Old 12-04-2021, 08:05 AM   #41
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I would prefer 1 battery and charger for multiple tools. At least if it made them less expensive.
All the batteries and chargers are the same. That is why I bought the same manufacture
If all goes as planned, I will die before I wear these tools out.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:23 AM   #42
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I guess I'm just old fashioned or a hold out but I do like the life of the old technology.
I'm 80 years old now and have had my share of battery powered tools that no longer work. After many years of replacing them I finally found the solution and have embraced it for the last 20 years. I would have done this in my Duffy as well but a 5 mile extension cord was a little over $92,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Elec drill.jpg   Extenshion Cord.jpg  
Old 12-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #43
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Shame on you Codger! You are supposed to be pro battery! Just kidding. I get it, but on the other hand, I have about a 10 year old cordless drill that shows no sign of dying. It may some day, but it's cheap enough to replace. I can't imagine having to deal with a power cord all the time. Maybe for a specific project, fine. But for example, my boat is on the hard right now. I recently needed a drill/driver to remove about a dozen screws from both sides of the boat. Sure glad i didn't have to find power in the yard, then make sure I had a long enough extension, and then have to drag that extension with me around the boat to remove a few screws. Then have to coil everything up afterward. Ugh, no thanks!
Old 12-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #44

City: lockhart
The only rechargeable battery powered tool I've had that needed replacing was a squirrel tossing spinning bird feeder. My two decade old Ridgid drill recently had one battery show a "bad" indicator on the charger but it charged and works fine.

I have a dusty bin with some corded power tools that I keep in case I have a particularly heavy duty job to deal with. But, for the most part, I'll take the rechargeable tool with me on any job.
phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #45
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
There is a big difference between a 1/8 hp hand held drill motor and a 5 hp chain saw. Modern cordless electric drill motors are great: use is intermittent enough that with two batteries you can use it all day long. As the batteries get better bigger tools become practical - I have a Milwaukee battery powered buffer that I can also run all day long, switching two batteries between tool and charger. Again that is a <1/4 hp motor. 5 hp chainsaw is a different matter with current batteries. It is ether going to be very heavy, only run for a short period, or be gas powered. That will change in the future, but not today.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #46
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
There is a big difference between a 1/8 hp hand held drill motor and a 5 hp chain saw. Modern cordless electric drill motors are great: use is intermittent enough that with two batteries you can use it all day long. As the batteries get better bigger tools become practical - I have a Milwaukee battery powered buffer that I can also run all day long, switching two batteries between tool and charger. Again that is a <1/4 hp motor. 5 hp chainsaw is a different matter with current batteries. It is ether going to be very heavy, only run for a short period, or be gas powered. That will change in the future, but not today.

Agreed. I love all my battery hand-held power tools. Even the small chain saws have a place. I could easily end up with one myself to keep in the side-by-side for clearing trail obstructions. But I can't imagine trying to cut up a 12" hardwood tree, let along something bigger. Even if the battery lasted, it would just be too slow. Now if you only cut up one such tree in your lifetime, going slow isn't an issue. But if you cut a couple per year, let along a couple per day, those 45cc to 85cc chain saws start looking pretty good.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #47
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Have battery weedwacker, trimmer, leaf blower. Wife didn’t like the weight of gas powered. Still, for spring and fall doing the yard I pick up the gas powered units. They remain more powerful with current tech. Especially notable with the leaf blower. For chainsaws it’s a huge difference. Wife’s family collectively own a hunting camp which gives us 25 acres of wood lot. Cut fresh oak and other hardwood . Then a gas powered splitter. Then stacked under house for use 3-4 years later. No question in my mind unfortunately for small engines there’s still a place for gas. Agree it’s a pain to mix, run carbs dry, fog, gap plugs etc. but the tools are older than my children and still work. Other than plugs and air filters all parts original.
Biggest thing I hate in tools and boats is the replacement of sturdy, long life metal parts with friable, brittle junk.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Have battery weedwacker, trimmer, leaf blower. Wife didn’t like the weight of gas powered. Still, for spring and fall doing the yard I pick up the gas powered units. They remain more powerful with current tech. Especially notable with the leaf blower. For chainsaws it’s a huge difference. Wife’s family collectively own a hunting camp which gives us 25 acres of wood lot. Cut fresh oak and other hardwood . Then a gas powered splitter. Then stacked under house for use 3-4 years later. No question in my mind unfortunately for small engines there’s still a place for gas. Agree it’s a pain to mix, run carbs dry, fog, gap plugs etc. but the tools are older than my children and still work. Other than plugs and air filters all parts original.
Biggest thing I hate in tools and boats is the replacement of sturdy, long life metal parts with friable, brittle junk.
While I have no use for it anymore living in Florida, I seriously considered building a log splitter with an electric 5 HP motor and a 2 stage pump about 10 years ago. Not as fast, but no gas engine and a whole lot less noise.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:31 AM   #50
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
engine electronic controls = bad?

Just curious when/how this thread went off the rails. Looks like post #18.
And, it was mine [emoji15]
Mea culpa [emoji41]
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #51
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Shame on you Codger! You are supposed to be pro battery! Just kidding.
I understand the acceptance of battery powered tools but when the battery is dead (which happened to me a lot) & the job at hand wouldn't wait, having an extension cord and an electric drill is priceless! I am not pro battery, rather I am pro electric! Wanting an electric boat with an inverter and outlets for plugging in 110v appliances was my goal. Recent progress in battery chemistry is great & I look forward to my first LifePO4 banks. Note: I just completed my first year of ownership of my Duffy 22 Cuddy. My total use of diesel is zero and my need for zincs is one. I have fewer scars from hose clamps and absolutely no burns from a hot engine and access to all the various components necessary for an electric boat are under the seats. Life is great! (Now where did I store that extension cord & drill?)
Attached Thumbnails
Battery bank.jpg   Smart TV 2.jpg   refrigerator.jpg   Smart gauge & water gauge.jpg  
Old 12-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #52

City: Hobe Sound
Vessel Name: Kumatage
Vessel Model: Grnd Bnks 46 cl
+1 for the electric weed whacker. 40v lion battery starts it every time!
Steve1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Just curious when/how this thread went off the rails. Looks like post #18.
And, it was mine [emoji15]
Mea culpa [emoji41]
It's all your fault Dave!
Old 12-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #54
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I understand the acceptance of battery powered tools but when the battery is dead (which happened to me a lot) & the job at hand wouldn't wait, having an extension cord and an electric drill is priceless! I am not pro battery, rather I am pro electric! Wanting an electric boat with an inverter and outlets for plugging in 110v appliances was my goal. Recent progress in battery chemistry is great & I look forward to my first LifePO4 banks. Note: I just completed my first year of ownership of my Duffy 22 Cuddy. My total use of diesel is zero and my need for zincs is one. I have fewer scars from hose clamps and absolutely no burns from a hot engine and access to all the various components necessary for an electric boat are under the seats. Life is great! (Now where did I store that extension cord & drill?)
Wifey B: I cheer you on.

You found the perfect boat for you today at this point in your life. That's what we all need to do, not the one someone else thinks we should have but the one that brings us pleasure and comfort at the level you describe.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #55
Guru

Still different boats for different folks.
Same problem throughout. Lack of infrastructure. I have a diesel Jeep. It has a range of 720 miles at 70-80 mph and rock crawls. The bride and I commonly use it to wander between states. Usually have a final destination but will wander. When we are out of fuel getting more is a non issue. We have two vehicles. Really want one to be electric. Best range we can find is 400 miles. Went it runs out needs a plug and hours to recommence the trip. Looked at our recent trips. No infrastructure to even do that.
Same with our cruising style. Commonly pick a final destination but not being under time constraints wander. Often are off grid for weeks.
Same with working in the wood lot. Carrying 5 gallons is more than enough. Your day is limited by how long there’s sunlight and do you still have the energy to stay safe with power tools.
Yes electric is great but in multiple day to day situations is just doesn’t cut the mustard. It’s a supplement. The boats having new new panels to cut down on generator runs. The electric chain saw is fine if you have to climb to limb before felling. The electric leaf blower is fine except for fall clean up. Electric vehicles are great except for long duration off grid or long haul.
Things will change. Electric semi’s are our future. Probably automatous just like ships. For all its faults “build back America “ is necessary so China doesn’t keep eating our lunch. So the infrastructure will come and the settings where electric doesn’t work will become more infrequent. I’ve been an early adapter on many things. Have a zero footprint house. But I’m happiest where people aren’t. Many people have similar tastes or are in situations where electric just doesn’t cut it. For cruising boats think the future is decreasing power demands. At present that means light, long narrow boats with solar supplements. Current offerings are Al diesel. Next step CF hybrid. Next step depends on advances in material engineering and battery/charging technologies. For present pure electric is for day tripping but just isn’t sufficient for cruising.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #56
Guru

AI, IMO, for boats traveling ICW, is a long way off. So long as there are idiots on PWC, AI may never happen.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:36 AM   #57
Guru

If AI can drive a car through city streets or a truck across the country, I don't doubt it could be adapted to boating. In fact it's probably easier, just not much of a demand so not a priority, at least for recreational boating.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:52 AM   #58

City: Waitamata
Vessel Name: Karinya
Vessel Model: Pelin
Yep - agree with most of the posts here, seems that you should be ok with a cordless weed whacker powdered boat as long as you have a couple of spare batteries if you are planning on going out wide.
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
If AI can drive a car through city streets or a truck across the country, I don't doubt it could be adapted to boating. In fact it's probably easier, just not much of a demand so not a priority, at least for recreational boating.
There have been reports of AI cars hitting people, bikes and other cars so, IMO, AI has ways to go.
Per boats? I remember one incident of a boat on fwd looking sonar coming a rather dramatic stop.... to avoid something. Of course the occupants were a bit shocked and upset. So I think AI will need to defined first.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:55 AM   #60
Guru

Shipping will likely be first adapters. The AI required for a interface between guard zones and AP is fairly straightforward. Optimizing for best VMG per gallon a bit harder but much easier than the mixed environment of land traffic. Beta testing underway now. Believe AIS will be required for all vessels in international waters. Recreational included. Radar would work but doesn’t have the identifiers the insurance and lawyer types would want.
Won’t change my behavior. Have always assumed on passage ships are on AP with a asleep non English speaking crew on watch. After a few days of traveling nice to know if your AIS is still working. Cruise ships will occasionally let you know. Shipping rarely will respond.