboard sides takes a crawl past the front of the engines to get around to the outboard sides. There's nothing out there except the mufflers outboard of the transmissions, so plenty of space to sit and move around, although you're on the angled hull bottom.

Generator access isn't as good. It's a little bit of a crawl to check fluids. Pretty much anything else is a tight, long crawl, or pull the floor hatch above the generator to get to stuff from the top and be able to get into spaces you can't crawl into.

It's far from the best engine room I've seen, even in this size boat. But I've also seen far worse (think sailboat, express cruisers, sport fish).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom