Engine Operating Temps: 4LHA-STP (4 cyl. 240 hp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomF

Vessel Name
Liberty
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34 - 2003
I have a 2003 MS Pilot 34 with twin 4LHA-STP engines (1,400 hrs). I cannot find the OEM running temperature specs and would like to compare. I believe I am ok running at cruise of 2,600 RPM (17.2 knots) @ 178 degrees F measured with an infrared handheld laser gun. The temps align with my dashboard gauges.

You should be able to find an owners or technician's manual on line that gives you operating temperature parameters.

Where are you taking the infrared temperature readings as reading normally vary on the engine. Also, as distance from the engine increases, the cone on temperature acceptance increases. Check the laser instructions to understand the optimal distance for target size.

Ted

The temp gauge shows my 2 large Volvos at 170F after a long time at 1600 rpm.

A temp of 180-200 F measured at the top of the thermostat housing is generaly ok.

David

FWIW, my pair in our 400 run happily at about 170 on the gauges at 1800 RPM. When I bump them up to 2800 they run about 175. I laser shot temps at various places on the engines and put them in my log, as said above the temp varies a lot based on where you take the readings. I use the laser temps as a sort of baseline.

I also have aqualarms installed on the exhaust hoses just downstream of the mixers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom