Engine Personalities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Engines!

This is my favorite topic, and my favorite thread! I don't know much, so your best bet is to stop reading right now.

Most of my experience is sailboats. Switched to trawler upon moving to Seattle because the environment is ideal. Now I live aboard my third powerboat.

In trawler, I started with a single Lehman 125, then two of those in a defever 49. It was great. I cleaned them and change their fluids and painted them and gave them names and that's it.

Now I have twin Detroit 8v92 ta 735 horsepower each.

baby.

I loooove them. They lurk in the basement like captive rhinoceroses. Or something. Who even knows how fast I can go? I'm afraid to.

I have a Perkins 4-236 in Old School. It was new when the boat was built in ‘93 and has been bulletproof in the 13 years I’ve owned her. Parts have been easy to come by, see Trans Atlantic Diesel

This is my favorite topic, and my favorite thread! I don't know much, so your best bet is to stop reading right now.

Most of my experience is sailboats. Switched to trawler upon moving to Seattle because the environment is ideal. Now I live aboard my third powerboat.

In trawler, I started with a single Lehman 125, then two of those in a defever 49. It was great. I cleaned them and change their fluids and painted them and gave them names and that's it.

baby.

I loooove them. They lurk in the basement like captive rhinoceroses. Or something. Who even knows how fast I can go? I'm afraid to.

Man, twin 8V92’s, would love to hear that roar.

personal experience

Only dead sure on one thing ! My perkins turbo diesels had 4000 hours when purchased in 1989 and 6,000 or so when sold in 2015. The MOST reliable widgets of any mechanical type that i EVER owned ! So happy with them. (lived in my "basement" and referred to as "the blues brothers")! Only real expense was cooler changes around 6 years in at total of $ 2,300 (made custom by a Long Island NY company) The Blues Brothers smoked like a blue bitch upon start-up for the first 3 years or so. also: 1 dist pump re-build at $700 and 12 injector re-builds at $85 ea, 2 exhaust risers (s/s) about $500 each and 2 exhaust manifolds at appr $375 ea. Amortized over 26 years this is chicken feed. P.S. was anal about fuel filter changes and always used Bio-Bore upon each fueling. Best parts source: TA Diesels VA.

Worst source: Foley MA

we are looking for the next Trawler, but somewhat slowly.is
Engines will be 60% of the decision.

Like Lehman and Perkins.
Neutral on Cummins and Cats
Avoiding Volvos, Yanmars.

Not a clue about Detroits (but they seem to last a long time!), or John Deere (my mechanic speaks well of them.)

I currently have gasoline engines and can cruise at a thirsty 27 knots. Want more cabin and don't mind 8 knots.

I see alot of Cummins and want to know more, and maybe am giving Volvo a bad rap, but have heard some things (cost, finicky reliability).

Thanks for any war stories or good info!![/QUOTE]

baby.

OA 42 with twin 3208 320hp owner lurking here, thank you for making my day LOL

I have a Perkins 4-236 in Old School. It was new when the boat was built in ‘93 and has been bulletproof in the 13 years I’ve owned her. Parts have been easy to come by, see Trans Atlantic Diesel

A Perkins 4-236 is a 'forever' engine. Mine withstood a number of rookie mistakes on my part.

engines

Hi All -

We are looking for the next Trawler, but somewhat slowly.
Engines will be 60% of the decision.

Like Lehman and Perkins.
Neutral on Cummins and Cats
Avoiding Volvos, Yanmars.

Not a clue about Detroits (but they seem to last a long time!), or John Deere (my mechanic speaks well of them.)

I currently have gasoline engines and can cruise at a thirsty 27 knots. Want more cabin and don't mind 8 knots.

I see alot of Cummins and want to know more, and maybe am giving Volvo a bad rap, but have heard some things (cost, finicky reliability).

Thanks for any war stories or good info!!

Avoid Volvos for numerous reasons. Go with a Lehman if possible. With proper annual maintenance they will go 10,000 hours without problems. My FL 120 has 7600 hrs on it and it runs like a charm. I attended a week long marine diesel course at the Wooden Boat School. The engine I had to work on was a Yanmar. It was very strange and different from most engines. Because of that experience, I'd probably shy away from those simply because it might be hard to find mechanics who are familiar with them. No experience with Detroits or Cummins.

I'd very much like to chat with you. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune for 5 years and you mentioned so many places that I love. I'm also very interested in downsizing to a Camano Troll.

And AL, no, we don't have to change the injector oil on the 135's.

:thumb: :thumb: Thanks for confirming that, Charlie!

A Perkins 4-236 is a 'forever' engine. Mine withstood a number of rookie mistakes on my part.

Great to hear that others feel the same way I do about these engines. It gives be plausible 'confirmation bias'. :dance:

Mine are original 1977 "Blues Bros" (I'm stealing that one!) with 4000 hrs. My parts list over the past 13 years of ownership sounds similar to skipperguy's list above

Well, the original question was about engine personalities so as far as my two Lehman SPs are concerned I can report that they both have a bright and outgoing personality, always eager to help and ready to be involved at the drop of a hat. Never complain, always available and always have a great big grin. Even after a set back, like a cooling water impellor, hey just get back and get straight back to work.

I regard them as friends of the highest order and wouldn`t hesitate to recommend them to any employer who is seeking a dedicated worker.:)

Personality?
I would say the personality of the power plant in Libra is...serious, steady, or perhaps sturdy, maybe even ominous.
The Mercedes Benz OM403 NA V10 weighs in at 2200# and turns a Masson Marine workboat gear that weighs nearly half of that. Her 10 cylinders displace about 16 liters or 1000 cu in. She is a conservative 320 hp and generates around 800 ft/lbs of torque in her sweet spot around 1500 rpm. She will turn 2500 rpm in neutral but maxes at around 2000 when her 45 inch wheel is engaged. I have never seen her run a temp other than 172 degrees regardless of load (keel cooled) and 70 psi of oil pressure from idle to on her pins.
Her low rumble is lovely. She is the heart and soul of the ship.

Attachments

• Libra engine room.jpg
    Libra engine room.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 22
I assuming non turbo models, It seems to me that Turbo's are just to expensive to repair and maintain / problematic.

Difficult if not impossible to find a marine diesel, without turbos, above 160 HP that has been made in this century. Last centuries's boats that are in really good shape should not be overlooked just because they have a turbo.

I've not spent one dime on my two 3,000 hour turbo chargers. After coolers now, that is a different story. How about those turbos on globe girdling Nordhavns?

Personality?
I would say the personality of the power plant in Libra is...serious, steady, or perhaps sturdy, maybe even ominous.
The Mercedes Benz OM403 NA V10 weighs in at 2200# and turns a Masson Marine workboat gear that weighs nearly half of that. Her 10 cylinders displace about 16 liters or 1000 cu in. She is a conservative 320 hp and generates around 800 ft/lbs of torque in her sweet spot around 1500 rpm. She will turn 2500 rpm in neutral but maxes at around 2000 when her 45 inch wheel is engaged. I have never seen her run a temp other than 172 degrees regardless of load (keel cooled) and 70 psi of oil pressure from idle to on her pins.
Her low rumble is lovely. She is the heart and soul of the ship.

How about a video demonstration, Bill? I'd love to see and hear your ER in action!

Curious why Yanmar gets a bad rap? Granted my boat is on the smaller side than many here, but it starts the instant the key is moved, never even hear a single crank, it's like turning on a light switch. For its size, I believe it is more efficient and lighter weight than most as well as lower emissions. Never detect any smoke even at WOT.
+1

Bill' MB is 20 HP per liter at max power! he runs way below that so if he keeps the water out that engine will be running for his grandkids..

Back
Top Bottom